Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skinquest

Profractional Results Pretty Good

I've only had one profractional treatment a few months ago. I am happy with the result and will go for another one in October. I decided not to have them back to back and my doctor didn't think it would make a difference if I waited six months in between. Next time I am going to have profractional followed immediately by the sciton peel. The profractional works from within the skin and the peel will work from the top down.

I did not go out of the house for a week and a half after my first PF, and I needed a fair amount of makeup to cover up the little holes that looked like scabs for quite a while after that. However, I feel that it was worth it, assuming this result holds. I got about a 30 - 40% improvement, especially on the cheek area. A few months after PF, I started microdermabrasion every 4 to 6 weeks. I feel like it is maintaining my result.

Doesn't it make sense to wait at least several months to let the collagen build before getting another treatment? They told me to wait at least two months.

It does hurt if they go deep and there is down-time, but it seems to make a difference that is holding so far so I give it high marks at this point.

I agree that it makes sense to wait 2 months between treatments. For example, if you do them 3 weeks apart and treat 20% and 20% of the area, why not just do 1 40% area treatment. Let everything form and then go for another treatment.

I'm not quite sure what you're worried about in regards to maintaining the results, as the results are permanent as it's your regrown collagen. There's no maintaenance involved. What you get is what you'll have.

The one thing that I do question is that if the downtime is significantly more than was promised, maybe going for a 1-time ablative procedure might make more sense? I would be curious to know if there are any good ablative lasers for depressed scars, especially if it's a 1 shot deal. I'd rather have 1 4-6 weeks of downtime procedure rather than 3 3-week downtime procedures which are spread out across several months.

Anyone agree?

I find it interesting that you're both saying to wait a few months in between. The pamphlet that I was also given states that profractional is typically done spaced 3-6 weeks apart depending on your needs. I think my needs are so severe that they plan on going deep each time and even after 6-7 treatments the nurse said I'd only be halfway there. Seeing as how my scars are only 5-6 months old I am hoping that I will notice vast improvement after at least 2-3 times of doing it. They said they were giving me an extreme discount and right now my procedures are practically free so they have nothing to gain from this. They were rather eager to correct my problem and seemed very confident I would be pleased with the end results. My dermatologist I have been told by several people is one of the best and given how bad my scars are he told me he had treated someone with far worse scars than me and in the same manner they were about to treat mine spaced this much apart and the guy's face is now almost 100 percent clear.

I will definitely keep everyone updated on how my first treatment goes. I live in Canada by the way and the nurse I spoke to is quite well trained with this particular laser. She had this laser done on herself as well because she said she doesn't want to see wrinkles on her face and her face looked amazing. No lines whatsoever. She is about 40 but looks 30.

Femme Fatale: What I meant to say is that there is probably no harm in waiting between treatments, plus it allows time for the collagen to form after each treatment. I didn't mean that if you did them closer together you won't get a good result. I just prefer to go more slowly. I am sure if I had an extreme situation like you are describing, I would probably be more anxious to get the treatments done in a shorter time frame.

I will be very interested to hear about your experience while going through the treatments and also, of course, the result. If it's 100%, or even close to it, that would be phenomenal. Sounds like you're in good hands.

Dddram: I am getting the microderms because although I got a good result, it is not 100%. I think having the dead skin removed every month gives a smoother appearance to what was not resolved by the PF.

You mentioned a one-time ablative procedure instead of multiple PF treatments. I had a CO2 peel which required major downtime and I got a substantial result for it, but it's not 100%. There is a downside of pigmentation problems afterwards. I wish I had had the PF treatments availabe that seems to avoid the pigment issues, since they are a whole other problem to deal with and it is permanent.

Yes unfortunately the minor scarring I had prior to what I did with the chemical peel is nothing compared to this. Some of my scars are more than 1 mm deep and one of them is more than an inch long. I have cut myself off from pretty much all my friends and I have been crying nonstop for months now. I don't go anywhere or do anything. This is not something I can cover up with makeup at all.

The scars are all scattered and uneven on one cheek in particular which is why the dermatologist actually said he felt so bad for my situation that he would just take me on as a project and do it for free something my mom and I were surprised at but he is also a friend of a family friend of ours who also probably insisted on giving me an extreme discount.

My appointments tomorrow and I am quite nervous. I'll be sure to post about how it went.

Do any of you use Tazorac? My dermatologist said that retinoids help quite a bit not as much as a chemical peel or laser would but used over time it can be beneficial. I am not currently using it because of all these laser treatments I will be getting but plan on using it daily once I am done with my treatments.

Your situation sounds devastating. I really, really hope that the doctors can deliver the results that they thought were possible. I am not familiar with the medication you were asking about but I think it is mentioned throughout the forum. Sounds like you'll be busy with PF treatments for a while to come. Keep us posted and good luck.

3 scars on nose from chiropractor using a laser to treat my rosacea. 2 profractional treatments. 2-3 months downtime. At least 50-60% improvement. Those are my results.

I need to correct this. I've had 2 PF (profractional )treatments done with 25-30% improvement. I'ts been 9 months since my last PF treatment and my skin is still slightly discolored. It will probably be another 3-6 months before my skin returns to its normal color. Has anyone else had problems with discoloration for this long after their PF treatment?

Bottom line: Profractional = bad, Silicone microdroplet technique = good