Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blue Strawberry

A thread about being happy whilst having acne

I’ve been reading MANY threads recently here at the org. where you can just vent, ditch the positive attitude or just basically B! +ch and whine about your acne. I even read one where I was being told I was damaged, this really got to me. I’ve read stuff like ACNE RAPED ME (that sounds like a horror movie title). In all honesty I’m not little miss sunshine, I’m far from it. And yes I do occasionally feel down about my acne and when that happens I just write a sentence or 2 about it in my blog…but I try really hard not to dwell on that. I know that being all happy go lucky won’t clear me up…but I also know that being negative won’t clear me up, and can actually just make it worse. It seems to me that a lot of people focus so hard and long on one thing that they end up completely distorting it.

Acne comes with a lot of emotional baggage. Some days I feel like while I was sleeping the Apocalypse came or a meteorite hit, and I’m the only one alive. That’s how lonely I feel. So I just put some make up on or big sunglasses a hat and a hoody and go outside. I’ll see my neighbor or any random stranger and know that it was just a momentary feeling of solitude.

Complaining about not having friends or a b/f , g/f …whilst locked up in your room because of acne is well, pointless. To me… it’s like expecting to get a perfect boyfriend as a prize in my cheerios box…CHANCES ARE SLIM TO NONE. If you are always negative, you’ll be such a toxic person no one will want to be around you, and it won’t be because of the acne that they stay away.

Acne doesn’t make me happy but it doesn’t make me so unhappy that I’m no longer functional or damaged. I guess all I’m trying to say is, I think that I’m lucky that I get to be alive and experience as many things as possible, even if that includes annoying spots on my face.

Anyways, I know it's really hard, acne has made me really depressed at times to. I just don't want it to be like that anymore. I’m not criticizing anyone who posts on those threads…and your welcome to complain on this one too (whatever makes you happy ;) …) but think about it…by tomorrow today will be gone and you will have spent it moaning and complaining instead of actually just living your life.

Yeah, believe it or not, there are a few plenty of us who share the same philosophy and are actively trying to support people in going down the positive light (which isn't always successful, since it is a lot easier to just become angry and frustrated with acne).

Good for you, and keep encouraging others!

I LOVE ACNE!!!!

well maybe i wont go that far lol. I think it has postive and negative aspects as do almost everything we experience in life.

However being happy, at least in my perspective, has nothing to do with how you look, and eveything with how you want to feel. If you truly want to be happy, then you can just be happy with exactly who are.

i've tried being happy with acne and i've tried ignoring it, but the people around me won't allow that. they keep reminding me that i'm inferior to them, which i am, and that i cannot live a happy life without clear skin, whether it's indirect or not. it's just not possible in any way.

it might of been a different story if i only had a few spots here and there, but since my face is completely covered in red spots and scarring, there's just no hope.

Great post! I agree it is better to try to be positive rather than negative all the time. We are only human and can get down at times but it is much easier to live life happy.

Yes great post. We have to remember that there are many unfortunate people in this world who have more serious problems and illnesses than acne. To cheer up, watch this video. Its so funny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7qSJ19f_QU

Here's more. Note that she is happy inspite of all her "shortcomings".

i've tried being happy with acne and i've tried ignoring it, but the people around me won't allow that. they keep reminding me that i'm inferior to them, which i am, and that i cannot live a happy life without clear skin, whether it's indirect or not. it's just not possible in any way.

it might of been a different story if i only had a few spots here and there, but since my face is completely covered in red spots and scarring, there's just no hope.

Hiya, artofdrowning

Your only inferior to them if you believe yourself to be inferior, I'm sure the people around you making you feel like this are NOT perfect. Maybe they have clear skin but that one fact doesn't make them perfect.

And I'm not just saying this, sure when my acne is at it's worse I feel like I'm not as pretty as other girls. I'm only human. But I realize that like RCRanger mentioned a few posts above beauty isn't ONLY based on physical characteristics. You can't define yourself ONLY by what you look like, we're human beings we're a lot more complex than that.

