Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kikistarz

Sensitive, Acne-Prone, Always Red & Irritated Asian Skin!

I've been having a massive breakout ever since a year ago, and I was on Doxycycline (100mg) everyday for 6-7 months. I have stopped as of the start of July 2008.

Recently, my skin seemed to break out, and I'm not sure if its due to the humid weather or the heavy pollution in the streets of Hong Kong. (I was in UK before but came back home to Hong Kong for Summer holidays)

I've already consulted my dermatologist about this issue and he always prescribes me Tretinoin topical creams to apply on my 'infected/inflammation skin'. However, my skin is not only sensitive, it's also acne-prone, so when I apply these harsh topicals on my skin, it makes it even MORE red than it already is, and it sometimes breaks me out like 3 days after I constantly applied it on. Ruins my whole complexion. Though I've heard that it gets worse before it gets better. But then really, I don't know if I can manage to do that, since I've heard that it takes 4-6 weeks for it to be better!!!! I'm not sure if my sensitive skin can handle it >.<

Instead, I went to consult a Chinese Medicine practicioner for advise on my acne and my PMS cycle. I've been drinking specially prescribed chinese herbal medicine everyday though sometimes it controls my acne, sometimes it doesn't. Fairly unstable. But its a natural way to get my internal organs in shape and possibly, help detoxify.

Either way, my skin's still not in good shape - even if I use water to wash my face it gets pretty red (but it fades after a while).

I've heard that masks and facial steams are good. I've tried some herbal Ayurvedic mask that is in powder form and you simply add water to create a paste. It was really good though after I wash it off, my face was pretty red - not like a pretty red, but all the bumps/inflammed dots sort of red which isn't at all impressive.

Also, earlier today I went to do my 1st time herbal facial steam - and after I steamed my face for 30 mins, my whole face was RED! It took quite a while for it to go away, was pretty scary to look at my face like that.

I'm not sure if my skin is really suitable for masks/facial steams just yet. The redness just kills me. =/

My daily regimen for skincare is pretty simple, washing my face twice a day with Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser.

Got some pictures of my skin below. Pimples usually pop up in the T zone, mainly forehead, cheeks, side of the nose, on the nose and underneath my lips....

dsc00018cd4.jpg

dsc00019rx2.jpg

dsc00020uj8.jpg

dsc00021th4.jpg

Thanks for any advice! :)

PS - I have no idea why my pictures don't show up and the fact that when I try to post the URL it doesn't show up either :S

I have a similar problem, my skin is extremelly sensitive. I have also been on various anti-biotics and I assure you that once the acne bacteria have got used to the anti-biotics the spots just come back. Personally I think that you should consider Accutane. I wish I had done so years ago as it is the one thing that may truly work. In the mean time you can try another anti-biotic such as Erythromycin to give you temporary relief. I also should mention that my skin did not take well to Tretinoin topicals. One topical, which I do like is Azelaic Acid. This can help get rid of spots and red marks, but may cause you a lot of irritation. I wish you the best of luck and my thoughts are with you. Feel free to send me a PM if you wish.