Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Natalie411

I'm in so much pain! :'( please help me!! acne problem...

Hi,

Im 21 years old and have been suffering from mild acne for the last 5 years. I've seen a number of dermatologists and have tried almost all of the tropical creams and a number of antibiotics but nothing worked. However, now the acne has become quite severe. Since I woke up today, i'm feeling extremely depressed and have been crying and trying to fight back tears. I have 3-4 fresh pimples on my face that are so painful that not only does it hurt to wash my face but even when im not touching it, its hurting. I have very oily skin and I've noticed that the pimples are speading. From my forehead to my checks and around my nose. They are red/pink bumps, very painful and after a few days, some of them are filled up with pus. I'm really losing my self esteem and haven't gone out because I don't want anyone to see me like this. But thank god im off from college for a month.

I take good care of my skin, use clean & clear deep cleansing facewash, eat a tablet of centrum every night, and drink a tablespoon of blood purifying syrup. I incorporate fruits and vegetables in my everyday diet and drink plenty of water and green tea. These days i'm also using retinA + clariderm on my zits every night. But I really want this acne to be cured from inside out. I want to get rid of it forever and not to have to cancel plans because of it. Ive done extensive research about it on net and have tried a number of things like cutting out sugar from my diet completely etc but nothing sas prevented new acne so far. Despite i'm using medicines, I still get almost one new pimple everyday and I can't bear this pain anymore.

I've browsed this forum but couldn't really find the exact thing that would help me so i've registered and asking you all directly. Can anyone of you who has been able to fight acne please pleaseeee help me! i would be really thankful and pray to God for you but please help me, i can't bear this pain. My whole face is being covered with bumps and scars. I need to prevent it from ruining my life forever... help! :'(

@xquis3t

-Im not getting mad at you, just pointing out a case of counter evidence to your theory.

I am probably the whitest kid you'll ever see. Seriously. White as rice. This is because I stay inside all the time... haha. Anyway I still have bad acne, so it can't be the sun. Its good you are thinking about other possible causes to acne though.

Although, xquis3t, it is good to limit sun exposure to prevent skin damage. ESPECIALLY WHILE ON BENZOYL PEROXIDE/DIFFEREN/BENZACLYN/DUAC/TAZORAC/etc. because they are all carcinogens (cancer causing agents) if exposed to UV rays!!!!!! :shock:

Diet only affects acne if it (the diet) is severely bad, or good.

Example!

If you ate junk food every day for at least 2 meals, you would get acne. But even that acne from bad food wouldn't be severe, not even moderate, probly only mild acne.

If you eat all super perfect and organic food with a perfect amount of daily vitamins and minerals, you just wouldn't get the mild acne from bad food. It may help your existing acne a bit, but not that much.

Eating healthy will make you feel better though, but will not prevent acne.

As you know, acne is caused from bacteria and eating a well balanced diet won't make you excrete anti-bacterial medication through your pores. Ugh... Unfortunately!!!

Good luck!

Are you female? Have you considered birth control pills or spiro? Both can do a great deal to help you, but they are not immediate. It's a good intermediate step before leaping into accutane, I think.

Ive been stayin at home since the last three weeks because im off from college, and with this acne, i don't even feel like going out but still keep getting new pimples...so guess sun exposure isn't the cause, but thanks for your reply! :)

yea, i'm a female and havent tried birth control pills. And i've really thought alot about Accutane but then i decided not to take it because i'm already really depressed and with its side effects, im worried that it may make me so depressed that i end up doing something drastic like commiting suicide and as much as i wanna get rid of acne, i do want to Live. :shifty:

By the way, one thing that i've noticed is that my acne almost disappears during winters, with just few ocassional breakouts but in summer it gets crazy, unbearable, painful! :( Has anyone been able to control it by eating or drinking something specific? or if you have any other solution, plz plz do share with me, i'd be most grateful :)

Natalia

Dear Natalia,

You might check out the Retin-A boards..I think you may be experiencing the IP (Initial Breakout) that a lot of people get for the first couple of months on Retin-A. I starting using Retin-A Micro .1% in May, and my skin has gone from not too bad to absolutely horrible! My dermatologist said to stick it out and I'll be really happy with the results. Apparently, the Retin-A purges your skin of everything deep down. It also makes the skin very sensitive, which might be part of why you have so much pain.

I started using the University Medical AcneFree Severe and i'm already noticing a difference. I have severe acne and the box states what severe acne is - something ProActive does not. I have been on several types of birth control, spiro, accutane, retin-a, and every type of topical cream and/or cleanser known to man. nothing has worked.

so when i saw this AcneFree Severe i thought "ok, $39.99 - might as well try it!". seriously, it's the best thing so far. i noticed the redness getting clearer, the cyst on my cheek is going down drastically - after ONE application.

