Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
the who?

Everyone should watch this video

I have no bloody idea, that's why I'm here. But I hope you didn't seriously think it was just "bad thinking", which could be healed by praying oO. Well it actually might work due to the placebo effect, but that'll only work for a few believers

Im not sure you understand the entire concept here. I hope you will agree that we are all pretty much equal in our ignorance, as this is our god given natural state, and theres nothing shameful of embracing that truth, its the blindness of our natural ignorant state by the ego that makes the mind a stagnant cesspool, to cling a little too tightly to things we "know" that sends us over the edge, those dogmatic tendancies hurt us.

Are you aware of psychoneuroimmunology, or rather the legitimate study of how the brain is connected to the nervous system and immune system, this is closly related to this area of research, as you know inflammation is a function of immune response, so perhaps your brain has something to do with it, but hell if i know, we are just here to explore possibilites. Is there a connection to our state of mind to inflammatory disease?? is it the cause?? who knows? but exploring the idea is real science, exploring all possiblities is real science thats what hypothesis generation is all about, its only limited by your imagination, when you observe with the ability to consider all possiblitys, you will be able to see clearer, as now you will not be limiting yourself to what is already known as the mind has a tendancy to see what it expects to see, or what has seen before. Just because we consider possibilitys or different hypothesis or theories doesnt mean we have to accept them 100% to consider them.

Ok sorry for rambling.

The big ideas are whats important, which is why im staying out of petty arguments about details between people that hold very different beliefs. People have very different views, thats ok. All im saying is its pointless to discuss this with someone that doesn't believe in the existence of the mind. Dont argue about right or wrong. Just know what you believe and run with it.

This has nothing to do with belief, this IS just about right or wrong. There is nothing more in our head than a brain, that's fact. Everyone who beliefs there's in a "soul" or some form of mystical singularity in there is wrong. Same of changing genes: impossible. It's that easy. It's called science. And it works.

If you don't accept that, it's your personal choice. But I think this forum is a place to discuss REAL issues on a scientific basis. Otherwise we could turn rename this into "voodoo central".

Yeah, thats what I was saying. You believe something fundamentally different than me, so theres really no discussion to be had.

Hey Everyone,

I'm glad this video has caused such a heated discussion. I think it would be reckless to call this forum "holistic health" without addressing the mental aspect of healing.

There is really no argument as to whether our beliefs affect our physiology. It is a scientific fact, and once again I will cite the well-documented placebo affect as proof.

When you say "It's just placebo" you are saying exactly what Bruce Lipton is saying - Your beliefs have the ability to influence your physiology. I think this is an important thing to realize.

I read so many reports of people saying "this or that cured my acne for two weeks, then I started breaking out again." Why is that?

It's because for the first two weeks or so you BELIEVE it will work so it does. Then you might have a small breakout (as almost everyone does every once and awhile, regardless or whether or not they are acne sufferers), and you stop believing in the effectiveness of the method and the acne returns.

I have experienced this first hand multiple times. I realized that If I simply believed that my body was capable of healing itself, I could prolong the placebo for eternity and make it a reality.

I am not saying that you shouldn't eat right or exercise - I am simply encouraging a Holistic approach to healing which, in my opinion, cannot be truly achieved without addressing the mind/body connection and belief.

I have much more to discuss in relation to this topic and I will probably start a more general thread in the near future.

I never argued that the brain can have an effect on the body (via placebo or otherwise). My point was that it can't change the genes, which is was Lipton said.

But if everyone's point was just about that brain->body influence, I'm still wondering what draws you to Lipton. I'm sure there are many motivational speakers out there, who don't even try to explain their speech via quantum physics. What's so special about him?

I never argued that the brain can have an effect on the body (via placebo or otherwise). My point was that it can't change the genes, which is was Lipton said.

But if everyone's point was just about that brain->body influence, I'm still wondering what draws you to Lipton. I'm sure there are many motivational speakers out there, who don't even try to explain their speech via quantum physics. What's so special about him?

what are you doing for your acne right now???

