Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm cross posting again from the Adult Acne forum, hope no one minds. I should have posted here first, this seems like a more relevant forum. Sorry for the cross postings.

I don't post much, I'm more of a lurker, but I have a few questions. First, a little background. I'm a 22 year old female that has been dealing with serious acne since age 11. Under one derm I tried everything under the sun, plus two rounds of Accutane. Finally last year I switched derms and with his help and a third round of Accutane I am 99% clear. I hope I didn't just jinx myself with that one. At first I was a little skeptical with the new derm because a lot of what he did was the complete opposite of my original derm. He put me on a mega dose of Accutane from the beginning (since I had been on it before with few side effects), recommended using NO moisturizer, and only washing twice a day with the Cetaphil bar cleanser, NOT the liquid. And never, ever exfoliating while taking the Accutane for for awhile after. Also, wash only with slighly cool water, never warm. I was very skeptical, but desperate so I followed his instructions to a T. After 5 months of Accutane, I was clearer than I'd ever been in 10 years and (crossing fingers) I still am.

Post-Accutane, he has prescribed that I continue to wash morning and night with the Cetaphil bar cleanser and cool water. In the morning, after using the Cetaphil he prescribed that I use the Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask and if I find it too drying to leave on for the full recommended 3 minutes, leave on for only 30 seconds. Following that, I apply a sulfacetamide sodium topical. In the evenings, I again wash with the Cetaphil and cool water and then apply a topical containing SA and the sulfacetamide sodium topical again. This has kept me 99% clear. I still on occasion get whiteheads, but very, very small ones that generally disappear overnight.

My main battle now is trying to smooth and even out my skin. I still find that I get very oily (although no acne) especially in hot weather. I a religiously use Neutrogena 45 SPF oil-free sunscreen to prevent worsening the red marks. To me, besides the red marks, my skin just has a gray, unhealthy appearance I think due to build up of dead skin from not exfoliating. Now that I am off the Accutane, I think I need some gentle exfoliation to "liven up" my skin. I've heard mixed reviews on the Clarisonic skin care brush. I'm not looking at it as a cure for acne, but to improve skin texture. Has anyone had any experience with the Clarisonic? Also, if it is something that might make a difference I don't mind paying the price, but does anyone know if there is maybe a store brand (Walmart, Target, etc.) Clarisonic that may be a little cheaper in price?

Sorry that this is so long, but if you made it this far and have any ideas for me, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

I have the Clarisonic. I got it a bit cheaper off of ebay, but I kind of regret it.

From what I've read about it, it's wonderful. Nearly everyone else who has it seems to love it. I suppose it does what it's advertised to do.. But I never noticed much of a difference. I, too have problems with bad skin texture but the clarisonic never seemed to make much of a difference-- although, it does make topicals sink in easier, I guess since it pores aren't as clogged? I don't know. It never helped my acne at all. And I remember reading that it tends to make you *more* oily since again, the pores are more "open".. or whatever.

I do think there's a cheaper knock-off brand online that you could try..Forgot what it's called though. Better yet you could buy a microfiber cloth online, they're very cheap and exfoliate well.

I have the Clarisonic. I got it a bit cheaper off of ebay, but I kind of regret it.

From what I've read about it, it's wonderful. Nearly everyone else who has it seems to love it. I suppose it does what it's advertised to do.. But I never noticed much of a difference. I, too have problems with bad skin texture but the clarisonic never seemed to make much of a difference-- although, it does make topicals sink in easier, I guess since it pores aren't as clogged? I don't know. It never helped my acne at all. And I remember reading that it tends to make you *more* oily since again, the pores are more "open".. or whatever.

I do think there's a cheaper knock-off brand online that you could try..Forgot what it's called though. Better yet you could buy a microfiber cloth online, they're very cheap and exfoliate well.

I just purchased the clarisonic as well. I think there is a chaper version at Target called pretika microdermabrasion.