Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jay S1

Acne and Diet correlation completely disproved?

I've always been concerned with what I ate and avoided many foods that has triggered acne. Recently, I've started a whole body detox and have started adding green smoothies and certain fats and supplements such as Cod Liver Oil, and Total EFA. I've started the detox because I was convinced that my body was releasing toxins through the skin because my organs weren't performing very well.

Last weekend I visited my cousin, whom had pretty bad acne. However, when I saw him last weekend, I was shocked at how clear he had gotten. He had always ate a very unhealthy diet consisting of many kinds of fastfoods. So the first thought that came to mind, was that he had changed his eating habits and started some kind of regimen. So I asked him, and he told me he still ate the same diet and he had not done anything much externally.

I was speechless, motionless, thoughless for about 5 minutes.

How can he eat all this garbage and still have clear skin? When I think about eating 1 unhealthy meal I always predict the next breakout.

I understand acne formation varies for many people, and I know he had a much different kind of acne than I had, but we were both prone to breakouts and I just can't understand my theory on acne anymore.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

It's likely your cousin just grew out of it, or maybe he has made a subconscious change in his diet or lifestyle that had previously been his main problem--getting more sunlight maybe?

How old is he?

It's likely your cousin just grew out of it, or maybe he has made a subconscious change in his diet or lifestyle that had previously been his main problem--getting more sunlight maybe?

How old is he?

Yeah he probably just grew out of it. My acne was severe at 14-15 but after 16 it cleared up to 1-5 small zits at a time with no change of habits. In fact, when I had svere acne I ate pretty healthy, it was just hormones.

Diet has NOTHING to do with acne. Acne has 3 main contributing factors,

(simplified)

1. your skin sheds wrong and the pours get clogged

=unless your food changes the way your skin grows, no effect

2. P. acnes overgrowth/ sebum overproduction : this is an anaerobic bacterium it lives off the sebum your body produces. If you overproduce sebum the bacteria will overgrow and cause acne.

=If you can reduce sebum production through your diet then no-one would ever need accutane and people from other countries with different diets would not have this problem.

3. Hormones: hormonal changes in puberty cause acne:

= not their is some credit in that if you starve or malnurish yourself you won't hit puberty until later and you may not be able to produce enough hormones. Causing permanent body damage during puberty might help but again, unless you can think of a food the stops or starts puberty, food isn't going to help.

"Acne is not caused by foods." American Academy of Dermatology

3. Hormones: hormonal changes in puberty cause acne:

= not their is some credit in that if you starve or malnurish yourself you won't hit puberty until later and you may not be able to produce enough hormones. Causing permanent body damage during puberty might help but again, unless you can think of a food the stops or starts puberty, food isn't going to help.

We have all the hormones we will have after "puberty" even at 6 year old and even at 2 year old. "Puberty" is a myth and in truth it begins in the womb not at 12 year old. We're not supposed to have a sudden rush increase in hormones because the body has no use for it. We're supposed to have a steady development of the hormonal system which is what happens to healthy people in healthy societies. If you find yourself at that age having a growth spurt, growing in a way that your body proportions are disrupted and getting "hormonal rollecoasters" playing havoc with your skin, health and mood; it is nothing but the fault of your lifestyle and your dietbecause it is simply not supposed to happen and correlated with several health risks and disease. There's nothing natural in growth spurts and hormone disruption at whatever age. I agree that acne is not caused by specific food ala "I eat chocolate, I get a pimple" but our whole body is influenced by the way we choose to nourish it, so is your natural hormonal balance, our immune system and our metabolism.

This doesn't prove anything. There have been numerous studies that show explicit evidence that diet does indeed affect acne. The American Academy of Dermatology, in turn, has no evidence that diet does not affect acne. They make that statement because dermatologists don't make as much money if they tell their patients to improve their diet. This is a country where we are relying more and more on synthetic drugs to fix our problems; no matter how effective a healthy diet is for fighting disease, it would just be a step back in the eyes of the health industries to acknowledge this. I would trust the A.A.D. with their statements about their topicals and drugs; after all, that's what they love to specialize in. But I don't trust their statements about diet any more than I would trust a supermodel about diet; at least not until they can back their claims up with substantial evidence, which so far they have failed to do. Diet is not their area of study, and most of them are hardly qualified to make statements about diet.

This doesn't prove anything. There have been numerous studies that show explicit evidence that diet does indeed affect acne. The American Academy of Dermatology, in turn, has no evidence that diet does not affect acne. They make that statement because dermatologists don't make as much money if they tell their patients to improve their diet.

Also the problem is that most studies they know just tested specific pop-culture foods like chocolate or pizza in isolation to determine whether their unhealthy diet plus chocolate or plus pizza or plus cheese or whatever caused worse acne by counting the amount of pimples within a month. Now how many here really believe that adding chocolate to a typical unhealthy diet of french fries, sandwiches, fried foods and hamburgers is going to make a difference. They never tested nutritional regimens per se.

You are what you eat or rather, "you are what you ate" -- but still diet has no role to play for some people with acne.

There are some people who will never get acne, no matter what they do, their entire organs might become cancer blobs, but they will never get a blemish.

