Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Iliad

If you had a child suffering from acne

Many of us here at the org feel that our parents were the biggest obstacle in finding a cure for our acne. They never seemed to appreciate the gravity of the condition, and were not very supportive in finding a solution. But here's the thing, acne is genetic. One day you may be the parent of a teenager who suffers from the very same disease. Knowing what you do about acne, how do you suppose you would handle the situation?

Bring them here, or to some other site if for some reason this place isn't around. I would want to talk to them more about my experience and what I did, rather than tell them "You should do this, you should do that, blah blah blah."

I would want them to be informed - I was given such a slush of bad advice when I was a child (got acne at 11) and a teenager - I really believe it only made my skin worse at best and permanently damaged my skin at worse. I wouldn't want them to go through that.

And I think, most of all, I want them to know that they are not alone. That having acne doesn't mean you are a freak or a loser - it just means you have acne.

Btw, Iliad, congrats on one year here!!

Dermatologist immediately, regardless of the severity of the acne. If I have children someday, I will make damn sure they don't go through what I went through. I will be very hands on.

Good post Iliad. I've thought about this a lot. It terrifies me to pass down my crappy acne gene to my kids someday. But since I can't control genetics, at the sight of a first breakout take them to the derm. Hopefully by the time I have kids and their old enough to get acne the org will still be around. I even have some pics of myself when my acne was worse, I've planned on saving them ... I want to show them to my kids if they ever do get acne. I think that will let them see that I really do understand what they are going through and I hope that they have enough trust in me to talk to me about the hell that it is to go through acne. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a definite cure by than though.

Guest missyjean130

I'd educate them about it as much as I can and be very supportive about it. If they want me to buy a bunch of different stuff for them to try-I'd do it..If they think it's time to go see a derm-I'll take them. I'll definitely bring them to this site for more info too lol

I'm definitely going to help my kids in everyway possible. Providing products is one thing, but providing the emotional support you need when you are suffering from acne would be a major thing I would do. I would talk to my kids about acne, tell them about my suffering and how bad I had it. Hopefully, by that point I'll have figured out what works for me, and I will have an amazing knowledge on what they are going to need to survive through it. It's so hard and I don't ever want my kids to have to feel as excluded from their parents as I do to mine.

I would invest a large amount into my children's skin care, starting at a very early age. If money wasn't a problem, I would have them see a derm on a regular basis to prescribe them the best of treatments. I would do this before ever resorting to accutane.

I would invest a large amount into my children's skin care, starting at a very early age. If money wasn't a problem, I would have them see a derm on a regular basis to prescribe them the best of treatments. I would do this before ever resorting to accutane.

I think i would do the exact opposite. I mean i would take them to a derm so they can be given creams and stuff and maybe antibiotics but the acne doesnt clear within a few months then ill fight to get them on tane.

Its better than having to use a load of crap that doesnt work and that damages your body anyways. Accutane isnt as bad as many ppl make it out to be.

I'd start them with a dermatologist whenever they were in need and tell them not to trust everything people say. I'll tell them what worked/didn't work for me and hopefully there will be better information/treatments available in the future.

I'd also like to add that I don't think parents should be too "forceful" about their kid's condition. I feel like some people on this board will look at their child's first zit and go crazy trying to fix their problem - Just let the kid live! And if it becomes a problem then be supportive but offer your own advice too.

I have pretty mild acne. Its only cystic and its about 1-2 at a time. However, since I'm so paranoid about my own skin, I tend to be attracted to guys with awful skin. My b/f has a horrible case of cystic acne on his back and moderate acne on his face with some cysts around his hair and jawline. Anyways, we're not thinking about children or anything yet cus we're so young and not that serious about each other. But a part of me wouldnt want to have children with him cus I know they'd have awful cystic acne. I'd probably put them on accutane the second one popped up. : (

I had to work to buy my own diet , that helps my skin , etc.

and wont give break out. i don't eat the foods they buy. :/

but when i have kids , gonna be more expensive.

That's y I wanna go college and get myself a nice job. :C

for now i have a crappy job.. enough to buy my owns foods and help parents to pay rent.

can;t even save!!! need to start.

I never had girl , and is best to stay single around this age on the 20s-25..

I am 21. still young

Many of us here at the org feel that our parents were the biggest obstacle in finding a cure for our acne. They never seemed to appreciate the gravity of the condition, and were not very supportive in finding a solution. But here's the thing, acne is genetic. One day you may be the parent of a teenager who suffers from the very same disease. Knowing what you do about acne, how do you suppose you would handle the situation?

Put them on accutane ASAP and duct tape their hands to a couple of dumbbell's for 1) to build up their arms and for 2) to prevent them from scratching their face.

<---- Future Parent of the Year!!!!

Put them on accutane ASAP and duct tape their hands to a couple of dumbbell's for 1) to build up their arms and for 2) to prevent them from scratching their face.

<---- Future Parent of the Year!!!!

:P

i think there is only so much a parent can do .

it is up to the person suffering from acne to get over the psychological stigma that acne entails on their own.

i see it on these boards like a death cycle

ppl come on bitch and moan (regardless of severity) ppl lend support and it only does so much is like preaching to the deaf. wait another week same post different title.

some things are left on yourself to overcome.

In regards to the people on these boards who have a hard time explaining the difficulty of acne to their parents/friends who don't get it, I was thinking about another way to explain to my mother how psychologically damaging acne can be, and a simple illustration occurred to me.

"I know you don't think acne is a big deal, and that I should get over it. But suppose I told you that acne is physically an excruciatingly painful disease. What if I said that I am in agonizing pain every waking moment because of the condition of my skin? Would you be more inclined to help me get the treatment I need if this was the case? Now take all that pain and internalize it. Make it an agony of the spirit, of the mind. Does that help you see how damaging it is?"

This is something like what I would say if I bothered to speak to my parents about it. I don't know if I will though. I made a personal decision never to talk to them about this again because the first two dozen times had no result. But for you others, maybe this could be enlightening for those who don't understand. I'm thinking particularly of you Kaley, seein' as your parents sound difficult. ^_^

at first i thought i would give my kid the DKR. but after getting off of that and having it mess up my face pretty permanently i'm kind of lost when it comes to making sure they never go through any pain.

I think the only thing I would do other than obviously taking them to a derm would be to give them emotional support. Sometimes I wish my mom would just sit with me and let me talk about it. So i think that is one of the main things, just telling them they could talk to me about anything and everything and I would support them not put them down or tell them to just forget about it. Maybe we are lucky for having acne... probably because we will all be alot more forgiving and nurturing towards our children because of us knowing how hard something like this is to go through.

and Iliad, I know how you feel about not wanting to talk to your parents about it, thats how I was when I first started breaking out at a early age... but then one day I was just sitting with my mom and had no makeup on and I asked her how she would feel if her face looked like mine... and she almost started crying at told me how awful she feels that I have to live with it. I honesly think the best person to go to is your mom. (or dad if your closer with him but they dont normally sypathise more or less) Im lucky because my dad had acne at my age and he kinda knows how i feel and would be there for me if my mom ever wasnt. But if I were you I would talk to your mom and kinda be serious about it and show how much it really bothers you. I was misreable before I talked to my mom and now I have someone that I can go to most of the time when Im feeling really low. Well now I have this site. ha ha but yeah Im no doctor but thought i would throw that little tid bit in there. Parents are alot more understanding if you say "how would you feel if..." sometimes it hard for them to imagine unless the imagine it on themselves. :idea:

oi that was alot. ha ha >_<