I'm going to continue using it and posting. so far, i love it. I hate clean and clear products - i find them very drying. this stuff has a clean scent, feels good, and my skin feels...clean. i like it!

I'd start by having a look at my diet and cutting out bad foods (i.e. foods that can aggravate acne, those include so-called healthy products). There are some good threads in the Nutrition & Holistic health forum. Also, have a look at greens like spirulina, chlorella maybe, maca, just nutrient dense supplements.

Thanks alot guys! for you replies... :)

nyc_girl : I think you are quite right about retinA making my skin sensitive because it is causing my skin to peel due to which it has become reddish at some areas of my face where i've been using this medicine..and when I woke up this morning I noticed a slight improvement in my pimples' sizes for which i'm thankful even though it's only been one week since I started using it. So some of the pain that i'm facing may be due to peeling skin, but basically I meant that my zits are painful so i just hope that i don't get any new ones now.

AKL: Thanks, i'll definitely try to look for the supplements that u've mentioned. Btw after extensive research that i've done on net and after talking to friends and family, and now u, my belief that acne is aggravated and/or caused by certain foods has become stronger than ever. You are really lucky that u've been able to find out which food items cause you to break out but i'm still trying to figure out :( I still haven't been able to find one such thing cause it's really hard to figure that out of all the things i eat n drink in a day, which one is causing acne. Apart from soy, what other things did you notice that cause you to breakout?

I was quite impressed by reading a story on a site of someones personal experience with acne. I would like you all to read it. This person contolled acne by cutting out sugar from diet completely. I tried to do so too and still kept getting new pimples but I guess I wasn't careful enough to eliminate all possible sugar from my diet so I would like to try this test again this week. Read the story here

http://www.thiele.fptoday.com/ta/acnefull.htm

xquis3t: I don't have tinted windows in my house so it is really going to be hard trying to protect myself from UV rays coming inside but still i'll try my best.:) However, are you sure that this will make your acne completely go away? Do you really think this is a solution because you can't stay away from UV rays forever :o You maybe correct in pointing out that these rays cause the healing process to slow down but is this truely the cause for everyones acne? Because just like the cures are generally not the same for all( like some people manage to control their acne by simply using tropical medicines, some control thorough diet, some use other products, and for some accutane has worked), similarly the cause may also not be the same. I know someone who noticed that only one thing makes him break out. Tea. So he stayed away from it and has managed to keep acne under control. Similarly another friend of mine found out that eating pickles make her breakout. So its easy to stay away from these kind of things.

However I took a look at your thread and it is really admirable that you are believing in yourself because that is one of the best things. If you have a strong will power and you can overcome anything. I hope I succeed in making myself that strong as well. You've said that your acne has improved by staying indoors, so do let us know if you are completely able to get rid of it, meanwhile do think about the fact that God has made this sun for us and even though it can be harmful if exposed to for too long, but it is also extremely beneficial. Imagine what would earth be like if the sun stopped coming up every morning. So I really don't think He would want the sun or the UV rays to be a major cause of acne.

Natalia

I've been skimming this thread, and I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. One thing I heard that can be a acne trigger for some people is oranges. Also, you should avoid drinking too many juices because they have pretty high sugar content. I've also heard that caffeine can have negative effects on your skin, so maybe you should cut back on green tea, although the amount of caffeine in green tea may be negligible. The biggest factor for my own acne, I believe, is stress. It's easy to change your diet and hygiene, but your stress levels are so hard to control. I'd suggest devoting at least an hour everyday to doing something you love to do, or maybe just sitting back and relaxing listening to music or something. I'm suffering from severe acne currently, and I'm just beginning to learn how to manage my stress.

Hi,

Im 21 years old and have been suffering from mild acne for the last 5 years. I've seen a number of dermatologists and have tried almost all of the tropical creams and a number of antibiotics but nothing worked. However, now the acne has become quite severe. Since I woke up today, i'm feeling extremely depressed and have been crying and trying to fight back tears. I have 3-4 fresh pimples on my face that are so painful that not only does it hurt to wash my face but even when im not touching it, its hurting. I have very oily skin and I've noticed that the pimples are speading. From my forehead to my checks and around my nose. They are red/pink bumps, very painful and after a few days, some of them are filled up with pus. I'm really losing my self esteem and haven't gone out because I don't want anyone to see me like this. But thank god im off from college for a month.