Right at this minute, no company, or organisation is fully studying the reasons for acne. You might hear about viruses being used to target it, what comes of it? nothing. You might hear about phages (better than anti biotics) being used to 'eat' P. acnes, what comes of it? nothing.

You might hear about P. acnes genome being sequenced, what comes of it? nothing, rather more you see that they have no clue, since P. acnes is the last in the chain of what causes acne.

The standard 'treatments' are the same, topicals, antibiotics, accutane, if they don't work, you are f*cked, try again!

Some people clear up out of their teens, HORMONES they say, never mind that human beings have peak hormones ALL THE TIME until late 40s! what? yes, check it out.

242zddl.jpg

So, why do you have acne? well, you are alone in figuring that out, the derm doesn't really know.

Dead skin cells? rather dead FAT cells, why do you have too many? no idea.

Why is your sebum profile different? No idea.

Why is your body near auto immune in attacking itself? No Idea.

GENETICS? Well, no one else in my family has it (not grandparents, parents, cousins..)

In the end, if you find something that is working, you won't really be able to translate it into a univeral truth that works for everyone else!

Why does this baby have acne? the mother doesn't, sure the hormone levels would be translated?

ff4v94.jpg

There are people in this world who don't get regular meals, they sure as hell don't get their Omega 3/6 ratios, the right amount of zinc and such, yet have healthy skin. So does that mean YOU don't need Omega 3/6 ratio correction or Zinc?

disproved by one person, ok. well you can change your diet back to eating cheetos and tell us what happens. :snooty:

I don't care about the people who never get acne even if they spend their whole day sniffing the car smog directly from the exhaust. But I care about the fact that a person with an healthy lifestyle, diet, caloric balance and daily physical activity won't develop acne or at least won't develop chronic acne but might get an acute form lasting a week at most. Actually the healthier a people is the more likely he or she is to develop an acute acne when something doesn't work. It's like fever. The people who got high fever most often are the healthiest. Those who are sick without fever or very low fever are not.

I've always been concerned with what I ate and avoided many foods that has triggered acne. Recently, I've started a whole body detox and have started adding green smoothies and certain fats and supplements such as Cod Liver Oil, and Total EFA. I've started the detox because I was convinced that my body was releasing toxins through the skin because my organs weren't performing very well.

Last weekend I visited my cousin, whom had pretty bad acne. However, when I saw him last weekend, I was shocked at how clear he had gotten. He had always ate a very unhealthy diet consisting of many kinds of fastfoods. So the first thought that came to mind, was that he had changed his eating habits and started some kind of regimen. So I asked him, and he told me he still ate the same diet and he had not done anything much externally.

I was speechless, motionless, thoughless for about 5 minutes.

How can he eat all this garbage and still have clear skin? When I think about eating 1 unhealthy meal I always predict the next breakout.

I understand acne formation varies for many people, and I know he had a much different kind of acne than I had, but we were both prone to breakouts and I just can't understand my theory on acne anymore.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Because your cousin had not done anything externally, can we also "completely" eliminate the correlation between topical solutions and external methods as well?

Because your cousin had not done anything externally, can we also "completely" eliminate the correlation between topical solutions and external methods as well?

And antibiotics. And accutane.

Diet and lifestyle habits effect: digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, hormone balance, SHBG levels, Insulin resistance, inflammation, cell function and turnover, sebum quality, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc, etc.

And those things effect acne.

Studies on diet's effect on acne or other hormone issues:

Low GL diet helps acne article in medical journal:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/77676.php

Article on Low GI study

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/86/1/107

Another one referring to the study:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Low...9641420053.html

RMIT study:

http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse/News%20and%2...16ry1r;STATUS=A

Study on Acne-free island population

http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/138/12/1584.pdf

Study on association b/w acne and prostrate cancer w/diet IGF1 and androgens in conclusion. -- in other words --hormones!

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/161/12/1094

Study on diet effecting PMS in other words--hormones!

http://www.greenjournal.org/cgi/content/full/95/2/245

Man, I still think acne and diet is related. The term, "healthy" has gotten contorted by people. Example, I am convinced that eating any type of fruit will prolong your acne. Fruit just smoothens the acne cycle, in return makes the acne cycle longer. For example, you won't see huge breakouts.

I believe digestion has a lot to do with it, this backs up why your cousin got clear. A diet high in fruit and veges, makes your digestive track more acidic. Which throws your whole system out of wack. Too much of one thing throws other parts of your body off. Now I am not saying follow what your cousin did, but I think one can be too "healthy" and eating right does not necessarily mean a diet of only fruit, veges, and chicken (all these foods contribute to stomach acid).

Just a note: eggs tend to be on the base side. That may be why a lot of people are seeing benefits from hard-boiled eggs.

I believe digestion has a lot to do with it, this backs up why your cousin got clear. A diet high in fruit and veges, makes your digestive track more acidic.

Why? Every fruit on earth is the opposite of acidic

I believe digestion has a lot to do with it, this backs up why your cousin got clear. A diet high in fruit and veges, makes your digestive track more acidic.

