Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sheefa

Have a good read through this before starting/finishing Accutane please.

One weird thing I noticed while being on these boards for some time is that people who are badly affected by accutane seems to be mostly guys whether is it hair loss, joint pain or other serious side effects.

I was wondering whether accutane affects men more then women or is it something that guys do that females don't or the difference in built between genders and when it all adds up, something bad happens.

Something to ponder about. :think:

Interesting observation. If you look at the Accutane Survivors Board though many people commented that it was actually the reverse, more women suffer than men! I suppose it's always different on the other side of the fence.

Perhaps men notice the hair loss more or are not acclimatised to pain as well as females, who knows. All I know is that I've had to take the day off work today (and I actually love my work) because I'm in so much pain and had all but 40 mins of sleep last night.

My cumulative dose of accutane was 11,400mg for a 80kg male if that helps anyone.

I'm a bit immature at times, I'll give you that.

I don't think too highly of you though either.Give me proof it was the accutane that did this to you,give me a doctors word.Then I'll be more sympathetic.

Also what is the percentage of people left with chronic issues after tane? Give me a number.

I'm just getting really tired of people bitching about what tane has done to them,scaring people away from it...when those chronic issues will most likely never happen to them.

You knew the risks involved.We know the risks involved.

So nope, not going to feel sorry for you.

Yee have a lot to learn. I just hope this doesn't come back to bite you.

Proof that Accutane did this?? The facts speak for themselves. I've been through various blood, liver, joint and fluid analysis tests over the last 10 months, mainly the last 2, and they all come back negative. Without going into my joints via keyhole surgery to see what's going on there's no telling what damage is being done - my ankle was bad enough. As most people say, if it is Accutane related - ALL TESTS WILL COME BACK NEGATIVE.

No Doctor is going to admit it was Accutane or help me on the road to recovery because of the lack of clarity surrounding the drug, chronic after effects and diagnosis.

I didn't know all the risks involved but that was my fault. I researched accutane but not enough. At the time everything was going great and I won't lie when I say I've had the best year and 1/2 of my life from Dec 2006 through to Sept 2007. My accutane experience was great, but my post-accutane experience like many others has been simply life-threatening.

Greg

wow this thread scares the crap out of me!

but i guess its a good thing to warn people of the possibilities that may occur.

but i guess its a good thing to warn people of the possibilities that may occur.

Trust me Micky, I'm not here to preach the anti-accutane card as I made that decision to take it as have others. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

Regardless of my moderate persistant acne, I had a great life to look forward to. I was due to joint the Royal Air Force as a Regiment Officer, I passed all the tests in June 2007 and December 2007 and was going to start in May - everything has gone downhill. My fitness is non-existent, hell I can barely walk at times, my ambition of the RAF destroyed and my girlfriend is getting extremely fed up with my mood and pain - I can't blame her.

The smile on my face in July 2007 when on holiday to Mexico with my girlfriend was a genuine happy over the moon type one. The smile on my face this year (June-July) when on holiday with my mates to California was just a fake one to cover up the chronic pain I'm now in. I see no end to this and haven't a clue how I'm going to go through life in such dehabilitating pain - it can also get worse as others have reported.

I'm worried things are going to pan out like this: Acne -> Accutane -------> Happiness and great life -----> Pain -----> Crippling arthritis -----> lose everything and finally the worst.

Just be careful and if you have to take it, take an ultra low dose like 20mg.

Greg

I'm currently taking 30mg a day but after reading some of these stories im considering going down to 20mg again for the last month. I'm only on a 4 month course and was on 20mg, 20mg, 30mg and just started month 4. Should I go down to 20mg? My acne is moderate persistent and at the moment i only have 1 to 2 pimples.

One weird thing I noticed while being on these boards for some time is that people who are badly affected by accutane seems to be mostly guys whether is it hair loss, joint pain or other serious side effects.

I was wondering whether accutane affects men more then women or is it something that guys do that females don't or the difference in built between genders and when it all adds up, something bad happens.

I am a strong believer that dose is directly related to accutane long term side effects, and in general these days more women take lower doses than men due to lower weight. That is one reason why. Side effects like the hairloss happen pretty evenly between men and women but it tends to get worse in men than women as estrogen is very good at protecting the hair follicle from chronic damage. That is not to say that some women still end up nearly bald etc, they most certainly do.

I'm worried things are going to pan out like this: Acne -> Accutane -------> Happiness and great life -----> Pain -----> Crippling arthritis -----> lose everything and finally the worst.

errr Accutane -------> Happiness and great life -----> Pain -----> Weed ------>munchies---->roll ups----->Happiness

Interesting observation. If you look at the Accutane Survivors Board though many people commented that it was actually the reverse, more women suffer than men! I suppose it's always different on the other side of the fence.

