Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
joyful girl

drinking with mr. tane

so i know drinking is a no no, but for those of you who are on or who have been on accutane, did you drink? i'll ask the derm but wanted to hear any real life experiences. thanks!

Guest missyjean130

alcohol is bad mmkay? No seriously, it dehydrates your body and that's really bad when you're on tane.

Look in the accutane log section..you'll find plenty of experiences

im about a month and a half into 40mg of tane a day . and have drank on several weeekends with no problems at all . my advice is just dont push it too hard @ the start untill u no if ull have a reaction and be sure to re hydrate. but keep drinkin to a minimum

Dehydration is really not the issue with drinking on accutane - the issue is raising your liver enzymes to an unhealthy level, or worse, not having adequate enzymes to digest everything you're throwing into your body. Alcohol is processed by the same liver enzymes as accutane, so when most of them are being used to digest your daily dose of tane, and then all of a sudden you throw in a ton of alcohol, you create a bad situation. The good thing is your body is able to produce, to a reasonable extent, however many enzymes are needed. So basically, its OK to have a glass of wine or 2 on a daily basis, but what you don't want to do is not drink for 2 weeks and then go out and get smashed (something I did before I learned about the whole situation). Good luck and don't drink too much!

Well I am currently taking 60mgs a day of Claravis and I drink on the weekends. You just have to be careful and know your limits, if you drink too much you end up blacking out and in some cases vomitting and belive me it is no fun. My liver enzyme levels are fine even though I drink. I really think it depends on the individual my advice is to take it slow and if you do drink, drink some water as well. If I know I am going to drink I make sure to eat healthy that day and take my meds way before I start drinking. Once I start drinking I try to drink water as well and before I go to bed I drink lots and lots of water and take an ibuprofen so I dont' wake up with a killer headache cuz for whatever reason hangovers on ze tane suck!!!!

I found whenever I went out on a bender, like a 2/6 + 12 beers over five - six hours, I would break out and the side effects would lessen. Almost as if the alcohol was cleaning the Accutane out of my system or something? If you are going to drink I suggest taking some B Vitamins to help alleviate the hang over effects and be sure to drink as much water as you can before you pass out for the night.

I had a friend who fucked up his liver drinking on Accutane, at least in the short-term, drinking so much, he had like triglycerides spilling out of his liver into his other organs, something like that. That's what shows up on the blood tests.

His advice after that? Smoke pot instead.

I had a friend who fucked up his liver drinking on Accutane, at least in the short-term, drinking so much, he had like triglycerides spilling out of his liver into his other organs, something like that. That's what shows up on the blood tests.

His advice after that? Smoke pot instead.

Triglycerides spilling out of his liver into other organs? Is this a serious post? If so, it is perhaps the most physiologically ignorant sentence I have ever read.

To the original poster: I routinely took isotretinoin with alcohol. I am just fine and dandy, and will be fine and dandy.

thanks everyone! sounds like it's possible to still have fun on tane. the derm said its fine to have a drink or two, so i guess i'll just have to save it for those days i really wanna go out. i just can't imagine new orleans without drinking! sad? but oh so true.

The risk is it will put tremendous pressure on the livers ability, which is already at risk on accutane. But you have to do the monthly tests anyway, so to tell you the truth, I have a drink or two now and then, but im not going to push it!

Good luck! Party safe!

i drank on most weekends. didnt get super wasted but drank moderately. my blood tests were fine and my skin didnt react much except for one instance i broke out a little. for me it wasnt a problem maybe take it easy at first and see how you respond