Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jay S1

Acne and Diet correlation completely disproved?

Just another thought. When old people have problems, what do they recommend? Prunes, fruits... and etc., very acidic foods. I am assuming most of us here a young healthy adults? We are not old people. That is why I said, you can be too "healthy".

uhm yeah acne got to do with the food you eat . for me i agree . different people have different type of tolerance towards food intake , some food might cause you rashes while some others don't .

and what!!!eating fruits with loads of fructose can cause you acne? since when . i'm eating one whole papaya and nothing happen . fruits and veges are great fibers for your body , and of course they help me to empty my bowels everyday .

Fruits ,veges ,yogurt , water ....

Yo man, fruit is good man! It just prolongs the acne cycle. Fruit, veges, and etc will actually diminish your current acne.

I guess it didn't make sense that I came to these conclusions with 1 person. There are millions of people that arn't affected by acne when they are shoving down garbage in their systems.

It's likely your cousin just grew out of it, or maybe he has made a subconscious change in his diet or lifestyle that had previously been his main problem--getting more sunlight maybe?

How old is he?

I guess it didn't make sense that I came to these conclusions with 1 person. There are millions of people that arn't affected by acne when they are shoving down garbage in their systems.

Remember though, acne isn't the only sign of compromised health. It might look like the people shoving garbage down their systems are unhealthy, but in reality, their skin is only one organ out of many in their body. If they haven't compromised their health yet, within 10 years, they will have.

I'm actually glad I got acne for this reason. I got to adopt a healthy diet early on.

He's 19. That is one of my biggest curiosities in acne. How do people actually 'grow out of it'?

It might just be a normal drop in androgen levels at the end of puberty. Many people don't grow out of it.

And another point about sunlight... I've noticed very tanned people have little to no acne. Maybe there is a strong correlation between sunlight and acne. My cousin is also very tanned.

There you go.

@Danny: a typical serving of fruit (one medium apple, one medium banana, one cup of berries) will have roughly 15 grams of carbs. There's usually at least 5 grams of fructose, but then you also have to account for the sucrose, which is half fructose as you know.

For example, a small apple has 20 grams of carbohydrates. It has 8.7 grams of pure fructose, and 3 grams of sucrose, for a total of about 10 grams of fructose. A medium apple would have about 13 grams.s

This does not surprise me.

Diet can temporarily control inflammation and sebum generally by reducing calories.

Stress and obsession with acne is more of a factor in post puberty persistent acne.

Obsession leads to picking, dieting (deprivation) and using healing slowing topicals that prolong this nonsense.

Your cousin's body has adapted to puberty and I bet he doesn't look in the mirror all the time and come to these boards.

Most people here do not have cystic acne, they just have acne dysmorphia.

They are perfectionists, who need a psychiatrist rather than a dermatologist.

I've always been concerned with what I ate and avoided many foods that has triggered acne. Recently, I've started a whole body detox and have started adding green smoothies and certain fats and supplements such as Cod Liver Oil, and Total EFA. I've started the detox because I was convinced that my body was releasing toxins through the skin because my organs weren't performing very well.

Last weekend I visited my cousin, whom had pretty bad acne. However, when I saw him last weekend, I was shocked at how clear he had gotten. He had always ate a very unhealthy diet consisting of many kinds of fastfoods. So the first thought that came to mind, was that he had changed his eating habits and started some kind of regimen. So I asked him, and he told me he still ate the same diet and he had not done anything much externally.

I was speechless, motionless, thoughless for about 5 minutes.

How can he eat all this garbage and still have clear skin? When I think about eating 1 unhealthy meal I always predict the next breakout.

I understand acne formation varies for many people, and I know he had a much different kind of acne than I had, but we were both prone to breakouts and I just can't understand my theory on acne anymore.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

@Danny: a typical serving of fruit (one medium apple, one medium banana, one cup of berries) will have roughly 15 grams of carbs. There's usually at least 5 grams of fructose, but then you also have to account for the sucrose, which is half fructose as you know.

Well I didn't mean to be accurate, just to point out that it's not so easy to overload on fructose from sugar. If it weren't for sodasand corn syrup we would've never heard of fructose overload.

Here is an interesting website to know more about fructose content of fruit:

http://www.reducetriglycerides.com/diet_tr...sugar_print.htm

I believe digestion has a lot to do with it, this backs up why your cousin got clear. A diet high in fruit and veges, makes your digestive track more acidic.

Why? Every fruit on earth is the opposite of acidic

that is not the reason at all why vitamin C cant be overdosed... vitamin c cant be overdosed coz its water soluble... if you ever try overdosing it, you will get the phenomena called "expensive urin" coz it changes color to strong yellow... oh and btw, actually it can be overdosed. its just very hard to overdose yourself with it. plus you need a great deal of it in you to overdose yourself in the first place. actually the deadly amount of c vitamin goes up to a whole 2.1xx grams per kg bodyweight... so try again yep :<

Edit: Mr. smartypants

I just try to keep my carb intake less than 60 grams a day, I know I go over it by 20 grams sometimes and I eat sugary things with proteins and fiber to keep my blood sugar from spiking. With this rule in place it helps keep me from eating too much fructose etc because I cannot exceed the carb limit. I am also conscious that I can eat more vegetables and meat without worry.

