Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jamie630

verdict on acne and diet?

Hi everyone. I know this question has been asked over and over again, but I wanted your input. Do you think diet really has an affect on acne? The reason I ask is because I have moderate acne and my friend does not. We're both 22. We went on 12-day camping trip which we went food shopping for together. For 12 days, we both had the exact same diet. You can guess who kept on breaking out and who didn't. I kept getting zits and his skin remained as calm as a Buddhist monk! The food was a mix of healthy stuff and crap. I was dying to see him get a pimple, but he didn't get one! His skin was and is flawless. So I don't get it. I'm trying to eat as well as I can, not just for my skin but for my overall health. But should I really expect much improvement in my skin from the consumption of fruits and veggies?

All input is appreciated!

Yours truly,

Confused

This question, as you know is constantly debated. I can't offer a definitive answer; as ever, different people respond to different "treatments" (if you want to call a diet that). But what I can tell you is that I am absolutely convinced that changing my diet drastically improved my skin--there's no doubt about it.

For me it was practically a science experiment: I had moderate-mild acne for about 7 years and I've tried countless cleansers, regimens, home remedies, etc that never made any significant improvement. Two months ago I started the Paleo diet. In the first month I saw a slight improvement, but I wasn't sure if there was a direct cause-and-effect from the diet. But now, after 9 weeks, there is no more doubt--the diet was indeed a success. I went from getting 1-2 breakouts a day to 1-2 (very slight) breakouts a week.

I should mention that I very strictly adhered to the diet throughout the past 9 weeks, and I continue to do so. Although, lately I've been adding in new foods, and so far it hasn't caused a problem.

I'm not sure how determined you are to fight acne, but I would have to recommend seriously considering trying this diet. It's actually not as drastic as it might sound. If you want more information, I'm happy to answer any questions.

It's a combination of diet and genes. Your friend probably has good genes where it would take A LOT of dairy products, sugar, a bunch of junk food, no sleep, etc for him to break out.

Hi everyone. I know this question has been asked over and over again, but I wanted your input. Do you think diet really has an affect on acne? The reason I ask is because I have moderate acne and my friend does not. We're both 22. We went on 12-day camping trip which we went food shopping for together. For 12 days, we both had the exact same diet. You can guess who kept on breaking out and who didn't. I kept getting zits and his skin remained as calm as a Buddhist monk! The food was a mix of healthy stuff and crap. I was dying to see him get a pimple, but he didn't get one! His skin was and is flawless. So I don't get it. I'm trying to eat as well as I can, not just for my skin but for my overall health. But should I really expect much improvement in my skin from the consumption of fruits and veggies?

All input is appreciated!

Yours truly,

Confused

The best veggies are leafy greens like spinach, kale, dark lettuce, bok choy, ect

fruits aren't to bad but cause breakouts for some people. apples are the best fruit

wheat and other starchy carbs cause problems for most people

same for milk/dairy

eat a low carb high leafy green and other healthy things and I guarantee you'll see an improvement unless you still eating something your allergic to.

take zinc too

Yes. Diet does affect acne. Because food/nutrients are what your body needs to function. It's a system with all kinds of processes going on with a lot of give and take. And if it doesn't get the nutrients it needs, something has to give. What that is varies.

Diet effects digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, hormone balance, SHBG levels, Insulin resistance, inflammation, cell function and turnover, sebum quality, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc, etc. And most of those overlap, along with environment and lifestyle habits like stress management, sleep and exercise. And those effect acne.

Studies on diet and acne or other hormone issues:

Study on diet effecting PMS

http://www.greenjournal.org/cgi/content/full/95/2/245

Low GL diet helps acne article in medical journal:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/77676.php

Article on Low GI study

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/86/1/107

Another one referring to the study:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Low...9641420053.html

The RMIT study:

http://www.rmit.edu.au/browse/News%20and%2...16ry1r;STATUS=A

Study on Acne-free island population

http://archderm.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/138/12/1584.pdf

Study on association b/w acne and prostrate cancer w/diet IGF1 and androgens in conclusion.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/161/12/1094

There's pretty good evidence that acne is an inflammatory disease. So if your diet causes inflammation, or damps inflammation then it would be expected to worsen/improve your acne.

There's also when and how much you eat. If you tend to skip breakfast or have meals at irregular times then that may increase inflammation. If you overeat or under-eat, again that may tend to increase inflammation.

Something that really clarified things for me was when I read that in addition to the kidneys and the liver, the skin is another organ that the body uses to detoxify itself. When we get acne, it might mean that the body is simply using the skin instead of another organ to remove waste because the other organs are overloaded. I don't know that this is the whole story, but it made sense to me.

Now that being said, of course everyone is different. Peope who are prone to acne will see unhealthy lifestyle choices on their faces. People who are prone to heart attacks...well you get the picture. I don't think that people with clear skin are necessarily lucky, if they are eating poorly, then they are probably messing their bodies up in some other way.

This is just my personal opinion that I've come to after several months of personal experimentation, but I don't think that very restrictive diets are the answer for everyone. I think that eating a generally healthy diet is a very good idea for everyone (and by generally healthy I mean lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, fish lean meats etc, you might be able to have coffee, chocolate, alcohol, and lots of other things on occasion). For me, anyway, it seems that given a generally healthy diet as described, stress is THE cause of my acne. I can be on a very restrictive diet, add in stress that I'm not managing, and my skin won't be clear. I can be eating a generally healthy diet that also includes plenty of carbs and sugars, but be managing my stress, and it seems like my skin is clear that way. I'm sure that everyone is different, and some people have had success with very restrictive diets, but I found that wasn't the answer for me. Good luck to you

^I agree with the above, with one caveat. You do need to avoid any food that you personally have an allergy or intolerance for. And the whole grains you mention above is a very common one. Especially the gluten containing grains.

Allergic reactions and improperly digested food particles in the bloodstream = inflammation which = acne.

Oh, another caveat. Many people's idea of healthy diets aren't necessarily healthy.

^I agree with the above, with one caveat. You do need to avoid any food that you personally have an allergy or intolerance for. And the whole grains you mention above is a very common one. Especially the gluten containing grains.

Allergic reactions and improperly digested food particles in the bloodstream = inflammation which = acne.

Oh, another caveat. Many people's idea of healthy diets aren't necessarily healthy.

yep you're right. For me, the only food i seem to need to avoid (for the most part) is dairy, but for others it could be grains, nuts, lots of things. each person has to experiment on their own.

Diet and acne are closely related, at least from my experience. ABSDIETPOWER(minus the dairy)has worked wonders for my face and body.