Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Facial Hair Removers...

I tend to get shaving rash or razor burn or whatever you call it on my neck. So I was wondering... Would it be OK for a guy to use this?

http://naircare.com/products/sens_facecream.aspx

Basically I think I would still shave on my face but use this on my neck as that is really the only place I get those red shaving bumps. I know that's weird to ask as a guy but what do you all think? Is there anything out there for guys?

I don't know about you, but whenever I use Nair, I still get the bumps and it gets really itchy. I would just use it with caution if I would you, and quite sparingly. Maybe you could try it on a little patch first to make sure it works and doesn't irritate you too much. For me, even the Sensitive Skin Bikini stuff gives me bumps.

Just don't use it longer than recommended if you do get it!

Have you tried shaving in the same direction as the hair grows on your neck? I'd be suuuper careful with the Nair, if that's what you decide to use. I've never had great results with it, and I've only ever used it on my super fine girly hair. Plus, if you shave and then get Nair on any area where you shaved (like along your jawline or anything), it's gonna burn like hell and get ridiculously red.

Maybe you could just use Bikini Zone gel, like an aftershave. It's made for women to use on their, well, bikini zone, since that area is prone to irritation after shaving. I've used this stuff before and it was great. It stung a little bit when I put it on, but it kept me from getting after-shaving bumps. Plus, since it's made to use after shaving, you wouldn't have to worry about the whole Nair/shaving/irritation/burning/redness thing.

http://store.facevaluesonline.com/018515016041.html

Nair, as with all depilatory creams, can be very harsh. It sounds so good: apply a cream, wipe it off, hair is gone! But how is the hair just "gone"? Well, chemicals are dissolving the hair....so imagine what irritation those same chemicals can cause on the skin. With coarser hair, it is sometimes not strong enough to dissolve the hair either. Personally, Nair leaves me with a red rash and all the hair in place :rolleyes: . It can be very irritating to sensitive skin.

If you want to try it, follow the directions carefully and test a small patch area first. Do not apply it to broken or already irritated skin...as mentioned, it will make things far worse.

What I use on my legs for shaving irritation is Thayer's witch hazel with lavender & aloe. It's super soothing & doesn't sting for me.

I also agree with shaving with the grain of the hair for less irritation...it won't be the closest shave, but a slight stubble may be better than irritation.

I know it was probably weird as I guy to ask that question but I was just thinking that if it worked on womens legs, why not a guys face and looked up facial hair removers. It would probably burn my face off though >.< I'll keep looking and see what I can find.

Note, right now I use an electric razor, is a normal razor better? I've never used one.

Maybe you could just use Bikini Zone gel, like an aftershave. It's made for women to use on their, well, bikini zone, since that area is prone to irritation after shaving. I've used this stuff before and it was great. It stung a little bit when I put it on, but it kept me from getting after-shaving bumps. Plus, since it's made to use after shaving, you wouldn't have to worry about the whole Nair/shaving/irritation/burning/redness thing.

http://store.facevaluesonline.com/018515016041.html

AGREED! I used to get TERRIBLE shaving bumps on my underarms, even when I used tons of sensitive formula shave gel. Now I exfoliate with a baking soda paste, shave with sensitive shave gel, and then put monistat anti-chafing powder gel on THEN put Dove ultimate clear deodorant (its supposed to be easier than others-1/4 moisturizers or something)----and with this regimen very very little shaving bumps and they are not too big or noticeable.

This regimen would probably help with your neck-I would imagine that neck skin and underarm skin isn't too different.