I take good care of my skin, use clean & clear deep cleansing facewash, eat a tablet of centrum every night, and drink a tablespoon of blood purifying syrup. I incorporate fruits and vegetables in my everyday diet and drink plenty of water and green tea. These days i'm also using retinA + clariderm on my zits every night. But I really want this acne to be cured from inside out. I want to get rid of it forever and not to have to cancel plans because of it. Ive done extensive research about it on net and have tried a number of things like cutting out sugar from my diet completely etc but nothing sas prevented new acne so far. Despite i'm using medicines, I still get almost one new pimple everyday and I can't bear this pain anymore.

I've browsed this forum but couldn't really find the exact thing that would help me so i've registered and asking you all directly. Can anyone of you who has been able to fight acne please pleaseeee help me! i would be really thankful and pray to God for you but please help me, i can't bear this pain. My whole face is being covered with bumps and scars. I need to prevent it from ruining my life forever... help! :'(

Here is what I have learned so far from this website. It's very simple. Keep it natural.

I'm 28 have very oily skin and I was breaking out with huge pimples all over my chin and cheeks.

Here is my regimen try and you will most diffently see results.

I use a few Lush products

Cleanser: Fresh Farmacy it has calamine lotion and other things like lavender and rose hip oil.

Toner: Lush Tea tree Water very soothing and makes your skin soft

Moisturzer: use what you would like ....but I chose Imperials by Lush GREAT STUFF

And finally what I think has saved my skin this is very important.

Exfoilant with baking soda a little water and baking soda not powder and gently exfoliant. for like 15 seconds after cleansing. rinse the baking soda off and then mix together Braggs Apple cider vinegar 1:8 ratio 1 part vinager to 8 parts water you can increase the vinegar once your skin gets used to it. Use this as a toner after you exfoliant. apply the rest of regimen Tea tree water mositurize. etc.

But then this is the kicker. This will make your skin very soft and get rid of red marks if you have them. At night apply a tablespoon of egg white and a squeeze of lemon whip together and apply to your face avoid your eyes and mouth. let it dry and then rinse off .

Don't apply the apple cider vinegar or exfoliant more than once a day this is very important!!! in other words don't piss off your skin even more!! I also take a supplement called PMS Forte by futurebiotics I believe this helps with premenstrual and menstrual breakouts also helps with stress and anxiety which can cause acne as well it says on the bottle to only take during your period phase. But I take it all the time and it helps ALOT ... this is very important in helping your skin heal.

Any questions let me know.

Hi,

I had that problem too where I would have new ones pop up everyday and it to wash my face it was super painful. So I stopped washing with cleansers for 3 weeks only a washcloth with water to get the make-up off. After the 2nd day of water washing I noticed a difference. My skin stopped over producing the oil that I was taking off of it by washing. After those 3 weeks I started washing with Cetaphil. I went to the derm to get some antibiotics, and a month later I'm almost clear.

i'm so sorry to hear that this is happening to you. anyway, i've found that my breakouts are cyclical. mostly timed with menstrual cycle and my level of stress (final exams, group projects, etc.). i've been taking spiro and doxy for 6 mo.s and have seen an AMAZING improvement. now i'm just dealing with scarring and a few zits now and then. within the last couple of months i've been using Dan's regimen. this forum is a lot of help! don't worry, something is bound to work.

Everyone gets mad at me, tells me not to reply on others threads, so watch out for an explosion as I reply.

You can look at my post, that I started entitled (Development Phase), this may help you in the right direction.

To cut a long story short, the current people seem to be saying trapped oil and dirt causes acne, hormones and all this rubbish (I think rubbish)...I say UVA causes acne, and makes it hard to heal up once you have it.

You do not have to do as I do, but I think I am proving UVA is no good for Acne once you have it. You may want to consider minimising your UV exposure while you try all these other treatments, and perhaps you will get somewhere. A combination of whatever treatment options you want to try may be very much helped if you do indeed greatly restrict your UV exposure, in particular UVA exposure.

I say, my post will get you in the right direction, and keep more of your money in your pocket. But as I said, the reactions I have been getting from some people are not good to tell you the truth.

You may meet with the typical...dirt, oil, hormones, diet et cetera...but I am interested in putting some of these tired old claims to bed for good. I think I have uncovered the exact cause of Acne, UVA rays. You did state you found nothing that was exactlywhat you were looking for. If anything, UVA triggers oil production, but again, washing the oil out of your pore will do nothing, unless you address the root cause of Acne, which I claim to have discovered exactly: UVA rays which penetrate the skin deeply enough to be consistent with what the experts are saying about how deep Acne really starts.

