Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So is salycilic acid (sp?) bad for the skin?

I'm using Clean and Clear oil free deep cleansing foam wash, and it contains SA. Should I stop using it? I think it may be causing my acne to stay bad/get worse but I fear if I stop using it, it'll get even worse? sad.gif

I currently use this (in this order):

- Clean and Clear oil free deep cleansing foam wash

- Simple: Hydrating Light Moisturiser

- Quinoderm 5% BP

Only been on it a few days, no real noticable changes yet. So should I ditch the foam wash and go for something else?

Welcome to the boards!! Glad to see you're on the road to clear skin. O:)

Let's break down your regimen step by step.

Firstly, SA is fine - it is oil soluble, so it can get into the pore and exfoliate from inside, helping to clear blackheads. However, that oil wash that you're using is not very good. I've not heard good reviews about it. I'd ditch it right away. A good wash to use is Clear and Clear Blackhead clearing scrub, which you have to rub in VERY VERY VERY VERY gently. It has microbeads so too much rubbing will cause irration and, you guessed it, more acne. However, it contains SA which will help your skin. I assume since you're using Quinoderm you live in the UK, so go to Tescos and buy the scrub there.

Secondly, I know that a lot of people do this, but I would not put the moisturiser on before the Quinoderm. The moisturiser should be your third step. So, after washing your face with the scrub, wait 15 minutes and start applying the Quinoderm. As a long term user of Quinoderm, I can honestly say it is very effective, but I was using the 10% version. This version may be too much for your face though, so experiment with the 5% version before moving up. You must rub it in SO SO SO SO SO SO gently. I and others cannot stress this enough. You should rub it in so you can barely feel your fingers on your skin. This may take 15-20 minutes to rub it into your whole face, but it is worth it. If you rub hard, you increase irritation and, you guessed it again, more acne.

Now onto your moisturiser. Does the moisturiser say "non-comdogenic" on the back of it? If not, chuck it in the bin faster than the speed of light and go back to Tescos. I use an Olay moisturiser, but it's pretty expensive (dunno how much longer I can afford it for, lol), but I've heard good things about the Neutrogena Oil Free pore refining moisturiser. People who have used this may be able to offer advice on it. Again, same as the BP, rub VERY VERY VERY VERY gently until it is all absorbed. And wait 15 minutes after rubbing in the BP so it has time to sink in before you apply the moisturiser.

To summarise:

MORNING AND NIGHT

1. Clean and Clear Blackhead Clearing Scrub

2. WAIT 15 MINUTES

3. Quinoderm 5%

4. WAIT 15 MINUTES

5. Moisturiser

It is essential you follow the videos on this site to the letter, or you won't get clear. Watch them a few times, print off the instructions and take them into the bathroom with you. And good luck to you mate!

Wow, good reply =D>

Checking the ingredients here, this Simple: Hydrating Light Moisturister contains Paraffinum Liquidum (Mineral oil) and Borago Officinalis (Borage Seed Oil). I know it was suggested to use an oil free moisturister, the thing is this has been recommended to me by my doctor #-o

I'll change to the new blackhead scrub also. I hate changing products, just in case things get worse but looks like i'll have to make the change again ](*,)

Thanks!

Just to add, the moisturister contains Pro-Vitamin B5 and Vitamin E. It is also not perfumed and not coloured, and is dermatologically approved.

I am having very good results using Garnier synergie pure products with the Quinoderm 5%.

I wash with the facial scrub (probably very similar to the clean and clear blackhead clearing scrub. It has microbeads and contains salicylic acid and zinc.

I wait 15 mins then apply the Quinoderm.

Wait 5 mins then apply the Garnier synergie pure sebum control moisturiser (I have oily skin). It contains salicylic acid, clay, and zinc.

I have no "active" blemishes at the moment, and only about 2 or 3 red marks which are fading away!

The combo of salicylic acid and BP may be too much for some, but my skin can take it, and it's what works for me!

Could you people share where you get your supplies of Quinoderm please? I've not seen it for sale in any of my local shops :/

FOR SA FACE WASH JUST USE THIS

ACNISAL FACE WASH U CAN GET IT FROM UR GP.

OR FROM CHEMIST.

smile.gif ONLY FACE WASH REQUIRED

I'm using the c&c scrub but after 3 odd weeks my forehead is becoming rather scaly... i'm not being too harsh with the stuff so i'm quite worried, hopefully the rough skin will go soon ](*,) by the way i'm using neutrogena OTS and the eucerin hydroxy moisturiser.

Also, regarding the BP... has anyone tried Dan's gel? I ordered several tubes but I haven't got them yet, the post office have told me that I have to pay £12 to get my parcel sad.gif

It seems alot harder to get dans gel compared to going to Boots or Tesco and buying a BP cream. Tho Dans gel is prolly better in every way sad.gif

It seems alot harder to get dans gel compared to going to Boots or Tesco and buying a BP cream. Tho Dans gel is prolly better in every way  sad.gif