Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is there anything that can help with oily skin?

I've been browsing some other posts and forums and have been reviewing what other people suggest but was curious....

Is there anything that can help with my oily skin? My nose is always shiny and oily and th regions around it. It seems like no matter how many times I dab the oil away with a kleenex it will be back in a couple of hours. Is there anything I can do to reduce the oily production/help my oily skin?

I've read about B5 vitamins etc. but it sounds like you have to take 20 pills a day which sounds rather absurd. I know there are supposedly face washes/moisturizers that help etc. But I don't know what's good or not. Anyone know of anything that works well or have any suggestions.

i'm in the same boat as you, and i dont think there is much we can do. there are products like OC Eight that absorb extra oil, but that only solves the problem for a few hours, then your oil will return again.

in my experience, cutting off all topicals will greatly reduce your oil. sometimes you think that it is just oil coming out of your face, but in reality it is a mix of oil and cream.

unfortunately for me, i need topicals to control my acne, so im trying to figure out a way to only use medication in the night.

i dont know much about vitamins. i know that zinc supposedly "regulates overactive sebaceous glands," but take that with a grain of salt.

i'm in the same boat as you, and i dont think there is much we can do. there are products like OC Eight that absorb extra oil, but that only solves the problem for a few hours, then your oil will return again.

in my experience, cutting off all topicals will greatly reduce your oil. sometimes you think that it is just oil coming out of your face, but in reality it is a mix of oil and cream.

unfortunately for me, i need topicals to control my acne, so im trying to figure out a way to only use medication in the night.

i dont know much about vitamins. i know that zinc supposedly "regulates overactive sebaceous glands," but take that with a grain of salt.

Yeah same here. Perhaps if I slowly ween myself off of topicals and just use face washes. IDK.

does your oil die down by nighttime?

all my oiliness goes away by nighttime...which leads me to two possibilities:

1) the cooler temperature promotes less oil/sweat from coming out

2) all of the "extra" topical has been wiped off by me, meaning nothing is oozing out anymore

its something i find very interesting...

Guest anonymous

long term vilantae or a b5 regimen.

I'm not sure if the oil dies down by night... I'll have to check and see. I just know it' oily throughout the day. I've been thinking of looking into a B5 regimen, or something similar. Was looking for something hopefully affordable. Basically Vilantae wouldn't even last me the whole month. It's 400 pills with a recommended 20 a day. 20 days worth for 39.99 >.<

I would rather not buy pills to get rid of the oiliness. My face looks good after a shower, but after a few hours the oiliness is back and my parents think my face is dirty all the time. Really annoying. I stopped using topicals all together and I think it helped. I read that coconut and jojoba oil gets rid of the oil, but you have to like order these things online. I couldn't find them in my local CVS last time I checked.

just wanna add my two cents here in regards to skin being less oily in the morning...

i used to think mine was less oily in the morning as well, but as it turns out, all the oil was just soaking into my pillow/sheets while i slept. once i got into the habit of sleeping on my back (and avoiding contact between my face + pillow during the night) i noticed my skin was just as oily when i woke up in the morning as any other time.

the moisturizer i am using is excellent at controlling oil. it also helps with dark spots and uneven skin tone. its expensive but worth it imo.a little goes a long way. neutrogena anti acne moisturizer was pretty good also but doesnt hold a candle to cosmedix.

I have super duper oily skin too. I hope it eventually goes away. I always wake up in the morning w/ a big shiny forehead. I use the oil absorbing sheets all the times it seem like 24/7. I hope there is something we can use for it to go away. I've been reading and other people are suggesting zinc or other vitamins. I might just look into that.

Oily skin sucks and it's so embarrasing. It gets bad when my body gets hot especially in the heat like summertime.

I've been browsing some other posts and forums and have been reviewing what other people suggest but was curious....

Is there anything that can help with my oily skin? My nose is always shiny and oily and th regions around it. It seems like no matter how many times I dab the oil away with a kleenex it will be back in a couple of hours. Is there anything I can do to reduce the oily production/help my oily skin?