UVA doesnt cause acne. I live in a very cold climate and Ive had acne for half of my life.

Ive been stayin at home since the last three weeks because im off from college, and with this acne, i don't even feel like going out but still keep getting new pimples...so guess sun exposure isn't the cause, but thanks for your reply! :)

yea, i'm a female and havent tried birth control pills. And i've really thought alot about Accutane but then i decided not to take it because i'm already really depressed and with its side effects, im worried that it may make me so depressed that i end up doing something drastic like commiting suicide and as much as i wanna get rid of acne, i do want to Live. :shifty:

By the way, one thing that i've noticed is that my acne almost disappears during winters, with just few ocassional breakouts but in summer it gets crazy, unbearable, painful! :( Has anyone been able to control it by eating or drinking something specific? or if you have any other solution, plz plz do share with me, i'd be most grateful :)

Natalia

Accutane is a synthetic form of vitamin A. Therefore, it would make sense to increase your vitamin A summplementation to at least 10,000 IU.

I have been on Accutane once and while it has not cured acne, it did tighten my pores which made painful pimples less likely. All my zits were not painful up until I ended up in the hospital last May on steroids andnow I am getting painful large zits.

I feel the same way you do - I have cried both in private and in public. I no longer wear makeup at work where I work for my mother's company. Everyone can see it all - I do wear makeup when I go out, but I rarely ever want to go out because it is depressing.

While I am on the Acne No More Regimen now, I am headed to see a dermatologist about the possibility of being put back on Accutane. I am not looking for a cure, rather I am looking for a cure for the size of my pores...so that I can stop getting cysts.

Check out my Acne No More Regimen and consider supplementing on Vitamin A and zinc.

Everyone gets mad at me, tells me not to reply on others threads, so watch out for an explosion as I reply.

You can look at my post, that I started entitled (Development Phase), this may help you in the right direction.

To cut a long story short, the current people seem to be saying trapped oil and dirt causes acne, hormones and all this rubbish (I think rubbish)...I say UVA causes acne, and makes it hard to heal up once you have it.

You do not have to do as I do, but I think I am proving UVA is no good for Acne once you have it. You may want to consider minimising your UV exposure while you try all these other treatments, and perhaps you will get somewhere. A combination of whatever treatment options you want to try may be very much helped if you do indeed greatly restrict your UV exposure, in particular UVA exposure.

I say, my post will get you in the right direction, and keep more of your money in your pocket. But as I said, the reactions I have been getting from some people are not good to tell you the truth.

You may meet with the typical...dirt, oil, hormones, diet et cetera...but I am interested in putting some of these tired old claims to bed for good. I think I have uncovered the exact cause of Acne, UVA rays. You did state you found nothing that was exactlywhat you were looking for. If anything, UVA triggers oil production, but again, washing the oil out of your pore will do nothing, unless you address the root cause of Acne, which I claim to have discovered exactly: UVA rays which penetrate the skin deeply enough to be consistent with what the experts are saying about how deep Acne really starts.

So then by what you say my whole body should have been covered head to toe in pimples for the last 10 years of my life. I grew up in SoCal I spent summer days and the pool, weekends at the beach and out in the sun every day no sun block.

UVA doesn't cause acne. Hormones and irritation cause acne.

IF YOUR EXISTING ACNE, EMERGING ACNE IS CAUSING IRRITATION/ITCHING:

I highly recommend just applying some ice, how much ice? say you have one pimple that hurts, apply one whole ice cube covered with 1 layer of tissue paper, but many layers of tissue paper on the side where you have to hold it so your fingers dont assist in melting the cube. The best thing about this is if you get lucky and catch a pimple at a very very early stage, applying ice can make it not even form into one.

If the spot makes you want to itch it occasionally, itching it only leads to more itching and heat. If it hurts when you touch it, well Don't touch it, usually if it itches, that when you'd want to touch it, anyways the melting 1 whole ice cube without cheating heat per pimple area, can relieve you of the itching/pain. you might need more ice, but it does work. btw masterbating inconsistently can trigger some acne.

mewantcooki14: "So then by what you say my whole body should have been covered head to toe in pimples for the last 10 years of my life. I grew up in SoCal I spent summer days and the pool, weekends at the beach and out in the sun every day no sun block.

UVA doesn't cause acne. Hormones and irritation cause acne."

Well I do not think hormones cause acne at all, but definitely any kind of irritation certainly exascerbates the condition.

