Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Haoarju

Will I get adult acne or not?

Hi!

Im 16 years old. How much acne I have is not important right now...

I know for a fact that my acne is not caused my genetic reasons. My mom didn't have it, my dad didn't have it and my borther which is 4 years older than me didn't have it. Im the only one in the family that have ever had more than average acne. Im pretty sure this is just because of hormons.. In 8 days I have an appointment with my derm and I'll ask him the same question.

So when my acne isn't caused my genetic reasons, am I still able to get adult acne, or will I most likely grow out of it?

THanks in advance

Hi!

Im 16 years old. How much acne I have is not important right now...

I know for a fact that my acne is not caused my genetic reasons. My mom didn't have it, my dad didn't have it and my borther which is 4 years older than me didn't have it. Im the only one in the family that have ever had more than average acne. Im pretty sure this is just because of hormons.. In 8 days I have an appointment with my derm and I'll ask him the same question.

So when my acne isn't caused my genetic reasons, am I still able to get adult acne, or will I most likely grow out of it?

THanks in advance

I'm 29 and never really had acne aside from a few occasional PMS zits on my forehead. No one in my family ever had acne any more than that either. Then my entire face started breaking out this year. It could be hormones, stress, diet, your facial moisturizer, your shampoo, your detergent, or other environmental factors... It could be anything or a combination of things. I never thought for a moment that I would be entering my 30's with acne. You can't really predict it. I've been driving myself crazy for 6 months trying to understand what happned. I literally woke up one morning with zits and haven't been clear since.

Prescriptions did help, but my face hasn't returned to normal. I'm now focusing on my diet to see if sugary foods are to blame. Whatever you do, don't pick at anything and don't over wash! Let everything heal on it's own. Follow whatever directions you are given precisely. I learned that the hard way. I still have redmarks from blemishes I picked at 6 months ago and don't have a trace from the blemishes I left alone last month. Even if the acne is temporary, you don't want permanent reminders that it was there.

You might grow out of acne. It is hard to say. Think positively and hope for the best ;)

Your immediate family not having acne does not mean it is not inherited though.

My mom, dad and older sis did not have acne as teens, nor do they have it as adults.

My aunts & uncles did however, and my skin more closely resembles theirs in tone and texture.