Perhaps men notice the hair loss more or are not acclimatised to pain as well as females, who knows. All I know is that I've had to take the day off work today (and I actually love my work) because I'm in so much pain and had all but 40 mins of sleep last night.

My cumulative dose of accutane was 11,400mg for a 80kg male if that helps anyone.

Just my observation though because I really didn't see any female complaining from any long-term side effects from accutane except molly on these boards. Even when she did, once she stopped her medication, she became well again. I'm not sure about the other board, I flipped a couple of pages and didn't see any either.

As for whether we do notice about hair loss. Well WE FEMALES DO! We are after more vain then guys. At least I know I am.

Do you have a link for the Accutane Survivors Board that you mentioned?? I tried to do a search for it on Yahoo, but couldn't find anything. Thanks.

Here we go. I URGE everyone to have a real good read through.

http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/davec//index...;num=1102942653

I'm currently taking 30mg a day but after reading some of these stories im considering going down to 20mg again for the last month. I'm only on a 4 month course and was on 20mg, 20mg, 30mg and just started month 4. Should I go down to 20mg? My acne is moderate persistent and at the moment i only have 1 to 2 pimples.

I would go down to a lower dose of 20mg and perhaps if you really want do a month longer. Or if you'e happy, or reasonably happy with your skin QUIT now and get on the BP Regimen.

Guest missyjean130

but then taking a lower dose then a dose reccommended for their body weight has a lower chance of curing their acne.

Now I'll ask you again, what percentage of people experience chronic side effects?

If the percentage is actually high and severe...I honestly don't think this drug would be allowed to be distributed.

You already posted a thread about this in the emo section.....

but then taking a lower dose then a dose reccommended for their body weight has a lower chance of curing their acne.

Now I'll ask you again, what percentage of people experience chronic side effects?

If the percentage is actually high and severe...I honestly don't think this drug would be allowed to be distributed.

You already posted a thread about this in the emo section.....

You’re obviously very young and naive but I will let you off. The people who suffer from long term chronic side effects is highly under estimated in the literature. The reason for this?...most sides effects don't pop up for months after you have finished accutane so the studies etc claim these aren't down to accutane. But when these sides are exactly what is listed on the pamphlet and more, you know it is due to tane.

You have been warned dude, do not say no one tried to stop you.

Guest missyjean130

LOL!!!!

Yeah if many people were suffering from severe chronic pains from accutane...they'd be SUE HAPPY.They'd fight to put tane off the market.

Young and naive? Oh please...LOL

Yes, the pamphlet lists that "If not taken care of, could lead to chronic side effetcs." In little small print. The only thing they stress high is anti preganancy. I don't see bald men with exes over them...i see pregnant woman with exes over them.

I looked it up myself too....25% of tane users experience long term side effects,with most it is not permanent.

I like those chances.

10% of people end up with chronic long term problems. That is taken straight from the mouth of the most honest and respected dermatologist in the world in my opinoin. I don't give two fucks if you believe it or not i have been saying it ever since he told me. for 10% of people who take this shit your life will be changed in a negative way.

1 in 10 isn't great odds...

MissyJ, you obviously have no idea how the medical field operates in this country...The topic of Accutane side effects barely scratches the surface of what the problem really is. Go for it, take accutane. At least be thankful you were warned more than lots of people were.

Down the rabbit hole you go Missy. Hopefully we'll see you in a year or two and by your attitude perhaps you deserve to be one of the 'unlucky' ones.

You have the choice now to stop or continue. 1 in 10 is not good odds at all. Sure, I could deal with dry eyes or very dry skin, but major hairloss, chronic joint pain, IBS or other serious conditions - no thanks.

Guest missyjean130

That's okay,I'm in pain every single day of my life because I was in a car crash,suffered major whiplash, and mother refused to ever take me to the doctor for it.My back is permanently fucked up and it always hurts when I'm bent over for a certain length of time,putting up dishes...bending over o wash the cleanser off my face...those are all excruciating activities for me.

Baldness, I would prolly enjoy that too much.They have the coolest wigs out there! I hate my my hair anyways.

IBS?When I'm under major stress- I already get that.

I think 10% is a marvelous percentage! When all your life you have been teased and taunted by friends,family. Granted, we should all be as happy as we can with our skin condition...but sometimes it's inevitable that we break down and feel like shit because of it.So yeah, those of us who have had their lives severly affected by it should take that really small chance because there is even a higher chance that our lives could go back to being normal!