What a great thread. This is the kind of attitude that im aiming for. It is a hard struggle to feel good when you have acne. There are times when u feel like shit. But if you give up and accept living a life of being obsessive thinking your worthless then you’ll get nowhere. Its best accepting you have acne for now and living life as normal and eventually it will fade away. Nobody should think there worthless just cos they have spots on there face. I find that ridiculous although I understand how people get to feel that way because sometimes it is a dam cruel world. Believe in yourself people you can still be hot with acne don’t let is break you!

By the way blue strawberry you are very hot:) Its girls like you that make it worth living and there are plenty of girls like you about. I think its a misconeption that all girls are overly conncerned with other people flaws e.g acne, There are plenty of really hot girls who have great personaliltys you know. A girl likes someone to make them laugh, feel safe and someone they can connect with. Sure I may have acne but I have a dam sight better persoanilty than a lot fo people with flawless skin!

I™ve been reading MANY threads recently here at the org. where you can just vent, ditch the positive attitude or just basically B! +ch and whine about your acne. I even read one where I was being told I was damaged, this really got to me. I™ve read stuff like ACNE RAPED ME (that sounds like a horror movie title). In all honesty I™m not little miss sunshine, I™m far from it. And yes I do occasionally feel down about my acne and when that happens I just write a sentence or 2 about it in my blogbut I try really hard not to dwell on that. I know that being all happy go lucky won™t clear me upbut I also know that being negative won™t clear me up, and can actually just make it worse. It seems to me that a lot of people focus so hard and long on one thing that they end up completely distorting it.

Acne comes with a lot of emotional baggage. Some days I feel like while I was sleeping the Apocalypse came or a meteorite hit, and I™m the only one alive. That™s how lonely I feel. So I just put some make up on or big sunglasses a hat and a hoody and go outside. I™ll see my neighbor or any random stranger and know that it was just a momentary feeling of solitude.

Complaining about not having friends or a b/f , g/f whilst locked up in your room because of acne is well, pointless. To me it™s like expecting to get a perfect boyfriend as a prize in my cheerios boxCHANCES ARE SLIM TO NONE. If you are always negative, you™ll be such a toxic person no one will want to be around you, and it won™t be because of the acne that they stay away.

Acne doesn™t make me happy but it doesn™t make me so unhappy that I™m no longer functional or damaged. I guess all I™m trying to say is, I think that I™m lucky that I get to be alive and experience as many things as possible, even if that includes annoying spots on my face.

Anyways, I™m not criticizing anyone who posts on those threadsand your welcome to complain on this one too (whatever makes you happy ;) ) but think about itby tomorrow today will be gone and you will have spent it moaning and complaining instead of actually just living your life.

Stellar post.

"Hold your glass up, hold it in

Never betray the way you've always known it is.

One day I'll be wondering how

I got so old just wondering how

I never got cold wearing nothing in the snow".

By the way blue strawberry you are very hot:) Its girls like you that make it worth living and there are plenty of girls like you about. I think its a misconeption that all girls are overly conncerned with other people flaws e.g acne, There are plenty of really hot girls who have great personaliltys you know. A girl likes someone to make them laugh, feel safe and someone they can connect with. Sure I may have acne but I have a dam sight better persoanilty than a lot fo people with flawless skin!

:redface: , I agree with you. Sure first impressions are important, and yes the first thing you see is someones face (exterior) I'm not arguing that! But a flawless face on a hot guy/girl gets boring fast if they don't have a personality to compliment it with. PS. I have a cat named Rocket so I think you have a wicked screen name ;)

Being so positive is a skill I think and some people are much better than others. The best advice to give anybody is to be positive in the face of acne but its the nature of the condition that it will bring you down sometimes. I think if your naturally predisposed to depression or even feeling blue acne is going to be a much tougher journey for you and being upbeat is a more difficult feat for people like that.

I completley agree with the negativity in people being the 'toxic' force which pushes people away rather than the acne though, having a pleasant attitude and a strong, determined outlook will allow you to live life with much more enjoyment. I hope as many people as possible can learn that and understand that its not the acne which is causing estrangement issues, rather its the mood and personality projected. Its a misconception which kept me from feeling good for a good while.

