Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
silversunpickup

My Fraxel (Restore) Results - 1 year later.

Hey everyone! I just joined and I wanted to give my opinion on Fraxil (Restore) treatments. I did 6 treatments- about 5 weeks apart- finishing this time last year. (I have moderate scarring on my cheeks and temples, and lighter scarring on my forehead and chin.) When I arrived for each treatment, an assistant applied numbing gel to my face, and that stayed on for about an hour. Then, it is removed and the laser treatment begins. The laser feels a little sharp and hot against your mostly-numb skin. The actual procedure lasted 30 minutes each time. Afterwards, your skin feels really sunburned, hot, and swollen. The couple of days afterwards you look great because your face is swollen, so everything looks evened out. But, within a week my skin always returned to its original condition. It's been one year, and my skin has not improved. I don't recommend this version of Fraxil, I think the results are equivalent to a light/medium-strength peel, but much more costly.

Hey everyone! I just joined and I wanted to give my opinion on Fraxil (Restore) treatments. I did 6 treatments- about 5 weeks apart- finishing this time last year. (I have moderate scarring on my cheeks and temples, and lighter scarring on my forehead and chin.) When I arrived for each treatment, an assistant applied numbing gel to my face, and that stayed on for about an hour. Then, it is removed and the laser treatment begins. The laser feels a little sharp and hot against your mostly-numb skin. The actual procedure lasted 30 minutes each time. Afterwards, your skin feels really sunburned, hot, and swollen. The couple of days afterwards you look great because your face is swollen, so everything looks evened out. But, within a week my skin always returned to its original condition. It's been one year, and my skin has not improved. I don't recommend this version of Fraxil, I think the results are equivalent to a light/medium-strength peel, but much more costly.

Hey, I've been reading through the forum a lot and finally joined. Okay...silversunpickup... I feel your pain. I just finished my 5th continuous totaling 8 all together treatment of fraxel. Right now my feeling is exactly same as yours.

"The couple of days afterwards you look great because your face is swollen, so everything looks evened out. But, within a week my skin always returned to its original condition."

Due to the swallowing your scars plump up and makes it appears your skin is evened out yet after 2 week or so depressed area still exists.

Yet, I am not about to throw the towel. I am going to see it improved!! I am starting a thread journal of my acne scar journey. Just need to find out how first. : ) Don't forget to visit me and share your journey as well!!

First of what kind of scarring do you have? "moderate" does not really tell us anything if you have ice picks then poor results are to be expected. Second, you can not even remember the settings so your experience is not very helpful.

I don't mean to seem discouraging. I just don't want anyone to waste thousands of dollars on it like I did, if they have scarring similar to mine. I'll upload a picture of my scarring. To keep a little privacy it's going to be just my cheek, but that's where my worst scars are anyway. I also have little brown spots you might notice, those are from trying to tan my face, thinking it would look better, you all know about that, right.. And, I have lots of small red leftover spots from acne. My acne is subsiding, so I don't have any new scars. So, this is what my skin has looked like for years. My fraxel treatments didn't improve my skin, but it also didn't make it any worse. BTW I've also done 15 microdermabrasions consequetively(sp.), and those didn't not help me much either. So, I'm most likely doing the C02, I found a place that does it for $2900. About me, I'm 20/f, acne for 7 years.

*About the settings, again I'm not sure, I always just asked her to go as powerful as possible.

post-80580-1219454535_thumb.jpg

post-80580-1219454535_thumb.jpg

I have scarring very similar to yours how was yours classified? rolling? They look rolling scars but they are in weird shapes, I notice you have two from you picture one under the flash point on your cheek and another in the shadows on the side.

Afterwards, your skin feels really sunburned, hot, and swollen. The couple of days afterwards you look great because your face is swollen, so everything looks evened out. But, within a week my skin always returned to its original condition. It's been one year, and my skin has not improved.

I totally agree with you!!!!!!!

I spend $$$$$ for a newest Fraxel(fractional laser) treatment( it supposes to have a less downtime and much better results) last year. Each treatment cost me $1200.

I did 6 course, because the doctor recommended to me. He is very well known as an expert of laser, and on TV/magazine a lot. He also teaches at a famous university.