People with acne aren't all stressed out of their minds because of it,

lol...wrong generalization to make. Go to the psychological forum then come back and tell me otherwise. And yes diet is still a major factor, its all about the well being of the mind AND body together.

While there's a lot of stuff in there that's arguable to say the least, I still found it very interesting (parts of it, at least). Especially the stress related stuff and e.g. the embryo adapting to its prenatal environment - all definitely worth some thought. And the basic idea of being more positive and assuming responsibility for yourself - who can argue about that?

In that case, how come when I didn't care about my acne in my teenage years and was regularly a pretty happy person in general, it was just as fucked up as ever?

im wondering since there are so many things that have been found to stimulate the sebacous glands, that acne during the teen years was due to hormones exclusively, just giving you a hint of your predisposition to the disease, of course this is all hypothetical and its hard to explain this stuff to any degree. i tried to remember what was hapening as i first noticed any acne at all, puberty was a storng correlation seeing small signs at 13/14 but wouldnt get real bad until 17/18 this was the time i was the most depressed, the furthest from my friends since we had moved and got the least attention from my family, i really was mentally unstable and so was my brother, he ended up never finishing highschool whereas i struggled to get through my last two years, i was socially akward to begin with and definitly suffered from major anxiety depression for years at my young age, i grew up in a really bad family where i was emotionally neglected and pretty much treated like a second class citizen by everyone, it was pretty horrible timebut it took me years to realize that this life conditino wasnt normal and wasnt good as when i went to my mom my only gaurdian, she told me that people just get used to being depressed at some point, so i accepted feeling like shit at a young age as i really loved my mom and respected her and never thought that i could ever feel anybetter then how i felt, which was entirely wrong and now that i look back i never really understood any of my emotions very well at all because of this. I did have a few close friends which was the only thing that helped. My it has only been until the last year that ive really seen the bad influence my family has had on me and ive decided to completely break ties with them to forget every memory so i can hopefully experiance a greater sense of well baing as seeing that emotional turmoil mau be closely related to my disease, its the best explanation i could think of and all i really got besides accutane and diet. Out of sight out of mind is a concept im applying to my life as mood and environment are closely related, i dont want to remember anything related to the family that was supposed to be responsible for me. I tried forgiving inside but the memories dont fade and never fade because whenever i see them it all comes back, there isnt any mind tricks i can employ on this one, as much as i want to appreciate having a family at all, i do but once that negativity is realized its hard to forget i almost would like to not see the truth, to be blissfully ignorant but for some reason i want to live a truly happy life, pretty crazy huh?? this is all ill ever know, i dont have time to make compromises or be nice.

I was the most clear when i was on doxycycline and this is because it affects the immune system, but the mind and the immune system are connected, and the difference is mood , stress or depression will depress your immune system, so that is part of my reasoning for focusing on day to day moods and what affects them.

you are my twin.

what are you doing for your acne right now???

Although I don't know what that has to do with Lipton: Sports and gluten- and sugar-free diet atm.

I just watched the first part (well skipped some parts about atoms and shit) and he has a good point that you're not controlled by your genes, but by your perception of the environment / your beliefs, but thats nothing new.

He said that your genes adapt to your beliefs and that your beliefs can change your genes, but thats just not possible. How can he say that shit :/ Cells can change... but genes: no.

Um, forgive me because I haven't watched the video.

But is he saying that we have a large influence on our genes by the way we think? If so, what is his opinion on inherited diseases?

But if he is talking about the ability of the environment (which also includes the intra and extra cellular environment) to influence genes, then yeah, theres a field of science called epigenetics that studies this.

Negative thinking leads to stress, which leads to an increase in cortisol and inflammatory molecules which damage the body. It can also lead to other things such as lack of sleep and therefore a decreased immune system, diabetes, weight gain, etc. etc.

So there is some value in positive thinking. I think research has shown that patients that were given anti-depressants also healed faster after surgery due to the increase in serotonin levels.

Things like diet, sleep, pollution, etc can also have effects on the genes, but this has been known since like the 60s.

But genes make you who you are. No amount of wishful thinking is going to change a child with an inherited disease for the better, because you still inherit what genes you have from your parents that make you different from others.