I do like to think of some of the positives which I've got out of life due to bad skin, and often wonder what I would be like if I never had it. Obviously I would swap for clear skin in the blink of an eye but being a social reject ( ^_^ ) has meant I've had to entertain myself a lot and I really enjoy hobbies like writing and especially drawing and painting, and I'm not sure I would have got into them if I had more of a fruitful social life. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining about not having much of a social life because I do enjoy my own company and the company of my close friends just fine! :)

Another thing which I'm happy about is I think it has given me a better outlook with regards to other people, I really don't judge people by their appearances the way I hear other people doing because I know how hurtful it can be.

Plus, like others have said, there are always people worse off. I might have skin issues but at least I can walk and swim and I have my sight and hearing etc etc.

I've had a fantastic life despite having mild to moderate acne for the past 20 years. I think for me, acne has always been less of a concern than my migraines and environmental allergies, which at times have taken over my life and given me a poor attitude. At least when it is just a bad acne day, I don't physically feel like I can't do anything, which often happens when I have asthma or a bad migraine.

People who blame acne for their life being miserable will just find something else to be miserable about once their acne clears up. It's never just about the acne.

People who blame acne for their life being miserable will just find something else to be miserable about once their acne clears up. It's never just about the acne.

maybe, but for me, I just feel like people can't look past my acne. Evrytime I talk to someone I imagine them saying to themselves, "God, look at this guys face, it is horrible". But Acne has ruined my life alot and I am stuck with it.

Looks are vital for being happy, and as for being happy with acne, it depends if you only have 5 spots it's possible, but anyone with severe acne knows that it is just not possible to be a happy person.

I was a very happy person before i got acne, and now the acne is gone i have scars. I'm not a happy person but i put up a front and still go out with friends constantly. But not happy on the inside.

I totally understand people getting down in the dumps over acne, I totally get it. I was there once and still have down times. But at some point you've just got to say, "Fuck it!".

I'm 21 and still have very moderate acne, just reduced from severe. However, I'm a positive outgoing person (through choice) and life just isn't that bad. I have hundreds of friends and many girlfriends (...oops) and am travelling as much as I can (Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand in December and then Tanzania, Africa in June).

I don't mean this as a brag post or any crap like that but more to say, fuck the bullshit. I have quite an unattractive face... So I hit the gym hard for a year and ripped up a good body. You soon realise looks are trivial anyway when you just continue life. For the record, I will state at this point that I had social anxiety at one point and dropped out of university and everything. It's not like I never struggled with it.

When people make snide remarks, smile at them. It's funny knowing you have more friends and respect from people than some inconsiderate asshole. If they keep being a faggot, punch them... All in all, live life. Fuck it. In the downtimes go and see a friend and hang out for a bit.

Acne sucks but it also gives opportunity through perspective. I'll never, ever judge a book by it's cover again. Every person is worth their story. It has inspired me to become an international volunteer and hopefully get work after uni for an NGO helping out underpriviledged people.

Mentality of the underdog. Make sure that underdawg wins. ;)

I totally understand people getting down in the dumps over acne, I totally get it. I was there once and still have down times. But at some point you've just got to say, "Fuck it!".

I'm 21 and still have very moderate acne, just reduced from severe. However, I'm a positive outgoing person (through choice) and life just isn't that bad. I have hundreds of friends and many girlfriends (...oops) and am travelling as much as I can (Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand in December and then Tanzania, Africa in June).

I don't mean this as a brag post or any crap like that but more to say, fuck the bullshit. I have quite an unattractive face... So I hit the gym hard for a year and ripped up a good body. You soon realise looks are trivial anyway when you just continue life. For the record, I will state at this point that I had social anxiety at one point and dropped out of university and everything. It's not like I never struggled with it.

When people make snide remarks, smile at them. It's funny knowing you have more friends and respect from people than some inconsiderate asshole. If they keep being a faggot, punch them... All in all, live life. Fuck it. In the downtimes go and see a friend and hang out for a bit.

Acne sucks but it also gives opportunity through perspective. I'll never, ever judge a book by it's cover again. Every person is worth their story. It has inspired me to become an international volunteer and hopefully get work after uni for an NGO helping out underpriviledged people.