He promised me that I'll see a 40%-70% improvement, and also he was very positive.

So I trusted him... but it has been 7 months already, and my skin has not improved at all!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so regret that I spend a lot if money on it.

All doctors just want to make money!!!

I got much better results from a chemical peel treatment...

I want my money back..! :(

PS. My scars are very very minor, but still it didn't work..!!!!!!

Silvers, your scars don't look that bad at all. You have to get past the mindset that you need absolutely perfect skin.

If you had deeper rollling scars you might want to try subscision.

Bad advice. Subcision is a method to avoid. If you are thinking of trying "subcision" please have an injectable filler instead. You will get the benefit of "needling" the scar tissue with guaranteed safe cosmetic results. Please do not mess up your face by doing a risky method such as subsicion. The only sure-fired way to deal with acne scarring is topical retinoids, antioxidant creams/peels, nonablative lasers, and darmal fillers (juvederm and restylane are OK). Please don't do something you will regret later. Dermatologic surgery has advanced a lot in the past few years and combining the lasers with other good skin treatements (antioxidant creams/dermal fillers), you can produce good results over time. If you still have acne, then take accutane. If you continue to get acne it will not only make your current scars possibly worse (if you get a lesion in the same area), but it can also cause additional scarring or tempt you to pick at your skin..risking additional scarring. Despite what most dermatologists will tell you, I've never had a bad reaction with taking accutane while having laser therapy. Most dermatologists have never had acne so they go by what the "textbook says" or their medical school professors say. Yes in a way, we are still in the dark ages since so many physicians are uninformed about the specific trials acne and scarring patients have to go through. In fact, I've responded better to accutane treatment after getting lasers and never break out anymore! Not even once! Also consider doing microdermabrasion in addition to the other treatments. There is new research that says filler can help promote collagen buildup around where the filler is injected. Also moving the scar to the surface can help the laser and other topicals work better at fading the scar. A lot of scars have a discoloration component whether you know it or not and it can take time for the lasers to even out the skin texture/tone. Remember: your skin has a slow and steady response to absorbing the laser light. But the transformation is inevitable as your pigments AND/OR skin cells have already absorbed the laser light. In summary, if you want cosmetic results to hold you over please have a dermal filler not subcision or excision or any of that dangerous stuff. =)

Afterwards, your skin feels really sunburned, hot, and swollen. The couple of days afterwards you look great because your face is swollen, so everything looks evened out. But, within a week my skin always returned to its original condition. It's been one year, and my skin has not improved.

I totally agree with you!!!!!!!

I spend $$$$$ for a newest Fraxel(fractional laser) treatment( it supposes to have a less downtime and much better results) last year. Each treatment cost me $1200.

I did 6 course, because the doctor recommended to me. He is very well known as an expert of laser, and on TV/magazine a lot. He also teaches at a famous university.

He promised me that I'll see a 40%-70% improvement, and also he was very positive.

So I trusted him... but it has been 7 months already, and my skin has not improved at all!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so regret that I spend a lot if money on it.

All doctors just want to make money!!!

I got much better results from a chemical peel treatment...

I want my money back..! :(

PS. My scars are very very minor, but still it didn't work..!!!!!!

HEY UMM CAN U TELL ME WHAT DOCTOR TOLD U THAT??? WHAT WAS HIS NAME AND IF HE LIVE IN NEW YORK ...CAUSE I'M ABOUT TO GET THE FRAXEL 3/RESTORE IN A WEEK AND MY DOCTOR TOLD ME THOSE SAME WORDS AND HE;S ALSO FAMOUS WITH THE LASER....SO0O PLEASE LET ME KNOW BERORE I WASTE MY MONEY ON THIS GUY....

