Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Seabass

BRA BREAKOUTS!!

So I have a feeling that my breakouts on my back are triggered by my bra straps rubbing against my shoulders all day, since my acne seems to be concentrated in that area. I know that 100% cotton is best, but good bras rarely come like this, especially the straps. My question is, what other fabrics besides cotton are acceptable? Can I buy a bra that is a cotton blend with spandex? Basically it's cotton with some spandex added for stretch?

I've had this problem before....actually, I got a bit of a rash from wearing a strapless synthetic bra in the heat. Sweat + synthetic material = rash for me. :X. I also will get tiny breakouts around the strap and band areas occasionally. I either avoid wearing bras when in high heat for extended periods & go with a cotton tank with built-in shelf bra, or I try to wear a cotton bra.

Natural fibers, usually meaning cotton for bras, is the best way to go. A little stretch added in, like 5% lycra, should be fine. I think the material will still breath so long as it is mostly cotton. I think VS makes some cotton blend bras. I have a decent one from them, with cotton straps even.

And yes, it is hard to find natural fiber bras. Especially for summer, you'd think they'd make a strapless cotton bra! :rolleyes:

I actually found a website that makes 100% cotton bras but they are really expensive. www.decentexposures.com. And they are kind of granny. I was actually looking for a sports bra because this is when I sweat and where the trouble comes, when I exercise. I ordered hanes sports bras made of 95% cotton and 5% lycra, they call it stretch cotton.

The cotton tank thing sounds good, where do you get yours from?

I have victorias secret bras but they are not cotton. which one do you wear that is cotton?

Well I realized my cotton tanks are all 95% cotton with a bit of stretch. I've bought most of my tanks at Target & Express, and a few bra tops at VS. The built-in bra tanks are great for the gym.

My actual sports bra is only 50% cotton with lycra & polyester, and I got it at Target many years ago. It seems to be okay also. I'm not sure at what point a synthetic will stop the material from breathing. Just my own conjecture, but I think if it is mostly natural fiber it should still breathe; so maybe stick to looking for 95% cotton blends :shrug:

The VS cotton bras I have are actually cotton blends, more like 70/30 though. I have this one I wear to gym when I'm just doing pilates or yoga.

So it looks like 100% cotton is really tough to find, but all of these options have been better for me than completely synthetic bras. I haven't gotten any red bumps or rash along the straps or band with them.

Well I realized my cotton tanks are all 95% cotton with a bit of stretch. I've bought most of my tanks at Target & Express, and a few bra tops at VS. The built-in bra tanks are great for the gym.

My actual sports bra is only 50% cotton with lycra & polyester, and I got it at Target many years ago. It seems to be okay also. I'm not sure at what point a synthetic will stop the material from breathing. Just my own conjecture, but I think if it is mostly natural fiber it should still breathe; so maybe stick to looking for 95% cotton blends :shrug:

The VS cotton bras I have are actually cotton blends, more like 70/30 though. I have this one I wear to gym when I'm just doing pilates or yoga.

So it looks like 100% cotton is really tough to find, but all of these options have been better for me than completely synthetic bras. I haven't gotten any red bumps or rash along the straps or band with them.

I just bought a bra from the cotton collection at VS online. I will try it out. Thanks!!

Also, could it be an issue of just not washing your bras frequently/well enough? Kind of like changing the pillow slip more often...