?? Think about it and read some articles. All fruits have sugar and in your stomach sugar makes your digestive track more acidic. That is why orange juice is a killer, very acidic. Vitamin C can not be overdosed because of absorbic acid.... the list keeps going.

?? Think about it and read some articles. All fruits have sugar and in your stomach sugar makes your digestive track more acidic. That is why orange juice is a killer, very acidic. Vitamin C can not be overdosed because of absorbic acid.... the list keeps going.

so does this mean we're not supposed to eat lots of fruits and veges? :unsure:

The way I figure it, is do you want to have mild acne for 4 years or do you want to have real bad acne for 4 months. I think either way you will get clear, but just the time it takes for you to get clear is the difference. Anyways, if you follow Dan's regimen, then I don't believe you will have bad breakouts, so I am leaning towards the 4 months.

Please don't mis-understand me, you need fruits and veges, but try to get the less acidic ones. Blueberries are a good balanced ph fruit, but don't go stir crazy and eat a pint a day of blueberries. oranges are more acidic, basically 6oz of orange juice is about a pint of blueberries, with respect to ph.

The way I figure it, is do you want to have mild acne for 4 years or do you want to have real bad acne for 4 months. I think either way you will get clear, but just the time it takes for you to get clear is the difference. Anyways, if you follow Dan's regimen, then I don't believe you will have bad breakouts, so I am leaning towards the 4 months.

Please don't mis-understand me, you need fruits and veges, but try to get the less acidic ones. Blueberries are a good balanced ph fruit, but don't go stir crazy and eat a pint a day of blueberries. oranges are more acidic, basically 6oz of orange juice is about a pint of blueberries, with respect to ph.

i usually have one apple and one glass of orange juice a day which i think is alright per day because i dont want to over do it either.

To be honest with you, try to change it around. That sounds like a lot of acid because I am assuming you eat veges too. Check out a little blurp from a article they posted on about:

Acid forming foods

One important thing to keep in mind is that the acid forming foods are important foods. They provide very important vitamins, minerals, proteins, fats and fiber. A diet is not complete without them. However, if these acid forming foods compose more than 20% of the diet (and in most Americans they compose over 90% of the diet) then as we age, and the body becomes less efficient , the cells of the body become more and more acidic.

Not true because fruits contains way more basics than acids.

Once metabolized whatever fruit release an high net alkaline load because of the potassium citrated and malate witch is turned into potassium bicarbonate. The acids of fruits are way less acidic than the acids of the stomach. They can't make the digestive system acidic but they do release a lot of alkaline ashes at the end of the metabolic process. Lemon is strongly alkaline for example.

So, what is enough fruit a day???????

what is enough vegetables a day???????

Is it like 1 apple a day

and like 3 servings of vegetables a day?

Basically is it like in the am, I can have 1 apple..

for lunch a salad.

and for dinner, another salad, and some lean meat/fish?

I am trying o understand what is enough of veggeies and fuits that wont be too much of anythng..

Also bosR, when I was doing the whole no fuit thing and only doing vegetables and lean meats..I was still having digestion issues,so why was that if I was not eating any fruits?

So, what is enough fruit a day???????

what is enough vegetables a day???????

Is it like 1 apple a day

Provided you have a good caloric balance the only limit of fruit if fructose.

You shouldn't exceed 60 grams of fructose a day.

Usually a piece of fruit contains 4 to 6 grams of fructose.

I don't see anything wrong with 3-6 pieces of fruits expecially now in the summer.

and like 3 servings of vegetables a day?

With vegetables you don't have limit.

Now saying you don't have limit means that you don't have to calculate, think too much or restrain yourself. It of course doesn't mean either that you must have a contest with yourself on how much vegetables can you shove down your throat in less than 5 minutes.

Also bosR, when I was doing the whole no fuit thing and only doing vegetables and lean meats..I was still having digestion issues,so why was that if I was not eating any fruits?

There are millions of causes for digestive issues

Some people just don't digest meal well, some people choose the less digestive meat rich in connective tissue, cartilage and fibrous flesh. Some people cook fast-cooking meat too much and slow-cooking meat to little. Some people burn their foods. Some people simply eat to much. Some people eat too quickly and don't chew properly. Some people don't sleep and this slow down the digestive system. And more ...

Danny, I don't want to start a big argument, but I do agree with what your statement. But have you ever heard of the lemon diet?

http://www.orange.co.uk/diet/findadiet/314...ethomelinkslist

What the experts say: At first glance, this seems like yet another quirky diet – drinking lemon juice with warm water every morning sounds a bit faddy. But when you look into it and realize that studies suggest lemons may help dieters in a number of ways, suddenly it doesn’t sound so quirky. One US study found that the pectin in lemons can eliminate the urge to eat for up to four hours, as well as helping to balance blood sugar levels by preventing absorption of sugar too quickly. Lemon juice also makes the digestive system more acidic which indirectly helps cells to burn more fat. In addition to drinking lemon juice, this diet works on good, sound weight-loss principles found in many diets, including avoiding saturated fats, eating more whole foods and reducing your sugar intake. I’m pleased to see this diet isn’t faddy and I wouldn’t have a problem recommending this diet.