Remember though, acne isn't the only sign of compromised health. It might look like the people shoving garbage down their systems are unhealthy, but in reality, their skin is only one organ out of many in their body. If they haven't compromised their health yet, within 10 years, they will have.

I'm actually glad I got acne for this reason. I got to adopt a healthy diet early on.

So it is likely that they would have some serious health issues in other organs for the people without acne, correct? That is what I want to believe, but then you see people in their 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and up that are eating this garbage but have no problems in their health..

I don't know if I agree for being thankful to acne. It has caused so much psychological effects, and ruined so many opportunities in life, though I must say it has helped me grow as a person to endure such a pain and to live with it everyday. I might actually be thankful once I'm clear... I guess I'm not really living a healthy lifestyle.

What kind of excercise do you do? occasional jogging?

@Danny

Could you answer my previous question Danny?:

"By the way Danny, might you have more info on detoxing? I'm starting a juice fast today, and I've come across the Master Cleanse. I've had very upset stomachs with lemon juices, so I'm avoiding that right now. I'm just juice fasting on apples, other fruits and some veggies. Though I have no clue how long I'll be doing this for. Some say 7 days, 14 days, 21 days, or 30, 40 days.

My goal is 3 weeks (21 days). I've also found this site http://www.doctoryourself.com/juicefast.html

that suggests an 8 day juice fast, 3 days to come off the fast, and then 10 days on mostly raw food diet.

What do you think?

Oh, and any suggestions on how to minimize weight loss during the fast would be greatly appreciated"

This does not surprise me.

Diet can temporarily control inflammation and sebum generally by reducing calories.

Stress and obsession with acne is more of a factor in post puberty persistent acne.

Obsession leads to picking, dieting (deprivation) and using healing slowing topicals that prolong this nonsense.

Your cousin's body has adapted to puberty and I bet he doesn't look in the mirror all the time and come to these boards.

Most people here do not have cystic acne, they just have acne dysmorphia.

They are perfectionists, who need a psychiatrist rather than a dermatologist.

I definitely agree with your point on acne dysmorphia because I certainly did have it. It's most likely not as bad as you think, but it's just the thought of having it that causes you to think negatively.

There's little point coming to this forum and even suggesting that diet may not affect acne because it is frequented by a number of zealots who simply refuse to accept that it may be the case. Personally, no amount of dietary changes made any noticeable difference to my severe acne. Luckily I took one course of accutane over two years ago and that did the trick for me (although I appreciate not everyone is as fortunate). Now I eat what I want and don't suffer from more than the old pimple here and there. I rarely come to this site now but looking it reminds me of how good it feels to be free of all the ridiculously strict and complicated regimes to follow for allegedly acne free skin, which never, EVER, became acne free or even significantly better. By all means give dietary changes a try to see if it works for you. But it, like most acne treatments, may not be the cure all for everyone.

Yeah I rarely come here now, like you it reminds me of the ridiculous stuff I used to do and dogmatically preach, which I can laugh about now. I did not need Accutane just needed to get a life.

There's little point coming to this forum and even suggesting that diet may not affect acne because it is frequented by a number of zealots who simply refuse to accept that it may be the case. Personally, no amount of dietary changes made any noticeable difference to my severe acne. Luckily I took one course of accutane over two years ago and that did the trick for me (although I appreciate not everyone is as fortunate). Now I eat what I want

So basically you didn't get the chance to use an apparently negative condition to improve your life. You have gained a clear skin and will suffer the same health consequences everyone does while you had been given a chance to be avoid all that unnecessary sufference.

"There's little point coming to this forum and even suggesting that diet may not affect acne because it is frequented by a number of zealots who simply refuse to accept that it may be the case.....But it, like most acne treatments, may not be the cure all for everyone."

This doesn't make any sense. None of us are saying diet is the ONLY way to cure acne. All we're saying is it's a definate possibility, and if we try and end up having acne anyway, at least it opened up our eyes on a healthier way of living. What happens most frequently is someone comes up with an absolute qualifier like "diet has NOTHING AT ALL to do with acne on ANYONE AT ALL," despite success stories and pictures, scientific evidence, personal experiences, etc. And when you have an obvious contradiction like that, I hardly think anyone's a "zealot" for defending what they know to have worked for them.

I'm such a diet "zealot" I'll argue that you taking tane was a dietary change. DIET CURED YOUR ACNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go figure, people who believe diet has a correlation are in a DIET forum. Republicans are at a republic convention, WTF!!!!! Democrats are at a democratic convention. OH MY GOD SO NARROW MINDED.