Bad advice. Subcision is a method to avoid. If you are thinking of trying "subcision" please have an injectable filler instead. You will get the benefit of "needling" the scar tissue with guaranteed safe cosmetic results. Please do not mess up your face by doing a risky method such as subsicion. The only sure-fired way to deal with acne scarring is topical retinoids, antioxidant creams/peels, nonablative lasers, and darmal fillers (juvederm and restylane are OK). Please don't do something you will regret later. Dermatologic surgery has advanced a lot in the past few years and combining the lasers with other good skin treatements (antioxidant creams/dermal fillers), you can produce good results over time. If you still have acne, then take accutane. If you continue to get acne it will not only make your current scars possibly worse (if you get a lesion in the same area), but it can also cause additional scarring or tempt you to pick at your skin..risking additional scarring. Despite what most dermatologists will tell you, I've never had a bad reaction with taking accutane while having laser therapy. Most dermatologists have never had acne so they go by what the "textbook says" or their medical school professors say. Yes in a way, we are still in the dark ages since so many physicians are uninformed about the specific trials acne and scarring patients have to go through. In fact, I've responded better to accutane treatment after getting lasers and never break out anymore! Not even once! Also consider doing microdermabrasion in addition to the other treatments. There is new research that says filler can help promote collagen buildup around where the filler is injected. Also moving the scar to the surface can help the laser and other topicals work better at fading the scar. A lot of scars have a discoloration component whether you know it or not and it can take time for the lasers to even out the skin texture/tone. Remember: your skin has a slow and steady response to absorbing the laser light. But the transformation is inevitable as your pigments AND/OR skin cells have already absorbed the laser light. In summary, if you want cosmetic results to hold you over please have a dermal filler not subcision or excision or any of that dangerous stuff. =)

Greg, subcision is one of the most effective ways to treat rolling scars. As with any procedure, there are risks. There are risks of new scarring and hyperpigmentation with lasers as well. Rolling scars are held down by tethers of scars tissue. It only makes sense to break those tethers to release the top layer of skin and level it. It's all in the technique. If you get a doctor who doesn't have much experience with subcision, there are risks of new scarring, however, if you get a doctor who knows what he/she is doing, subcision is one of the most physically effective and cost-effective procedures for rolling scars. I'm getting it done next week.

Greg, subcision is one of the most effective ways to treat rolling scars. As with any procedure, there are risks. There are risks of new scarring and hyperpigmentation with lasers as well. Rolling scars are held down by tethers of scars tissue. It only makes sense to break those tethers to release the top layer of skin and level it. It's all in the technique. If you get a doctor who doesn't have much experience with subcision, there are risks of new scarring, however, if you get a doctor who knows what he/she is doing, subcision is one of the most physically effective and cost-effective procedures for rolling scars. I'm getting it done next week.

I am going back for my second round of subcision on May 8, 2009. I agree with Saleena that you have to go the base of the problem for rolling acne scars: the tethered fibrous bands that hold down the tissue.

Of all of the acne scarring methods I've read, this one comes with the fewest risks, is probably the least expensive, and goes directly to the source of the problem.

Best wishes on your journey to healing....

Hi!!! just came across your site and thought maybe could a little of what i know....

Facts: when you undergo treatments... ( esp... prolonged ones)

1. you are more likely to see less improvement with time.... ( just like weight loss and weight gain)...

the initial improvement ( usually after a couple of treaments) is the most dramatic... only because to look at yourself in the mirror too often! :angel: ... get inspiration from the people who sees you less often... you will definitely feel better! :angel:

2. If you are expecting skin to be back as it was before the acne marched in... you are definitely in for a disappointment...

- scarred faces could only improve to a certain extent but never to get to even and smoothas it was before... though repetitive regimens to peel/stimulate collagen/resurface will camouflage the marks... buuuuutttt......... still.... at closer look... you still have marks......

3. laser resurfacing is to collagen synthesis... peelers is to skin turnover (s. basalis stimulation).. subsicion is to detachment of scar underneath (pustuled acnes, big red pimples in the past)... fillers for volume restoration.....

your treatment should be costumized/ personalized... helps a lot to specify what you want to improve and your expectations... helps the doctor that way...

4. Dermaroller is to collagen synthesis... a cheaper alternative to laser and been proven to be equivocal ( if not superior) with lasers ONLY in scar resurfacing/acne marks...

- its a bitmore painful though... :rolleyes:

5. helps to have a mild peeling regimen daily (not for the sensitive ones)... this works slowly in improving your skin without you sweating it out... :dance:

Hope this helps! ;)

any before and after from one year ago to now. i msure there is some improvement but since gradual and not drastic , its harder to tell

I'm considering Fraxel Restore. I have similar scarring. I don't know what to do. I want smooth skin danm it.