Let me address how you say that you should be covered head to toe with pimples. As you know, pimples are most common on the face, supposedly being due to its' greater number of oil glands per square inch in this area. Also, Acne seems to me to be far more likely to occur on the back, chest, lower back, shoulders and upper arms, as opposed to the lower arms, legs and feet.

I do not suppose you see the correlation with the fact that you "grew up...spent summer days and the pool, weekends at the beach and out in the sun every day no sun block", and that later on you are now battling a skin condition called Acne. Would there be any truth to the fact that this is just skin damage showing itself now? This is consistent with the scientifically based fact that sun damaged skin takes a long while before the damages actually show.

What I am thinking is that because the face has this larger number of oil glands, any deep inflammation and injury deep in the facial skin (caused by chronic daily UVA exposure), which is not being allowed to fully heal, will impact on the oil distribution on the face, causing Acne. This is different to sun-baking, as UVA you can not get away from your face, this is CHRONIC exposure. You can cover up the other parts of your body when they desparately need to heal, but you can not hide your face every day from your normal daily UV exposure, and I think it is the normal, daily, and unfortunately chronic UVA exposure which means your Acne will not heal, and causes it to get worse. It gets worse, along with the creams and potions you use to address it in the meantime, as some of these cause irritation, that you have already spoken of.

If you think of the angle of the sun in the sky, your upper body and face are receiving a greater proportion of the sun's rays. This could be why the condition is more common in these body areas, as they are not being given UV relief. These areas are more likely to see chronic UV exposure. Also as I have already pointed out to you, it may be that you can not get your face out of UVA exposure in order for it to heal, and this makes the inflammation in the skin worse. UV Rays are definitely a source of irritation for Acne skin, and for me, I think it at this stage that they are the underlying cause of Acne.

I am not saying that I am 100% right or wrong at this stage, only that if you take anything at all out of what I am saying, it should be this: the irritation you speak of, a source of it is constant UV exposure that your face can not get away from, in particular UV-A which comes through windows. This could result in more oil distribution problems around the areas of the face, upper back and chest, while the skin is battling to repair itself.

You have to consider this before you pass judgment on UV-A not being the cause of Acne. UV-A penetrates into the dermis. In the dermis, reside the sebaceous gland and the hair follicle, the starting point of the pore. I think (and have provided proof in the way of an investigative dermatological link in my thread) that cumulative daily exposure to just UV-A radiation (alone) can cause dermal injury and inflammation. (This does not even take into account the damages sustained to the epidermis through UV-B radiation, and the pollution and dirt factors involved in the outdoor environment as well; it was just a study of UV-A radiation alone). If this dermal injury and inflammation were to occur around the sebaceous glands and hair follicle, deep in the dermis, it could definitely be a cause of acne. It is certainly an irritating factor, and as such I believe it should be avoided as much as possible, until the Acne is under full control.

In fact, this may be why older people do not have Acne as much, and why Acne is seen mostly during "hormonal" puberty: "Loss of sebaceous glands in the dermis makes the skin dry due to reduced oil" (McCullough & Kelly, Department of Dermatology, University of California, 2006). They may not get acne because they have actually caused so great a damage to the sebaceous glands, that the gland actually is lost. UV-A is definitely not doing you any favours, and my suggestion to avoid exposure to UV radiation as much as you can is based on real evidence. I would not want to lose sebaceous glands and get dry skin! (I already probably have lost some).

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l342/xquis3t/f0168-01.jpg (This picture was originally located by me at answers.com) It shows how distortion and inflammation in the dermis could impact on the function of things at this layer. The distortion and inflammation in the dermis could "squish" things around the hair follicle, causing the "clogged" pore. This does not even take into account what could happen to a possibly partially damaged sebaceous gland in the region. This would have an impact on oil production as well. Either way, I think it shows how dermal injury and inflammation could indeed be what is behind Acne. As I found out by my own research, cumulative UV-A exposure alone can indeed cause dermal injury and inflammation.

my breakout was hormonal, from BCP

nataliak, you are not alone.

I'm almost 25 years old and I have adult-onset cystic acne. I have tried all of the following:

Bactrim

Minocycline

Tetracycline

Doxycycline

Retin-a

Differin

Duac

Proactiv

Clindamycin

Salcylic Acid

BenzaClin

Benziq

Yaz BCP

Nothing has worked. I'm at my wit's end. I'm going to try nforbes' suggestion and buy the AcneFree Severe tomorrow. I have greatly considered Accutane but I truly do not want to go on that. But I am starting to think there's no other choice.

P.S. I stay as FAR away from the sun as possible!!