Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skmrprsn

56 days in and lots of questions

i am currently taking 20mg once a day and am on day number 56. i am about 5'9" and weigh about 145. i had small bumps on my forehead that have for the most part gone away and i havent gotten any pimples on my back in a while. the trouble area though is around my mouth. on the bottom right and left sides of my mouth i am still breaking out. a lot of small flesh toned bumps are present and i am still getting whiteheads....in that area i really havent seen much of an improvement at all. here are some pictures (taken with a cell phone). im wondering if my derm is underprescribing me bc weighing about 145 i feel like i should be taking 40mg...any advice/suggestions would be helpful. thanks!

post-62256-1217471752_thumb.jpg

post-62256-1217471788_thumb.jpg

post-62256-1217471752_thumb.jpg

post-62256-1217471788_thumb.jpg

do you live in the united states? i read in an article that US dermatologists perscribe the highest dosage of isotretinoin. It looks like your derm has you on a low dose course. Nevertheless, your skin should clear up the same way regardless of what dosage you are on. however the cumulative dosage is what determines whether your acne is put into remission for good. If you have no serious side effects and is comfortable with the 20mg, then i suggest talking to your dermatologist about increasing your daily dosage to maybe 2x20mg or higher. but don't' expect your skin to clear up any faster or something like that. the only thing you may notice is more severe side effects.

do you live in the united states? i read in an article that US dermatologists perscribe the highest dosage of isotretinoin. It looks like your derm has you on a low dose course. Nevertheless, your skin should clear up the same way regardless of what dosage you are on. however the cumulative dosage is what determines whether your acne is put into remission for good. If you have no serious side effects and is comfortable with the 20mg, then i suggest talking to your dermatologist about increasing your daily dosage to maybe 2x20mg or higher. but don't' expect your skin to clear up any faster or something like that. the only thing you may notice is more severe side effects.

You are definitely on a low dosage. I am 5'6'' 108lbs and on 60mg a day and my dermatologist seems to think that this is a relatively modest dose. Your derm may be planning to have you take 20 mg for a longer period of time. Has he/se mentioned how long your course will be. The cumulative mg's per kg of your weight is what they ultimately look at.

6 months is what she said. so if i was taking 60mg a day, it wouldnt make a difference? it would only matter as far as remission goes?

I'm 120 and on ~55 (alternating odd/even days 40/60). If you were to bump up to 60 you would get stronger/more side effects, complete remission would be more likely, and your course length would be shortened.

The area around my mouth has been just as stubborn as yours. Frustrating! I also think you should talk to your derm about increasing to 60mg.

The area around my mouth has been just as stubborn as yours. Frustrating! I also think you should talk to your derm about increasing to 60mg.

Yeah...i would talk to your derm about being bumped up. 6 months isn't that long on 20mg and it would be unfortunate if you didn't get the full effect that is possible. I am on 60mg and the side effects have not been that bad...so don't worry:-)

im not worried in the least about moving up mg's. i dont really have any side effects while taking 20mg. at first i had really dry skin and chapped lips, but my skin is no longer dry....my lips are still chapped though. a couple weeks ago i had somewhat bad lower back pain when i picked stuff up but that has subsided. is it normal that my dry skin goes away when im about to start month 3? keep in mind i live in a pretty hot and humid climate (which may hide the dryness).