(Joking)

"There's little point coming to this forum and even suggesting that diet may not affect acne because it is frequented by a number of zealots who simply refuse to accept that it may be the case.....But it, like most acne treatments, may not be the cure all for everyone."

This doesn't make any sense. None of us are saying diet is the ONLY way to cure acne. All we're saying is it's a definate possibility, and if we try and end up having acne anyway, at least it opened up our eyes on a healthier way of living. What happens most frequently is someone comes up with an absolute qualifier like "diet has NOTHING AT ALL to do with acne on ANYONE AT ALL," despite success stories and pictures, scientific evidence, personal experiences, etc. And when you have an obvious contradiction like that, I hardly think anyone's a "zealot" for defending what they know to have worked for them.

Amen brotha

You can overdose on vitamin C, don't think you can't just because its a water soluble vitamin. I just was talking to my TCM and he told me I overdosed on vitamin C. That is why fruits, vegetables, milk, and soft drinks effect me (when I mentioned stomach acids). So again, I am just trying to bring across that you can be too "healthy". This is what he told me.

Don't follow the following diet unless you are under watch by a TCM, but I am supposed to eat "unhealthy" for 48 hrs. Only Brown Rice, Pasta, boiled eggs, red meat, brown toast, deep fried foods, oils, and water. Nothing else, then he says to introduce vit. C back into my system gradually.

So the moral of the story, you can overdose on anything.

Funny thing about this forum is that every time you log on, there's a thread about "how people eat all type of crap and don't break out".

C'mon... it's like an overweight person asking somebody with a fast metabolism why he's eating so much and he never gains any weight.

Get real, we are all different....

"Fast metabolism is a myth"

Soooooo how can a teenager who eats 3000 calories a day maintain weight while 40 years later if he ate the same amount of calories he starts piling on pounds? And isn't the way men are able to eat more calories than women without gaining weight a difference in metabolism or what?

"Fast metabolism is a myth"

Soooooo how can a teenager who eats 3000 calories a day maintain weight while 40 years later if he ate the same amount of calories he starts piling on pounds? And isn't the way men are able to eat more calories than women without gaining weight a difference in metabolism or what?

Teenagers tend to have more lean body mass and lean body mass burns more calories at rest.

This has nothing to do with age per se but with the fact that generally in the western world people become "old" after age 30 and they start to move less, eat more and experience a sedentary life. Teenagers usually run, move a lot and often do sport. They spend a lot of calories on NEAT (non exercise activity thermogenesis) like studying, talking on the phone, walking to and from school, carrying heavy bags on their shoulders. When a teeneger is sedentary and doesn't consume much calories with activity or NEAT he/she easily gets overweight like anyone else.

The difference between a slow metabolism and a fast metabolism do exist.

The myth is that they makes the difference between skinniness and obsesity.

It has been calculated that the maximum variation in metabolism between a slow metabolizer and a fast metabolizer is 9%.

That means that if the person with a slow metabolism must eat 1800 calories. The person with a fast metabolism can eat 150 calories more. 150 calories more would never make the difference between a thin person and an obese one. And the metabolism is not something fixed you're born with. A slow metabolism can easily be normalized through physical activity, body fat loss and lean body mass gains. But again those 150 calories more are not going to make such a difference.

Consider that most people to gain all the fat they gained through the years needs an excess of around 600 calories or more. And most people to start losing fat at an appreciable rate needs a reduction of at least 500 calories. 150 calories are nothing in comparison.

You can overdose on vitamin C, don't think you can't just because its a water soluble vitamin. I just was talking to my TCM and he told me I overdosed on vitamin C. That is why fruits, vegetables, milk, and soft drinks effect me (when I mentioned stomach acids). So again, I am just trying to bring across that you can be too "healthy". This is what he told me.

wtf?

Milk and soda cause you to overdose on Vitamin C? Both of those have only have trace amounts of the stuff. And it's just about impossible to overdose on Vitamin C from produce--you'd overdose on sugar faster than Vitamin C.

There's little point coming to this forum and even suggesting that diet may not affect acne because it is frequented by a number of zealots who simply refuse to accept that it may be the case. Personally, no amount of dietary changes made any noticeable difference to my severe acne. Luckily I took one course of accutane over two years ago and that did the trick for me (although I appreciate not everyone is as fortunate). Now I eat what I want

So basically you didn't get the chance to use an apparently negative condition to improve your life. You have gained a clear skin and will suffer the same health consequences everyone does while you had been given a chance to be avoid all that unnecessary sufference.

Your preaching is wasted on me Danny. I swore of all medication for 2 long years and went the natural route. All it got me was more acne / scars and depression. Life is way to short and meant for living. You assume that "I now eat what I want" means I pig out on junk food. You assumption is wrong. There are many diets that could be considered healthy but would not be acceptable on a typical anti-acne diet. Meditteranean diets, for example considered to be healthy, but try telling an Italian not to eat wheat pasta.