It's not just being made fun of either, it psysically hurts to have acne.I can't sleep on the side of my face,I can't smile when there are clusters in my laugh lines,I have to be careful whilst yawning.

I deserve to be in pain? For being bluntly honest and for thinking it's unessessary for you to be posting more than one thread about your "horror story"? We all know the risks involved with this drug! You,Sheefa,may be having a negative impact. People are already scared to take this drug,you don't need to fuel the flames.

Down the rabbit hole you go Missy. Hopefully we'll see you in a year or two and by your attitude perhaps you deserve to be one of the 'unlucky' ones.

You have the choice now to stop or continue. 1 in 10 is not good odds at all. Sure, I could deal with dry eyes or very dry skin, but major hairloss, chronic joint pain, IBS or other serious conditions - no thanks.

Bro i have dry eyes, don't underestimate it, it is one of those worse side effects. When your eyes are so dry your vision is constantly blurred and it constantly feels as if you have grit in your eyes, it is pretty misserable. I didn't think dry eyes would be bad either, but when it is this harsh it is EVIL.

We all know the risks involved with this drug! You,Sheefa,may be having a negative impact. People are already scared to take this drug,you don't need to fuel the flames.

You don't know the full risks involved, believe me on that one. Nearly everyone on here underestimates accutanes side effects and i understand why i really do. It is impossible to express how bad living with chronic side effects with no cure really is. Atleast acne has other possible routes to improve it. Rosacea, alopecia areata, rematoid arthritus (i can go on all day) are all chronic problems with no cure or even successfull ways to manage them if you get them severly enough as you can from accutane.

My rosacea and dry eyes rom accutane cannot be managed by anything and i am seeing possibly the best specialiasts there is.

All,

Can you please take a look at this before starting or finishing your accutane course. My accutane experience was brilliant for the first 18months, then it came back to haunt me a year after finishing the course and I'm now in severe chronic joint pain. A word to the wise - really do have a look through this forum and see if it's worth it.

http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/davec//index.cgi?board=treatr

You need to all understand that the side effects DONT just happen while you're on the drug, they can easily kick in months/years down the line.

Thanks

Greg

People come down with all sorts of weird stuff who HAVEN'T taken Accutane. Allow me to post some examples from MY personal experience:

1. My dad awoke one morning with severe joint pain and swelling. After many inconclusive tests he started steroids and 10 years later is still in pain.

2. My brother in law has random pain that the doctors still can't figure out. They call it chronic inflammation.

3. Before Accutane, I suddenly went from regular menstrual cycles to painful, sickening short cycles and experienced infertility (I had a child before that).

4. My sister in law developed pain. It's fibromyagia, which you really can't test for.

5. My neighbor, who never had acne so I assume was never on Accutane, awoke one morning to a headache that didn't go away for 5 years.

6. My husband developed chronic pain in his back and feet.

7. My mother in law is losing her hair.

8. My father in law developed ulcerative colitis.

9. My aunt just died of a brain bleed.

None of these people had taken Accutane. Shit happens.

Stop scaring people. Accutane is a great cure for a painful, deforming, embarrassing and depressing disease.

Platinum

Greg

It probably is arthritis. It sucks. People come down with this all the time who have never taken Accutane. Diabetes, too. And other stuff.

sheefa,

i find in quite immature of you to wish harm upon someone. lets all be friends here. you have a right to post warnings about what accutane may do long term, but you surely dont have the right to say hurtful things to someone. the reason for these forums is to provide information for people who are seeking help and treatment for their acne. you probably have no experience in the medical field, and im surely not going to believe a diagnosis you gave yourself. whether or not accutane has caused your joint trouble is not the question, you shouldnt be getting on these forums and scaring people away when you have not proven that accutane has caused your problems. there are millions and millions of people who are extremely happy with the results they received while on accutane. sure the bad experiences stick out. i think people shouldnt be given advice by someone who has little to no medical background...leave it up to the people who have decades of experience. and please dont get into conspiracy theories of "doctors wont tell you the REAL stuff"...that is complete bullshit (pardon my language). i trust the fda, my dermatologist, and a drug that has been on the market for nearly three decades.

sheefa,

i find in quite immature of you to wish harm upon someone. lets all be friends here. you have a right to post warnings about what accutane may do long term, but you surely dont have the right to say hurtful things to someone. the reason for these forums is to provide information for people who are seeking help and treatment for their acne. you probably have no experience in the medical field, and im surely not going to believe a diagnosis you gave yourself. whether or not accutane has caused your joint trouble is not the question, you shouldnt be getting on these forums and scaring people away when you have not proven that accutane has caused your problems. there are millions and millions of people who are extremely happy with the results they received while on accutane. sure the bad experiences stick out. i think people shouldnt be given advice by someone who has little to no medical background...leave it up to the people who have decades of experience. and please dont get into conspiracy theories of "doctors wont tell you the REAL stuff"...that is complete bullshit (pardon my language). i trust the fda, my dermatologist, and a drug that has been on the market for nearly three decades.

