Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scarcrash

supplementing with OPCs

I thought this might be of interest for some to use in their routine.

I've recently starting supplementing with OPCs (oligomeric proanthocyanidins). I use the extract patnented by Dr. Masquelier.

Here's some info I found on OPCs:

"OPCs inhibit the body’s enzymes that break down collagen. OPCs help collagen repair and rebuild correctly which can reverse damage done over the years by injury and free radical attack." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligomeric_proanthocyanidin

"OPCs can have a dramatic, visible effect on your skin. The nutrients can be considered as 'collagen vitamins' because they partake in the biosynthesis of collagen and prevent its destruction. Through synergistic action with vitamin C, OPCs strengthen and rebuild the body’s natural collagen proteins and have the remarkable ability to reactivate damaged collagen and elastin. Research has demonstrated that OPCs bind to collagen fibers and realigns them to a more youthful, undamaged form. (The same research also established that common bioflavonoids are completely inactive in this respect.) OPCs improve the beneficial cross-linking between the amino acids of the fibers that give skin its flexibility and strength while preventing the undesirable cross-linking between amino acids." - antioxidant.net

I'm now thinking of starting to use some topical OPCs in addition to topical vit. C:

"Although vitamin C in higher concentrations and vitamin E applied topically do have an antioxidant effect... oligomeric proanthocyanidins (OPCs) are unsurpassed in efficiency. [Topical OPC] is 20 times more effective than vitamin C and 50 times more effective than vitamin E in preventing free radical damage." - jamesbeckmanmd.com/scar.php