Added photo

i have no clue why there are even posts on this. fraxel restore is an incredibly weak laser with little potential to improve scars to any degree. the majority of people on this site do not recommend it. if you want to see the results you are after, you will need to try fraxel repair or another stronger laser treatment. sorry if it sounds negative. its just wasting peoples time by positing it on here.

How am I wasting peoples time? I want information about Restore as it is the only kind of Fraxel available where I am.

If it's so weak why do the company reccommend it for acne scarring?

Not sure if this topic is still active but I would like to share my results after 5 treatments of Fraxel Restore at the highest settings. The 5th treatment was 8 months ago. I am asian and I would say that I have medium asian skin color (not too light and not too dark but more light than dark)

I would say that I have various scars ranging from moderate to deep acne scars, the most noticeable scars are around my cheeks. Most are probably boxcar scars, but there are probably a few icepick scars. I don't know why other people say that Fraxel Restore is useless because I absolutely definitely see a noticeable improvement and I would absolutely recommend it. Hard to quantify % of improvement, but arguably, I would say at least a 50% improvement. However, improvement is not measured by scar size only. You also want to minimize people from noticing your scars and in that sense, I would say that it raises the % to 65% general improvement.

Perhaps it is the concept of diminishing returns... if your acne scars were very mild, then you will probably not benefit much from fraxel restore. If you are expecting Fraxel to give you perfectly smooth skin, then you will really be disappointed. For me, the scars were one problem but the permanent redness from the scars was another problem that compounded the problem and made the scars more noticeable. Fraxel Restore helped with both. Redness has been greatly reduced so my scars blend in more with my natural skin color and the size of the scars have definitely gotten smaller. I know because I've looked at my scars so much in the mirror for so many years that I know when I see smaller scars.

I can still see the scars and I am far from having smooth skin.. but there has been a definite and noticeable improvement. I got Fraxel done from an American Board certified plastic surgeon. I can't be sure 'that' made a difference but I believe that plastic surgeons know more of how to minimize scars and how to minimize complications and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I paid $1200 for 3 treatments and then $450 for each of the remaining 2 treatments.

Not sure if this topic is still active but I would like to share my results after 5 treatments of Fraxel Restore at the highest settings. The 5th treatment was 8 months ago. I am asian and I would say that I have medium asian skin color (not too light and not too dark but more light than dark)

I would say that I have various scars ranging from moderate to deep acne scars, the most noticeable scars are around my cheeks. Most are probably boxcar scars, but there are probably a few icepick scars. I don't know why other people say that Fraxel Restore is useless because I absolutely definitely see a noticeable improvement and I would absolutely recommend it. Hard to quantify % of improvement, but arguably, I would say at least a 50% improvement. However, improvement is not measured by scar size only. You also want to minimize people from noticing your scars and in that sense, I would say that it raises the % to 65% general improvement.

Perhaps it is the concept of diminishing returns... if your acne scars were very mild, then you will probably not benefit much from fraxel restore. If you are expecting Fraxel to give you perfectly smooth skin, then you will really be disappointed. For me, the scars were one problem but the permanent redness from the scars was another problem that compounded the problem and made the scars more noticeable. Fraxel Restore helped with both. Redness has been greatly reduced so my scars blend in more with my natural skin color and the size of the scars have definitely gotten smaller. I know because I've looked at my scars so much in the mirror for so many years that I know when I see smaller scars.

I can still see the scars and I am far from having smooth skin.. but there has been a definite and noticeable improvement. I got Fraxel done from an American Board certified plastic surgeon. I can't be sure 'that' made a difference but I believe that plastic surgeons know more of how to minimize scars and how to minimize complications and post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. I paid $1200 for 3 treatments and then $450 for each of the remaining 2 treatments.

Thanks for this post. My acne scarring is severe too, and im interested in undergoing this procedure. Is there any before/after picture that you could share with us?

Not true. You need more then one session of subcision to see results. I am up to my 5th session and my results are amazing. I guess it works for some and others it doesn't.