I don't wish harm upon anyone but I'm just saying that if the side effects do come back and bite you then perhaps you'll understand!

There are many diseases/illnesses in the world that can indeed induce joint pain and kinds of other ailments, but I'm convinced mine was accutane. It just makes perfect sense with the course I was on and the couple of low dose months I did. All tests for practically everything else have come back negative.

Doctors and I have no way of proving it was accutane. There's no single test to reach such a diagnosis.

All,

Can you please take a look at this before starting or finishing your accutane course. My accutane experience was brilliant for the first 18months, then it came back to haunt me a year after finishing the course and I'm now in severe chronic joint pain. A word to the wise - really do have a look through this forum and see if it's worth it.

http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/davec//index.cgi?board=treatr

You need to all understand that the side effects DONT just happen while you're on the drug, they can easily kick in months/years down the line.

Thanks

Greg

People come down with all sorts of weird stuff who HAVEN'T taken Accutane. Allow me to post some examples from MY personal experience:

1. My dad awoke one morning with severe joint pain and swelling. After many inconclusive tests he started steroids and 10 years later is still in pain.

2. My brother in law has random pain that the doctors still can't figure out. They call it chronic inflammation.

3. Before Accutane, I suddenly went from regular menstrual cycles to painful, sickening short cycles and experienced infertility (I had a child before that).

4. My sister in law developed pain. It's fibromyagia, which you really can't test for.

5. My neighbor, who never had acne so I assume was never on Accutane, awoke one morning to a headache that didn't go away for 5 years.

6. My husband developed chronic pain in his back and feet.

7. My mother in law is losing her hair.

8. My father in law developed ulcerative colitis.

9. My aunt just died of a brain bleed.

None of these people had taken Accutane. Shit happens.

Stop scaring people. Accutane is a great cure for a painful, deforming, embarrassing and depressing disease.

Platinum

Seens as you have an answer for everything, why don't you please explain to my why i and many others develope a large array of side effects (within several months/years of stopping) which are classically linked to accutane.

Here is my list and what many people get when they are hit hard by tane. Diffuse hairloss across the entire body, chronically dry eyes to the point of sleeping is less painfull than the grittyness and burning, rosacea/flushing, dryness across the entire body, joint pain, Secondary raynaud's disease.

Those are some of the classic ones people who have been hit hard by tane will develop in the first year ish post accutane, other ones such as psoriasis, RA, Ulcerative collitis etc can develope in the first two years post tane.

The way you can tell it is due to tane is if other strange side effects appear at the same time, i agree shit like RA can pop up in alot of people at any time. But when you have a whole host of classic tane sides popping up how the hell can you not blaim accutane? I really take offense when you say things like people are just looking for something to blaim their problems on.

I know the truth, if you have gone through something similar to me and have dove deep enough you know the truth.

My new derm is possibly the most respected and well known derm on the internet and he has broken it down to me,

"accutane can alter the body in an unlimited number of ways" and that is quoted directly from him.

"I have patients who have had things like chillitis persist for decades" is another.

Accutane clearly alters the body in the first place and if you think it is all in a positive way you are clearly very very NAIVE

My grandfather is a doctor of 50+ years and has been awarded an NBE by the queen i should of taken his word when he advise me not to take accutane. I was silly to take an anti cancer drug called Roaccutane, but i can accept this now.

Many of you have the chance not to take accutane and if you are reading this, i promise you it is NOT worth the risk, yes acne is bad, but i promise you what can and does often happen is far far worse. You can't even begin to imagine.

Trust me Micky, I'm not here to preach the anti-accutane card as I made that decision to take it as have others. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

Greg

Hey, Greg. I'm so sorry you are experiencing so much pain. Rest assured, however, that its not in vain (rhyming not intended... although maybe I should considered a rapping career.) Everything you've shared here is going to affect people and cause them to proceed with caution. I understand hind sight is 20/20 (maybe 20/15?) and I truly appreciate everything you've shared. Rather than having to experience the negative side effects of tane myself, I can learn from yours and also share your story with others. Anyway, I'll keep you in my prayers. Continue to keep us posted (literally.)