I've read about B5 vitamins etc. but it sounds like you have to take 20 pills a day which sounds rather absurd. I know there are supposedly face washes/moisturizers that help etc. But I don't know what's good or not. Anyone know of anything that works well or have any suggestions.

Yeah my face gets extremely oily during the day, so I blot it away. But when I blot does that mean I'm also taking off the BP thats mixed in the with the oil?

I have fairly oily skin and b5 didn't do jack for me. I gave it a good chance to work and eventually got up to 10 grams -- nothing.

Hi all,

I was chatting on another topic about Aloe as a moisturizer, and I thought my comments could also pertain here. I actually have my own line of all natural skin care products called Svirz Organics. It's just in it's infancy right now, but I have an entire line dedicated to problem skin, as I too have been fighting it for the last ten years.

Aloe vera is a mild astringent, which means it helps to tone and restore the skin's natural pH. I pair pure aloe vera juice with lavender and rosemary essential oils and Jojoba oil. Lavender is so incredibly good for the skin, especially acneic and irritated skin. Lavender is one of the most gentle and soothing essential oils. Infact, I apply it alone to my face once I have used a toner. Rosemary is great for oily-combo skin, for it's cell regenerating and antiseptic properties, and ability to heal wounds. Jojoba is wonderful because it's properties are very similar to that of natural sebum produced in our skin. Jojoba actually will absorb excess sebum - likes dissolve likes, without drying out the skin.

So, I guess to answer your question, you can use Aloe as a light moisturizer. I would recommend that you only use Aloe Vera juice, as it does not have any coloring added to it. In it's natural state, it will be clear, not blue or green. I would put it in a small aerosol so you can lightly spritz your face with it as needed.

Also, something to keep in mind...if your skin becomes dry enough to where it is flaky, your body will produce an over-abundance of oil to compensate. Your goal when cleansing or toning should be to remove excess oil without stripping the skin of it protective barrier. What you don't want is that "squeaky clean" feel as it equates to "dried out".

On the flip side, because oily skin is well lubricated it is less prone to fine lines and wrinkles.

I have been able to control my oil production and my acne by using natural remedies, as I described above. I do believe that you can do it without chemicals, preservatives, parabens, medication, etc.

If anyone has any questions about products tailored specifically to their needs, please let me know.

Regards,

Kitty Kat

Kitty Kat, I always thought oil was bad to put on your skin. Hence all the "Oil Free" moisturizers/skin cleaners etc. That's why all this talk about Joboba Oil always confuses me. :think:

Priestess and Acne_be_gone need a prescription for accutane >.<, do you need a prescription for Minocycline?

There are many different oils out there that clog your pores, Jojoba is not one of them.

Along those same lines, dirt, grime, makeup can all be removed with an oil-based or creamy cleanser when used initially, followed by a mild soap, soap-free or clay-based cleanser. I use an oil-based lotion to remove my eye makeup, them reapply it as an eye cream.

I would rather not buy pills to get rid of the oiliness. My face looks good after a shower, but after a few hours the oiliness is back and my parents think my face is dirty all the time. Really annoying. I stopped using topicals all together and I think it helped. I read that coconut and jojoba oil gets rid of the oil, but you have to like order these things online. I couldn't find them in my local CVS last time I checked.

i have never ordered these online but you wont find em in CVS...try trader joe's, whole foods or the vitamin shoppe.

the oil cleansing method worked well to decrease my oil production but not much as far as acne, idk maybe i was using the wrong oil. but yes, coconut oil and jojoba oil are very good for the skin. remember, oil dissolves oil...

God, I know what ALL of you are going through! Lately, I have had it up to here with it! I've tried to cut down on face washing, which I know can make it worse. Of late, I have seen using baking soda in the morning and night, and I can say it has heped to reduce the amount of oil, and even lightened my skin some. My face feels better in general. I do use wipes, toilet paper, anything like that, to keep weening myself off excess washing.

I do find it's worse in the day then at night, mostly just after I get up. I think it could be build up through the night, but I know stress is a big factor.