Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CBurns

Topical Anti-Androgens?

Is anybody using them, and can you comment on their effectiveness and/or side effects? I'm very interested in them, but it seems like everybody is being prescribed anti-biotics or retinoids. Also, are there any guys out there who have taken systemic anti-androgens?

Good Question, id like to hear some feedback on this. I dont think systemic anti-androgens would work for guys, your testicals might shrivel up(lol), and if they didnt, if you lift, then i thinkit would fuck things up and you wouldnt gain any muscle. Do you know the name of any topical anti-androgens, i might ask my family doctor, hes cool about different acne treatments

I can't find much about them being used for acne. They all seem to be marketted for hair loss. A dermatologist would know the best ones to try. You'd want something that has been proven in tests to reduce acne, since some have ineffective delivery vehicles and will do nothing as a result. You also want one that wont be absorbed systemically, or at least will only be absorbed in small amounts. It's hard to find information on them that isn't just for hair loss treatments.

spironolactone is supposed to be anti-androgenic. don't think you can get it without a prescription because it's used mostly for hairloss. but i've read at www.clearskin.net that some people have found it an are using it either topically or internally...i forget. do a search for "SweetJade" she's very informative and knows her stuff!

hope this helps!