Mentality of the underdog. Make sure that underdawg wins. ;)

Another great post! See thats the attitude to have! I have had symptons of social aniexty disorder and the past year my ance got worse and I became dead reclusive. Forutnalty for me I had a saving grace. I got a job working with young peole with severe eplipsey,learning difficulites autism etc. This changed my perspective totally. At least I have my sanity and I dotn have terrible fits that leave me feeling horrible. Acne is nothing compared to that im sorry even severe acne. Acne will evenutally fade over time these people have there problems for LIFE. I feel guilty when I feel so obsessed about my acne now.

life is hard for everyone but it seems to me that this post highlights yet another impact of acne - guilt. Yes we know its not a life threatening disease, yes we know we can have a great life despite our bad skin, yes we know there are plenty of people worse off. But this should not amount to our anxieties being invalidated.

My partner always freaks out at me when I get upset cos of my spots, resulting in me now crying in secret. Ironically he had to go on roaccutane when he was my age, yet seems to have forgotten the stress involved in being this way. I'm 24, a mum, and not a weakling, but my ruined face breaks my heart. The emotional effect is increasing, paradoxically as my active acne improves to reveal the extent of my permanent scarring! I never see anyone, ANYONE with skin as bad as mine in person. That's why this forum on the emotional effects is like a haven to me. Keep your posts coming, they're like a life line. Chin up everyone.

life is hard for everyone but it seems to me that this post highlights yet another impact of acne - guilt. Yes we know its not a life threatening disease, yes we know we can have a great life despite our bad skin, yes we know there are plenty of people worse off. But this should not amount to our anxieties being invalidated.

My partner always freaks out at me when I get upset cos of my spots, resulting in me now crying in secret. Ironically he had to go on roaccutane when he was my age, yet seems to have forgotten the stress involved in being this way. I'm 24, a mum, and not a weakling, but my ruined face breaks my heart. The emotional effect is increasing, paradoxically as my active acne improves to reveal the extent of my permanent scarring! I never see anyone, ANYONE with skin as bad as mine in person. That's why this forum on the emotional effects is like a haven to me. Keep your posts coming, they're like a life line. Chin up everyone.

hey yeah i totallty understand. Id never dream of belittling someone’s feelings if there feeling like shit cos they have acne /bad skin. It still effects me from time to time and is a little today in face. And it is hard for other people to understand what your going through if they haven’t experienced it themself. I believe and have faith tho that not everyone is bothered by people having acne/scars etc. Sure some are but why must we feel so shitty cos of there opinions besides they have prob got problems themselves. No ones perfect everyone has some sort of issue. And nearly every normal persons skin has some sort of flaw. The utter crap that we see in magazines on televion of everyone having perfect skin is rubbish!. Im sure if we all had access to that much make up and airbrushing we could look near perfect too.

I love acne , that way I could find the right girl who is SWEET

those who don't care about a guy having acne they are nice.

I love acne , that way I could find the right girl who is SWEET

those who don't care about a guy having acne they are nice.

I approve of this post. It extends to people in general. When you have acne and you end up with a lot of friends, you're naturally surrounded by a lot of cool people that aren't judgemental.

Nice post, EddieE.

I agree with EddieE,

I'm grateful for acne in some ways knowing that my boyfriend loves me for who I am, and not just in a "no so committed" relationship based on looks. With my acne mild acne condition, I'm happy just knowing that he's there for me and honestly believes I'm beautiful with or without flaws on my skin. Now that's special I think.

Another perspective of acne, it's a mini-test for people to see if they're your friend for your looks or for who you are really. :D

Good luck on clear skin everyone!

I know for me negativity is a downward spiral. I get upset cause I have spots on my face... then get upset with myself for being upset about something that is surface and not interior. Then I get more and more down and more deeply entrenched in myself & unhappiness with my spots.

I have noticed, and im not sure if anyone else has... but when I am helping other people I forget about my face and skin issues. Ex. I volunteer at a soup kitchen- cook & talk to the homeless. When I am there I am over joyed. I no longer and introspective and bent in on my own "ugliness" but am thinking about these people... how I can make their life better if even for a moment, a smile, a chance to be seen as a person.

Staying positive is KEY to having good things come ur way. My boyfriend tells me that I am most beautiful when I smile... even if i wear no makeup, have spots... but if I have a smile he is smiling and LOVES IT... Even more so than if I have makeup on, look flawless and am sullen.