Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tequila Mockingbird

Accutane Log: BRING ON THE 'TANE

I didn't think I would write an Accutane log. I read them a lot, mainly to psyche myself up for when I myself went on Accutane. I actually started Accutane on the 17th of July, so I'm already eleven days in, although it feels like eleven years.

I turn 17 in a week from now, and I've had acne since I was 14. Although I've had acne for three years I would say that I've only suffered from acne for the past six months or so. It never really bothered me to a huge degree, I would just go about the day doing my thang and I would just totally forget about it. My confident demeanor would mask my pimples and no one would really take much notice of it. I always thought a smiling person with acne looks a hell of a lot better then a frowning person with acne.

While it has gotten worse in the past six months the only thing that really has bothered me about my skin is the constant pain, whenever I talk, laugh or eat. So I went to see a dermatologist. I mentioned to him that I've put my name down to join the army next year and he shook his head and said "The army wont accept you with your severe case of acne". I was a bit put out that my acne was "severe", I wouldn't of even said it was moderate. It also turned out that this dermatologist was a self-declared expert on the Australian Defence Force and he told me that the only way I would get accepted into the army is if I had been treated with Accutane. I said I'd give it some thought and after some quick googling I discovered all these exciting side affects like severe depression, erectile dysfunction and rectal bleeding.

I've always enjoyed a challenge, and this Accutane challenge seemed to be of the ultimate variety, so I went back to the dermatologist and asked him to hit me up with some of that sweet nectar. That's when I started.

Day 1 - Day 10

The first few days I didn't really notice anything, excluding dry lips. This wasn't really the suicidal, balding and blood excreting roller coaster I had expected. On day five I had my first interview with the army. It consisted of an aptitude test and a chat with a career counselor.

I woke up the morning before the interview and looked in the mirror. Overnight my face had begun to ROT OFF. Dry skin, whiteheads, bloodshot eyes, I looked like someone had set my face on fire and then tried to put it out with a shovel. I tried to fix it up as much as I could with moisturizer but it just looked atrocious. I went to the interview anyways. I tried to smile, but everytime I did I could feel the pain in my face which therefore morphed my smile into a strained grimace. Well I aced my aptitude test, and no one said anything about my face (that looked like it had been in a fight with a cheese grater, and lost).

Over the next few days it got a little better, and I started feeling good. Maybe that was my initial breakout? Maybe it's smooth sailing from here on in? Well, I was very wrong.

Day 11

Today. My face has never been this bad. Whiteheads everywhere. Lips coated in dead skin. My muscles ached, I had a headache, my upper arms were covered in rashes and my eyes stung like a mother. I'm still waiting for the rectal beeding and erectile dysfunction though.

When I looked in the mirror I thought "Oh I've got to start a log going, this is just too bad to go through alone". For the first time ever I told my mother I was sick and unable to go to school, solely because my skin was so bad I couldn't face my friends, so to speak.

God I hope this is the worst it gets

Guest missyjean130

What products are you currently using?

Sorry it's rough right now, but hang it there! Keep your spirit up and time will move quickly!

And [email protected] grater joke. My dad once said I looked like my face caught on fire and someone tried to put it out with an ice pick.

I hate my dad btw :lol:

At the moment I'm using Cetaphil Facial Cleanser day and night, and in the mornings I moisturize with QV Face moisturizing day cream with SPF 30+, and at nights I moisturize with Cetaphil moisturizing cream.

I've tried every topical regime known to man, ranging from simple bar soap to the blood of thirty virgins.

Guest missyjean130

I used snail slime once :lol:

I actually am using a pretty nice moisturizer right now if yours isn't doing the trick-Eucerin Redness Releif night cream. It feels like thick pudding but is sooo soothing. Aquaphor is really good I'm always hearing as well.

I'm very happy knowing you're using spf! I think everyone should it,accutane or not *nods*

Day 12

I didn't plan on updating daily but you know when your skin sucks so bad you just have to write about it? It's pretty much the same as yesterday. Whitehead galore. Everything is really dry too, and all my skin is flaking off. I took another day off school today, but I'm really going to have to face the music tomorrow. All of the spots seems to be on top of the skin though, like I can't really feel any deep nested cysts, excluding one next to my nose.

What's the deal with exfoliating on Accutane? Is it kosher? I feel like I should because my skin is so flaky, but my skin is also sensitive like a nineteen year old literature student. I really just want to grab a baby brush and just go to town on my leper like face.

I ditched the cetaphil moisturiser, seemed to give me alot of whiteheads. I'm now using 100% aloe vera gel. Seems to take down the redness a little but isn't giving me any whitehead justice.

Guest missyjean130

I wipe down my face with an extra soft cotton ball really gently,while it's still wet from washing off my cleanser. It's pretty gentle...and I have really sensitive skin. People on tane have used baby brush with no harm either.

Just be rly gentle when you do it, and don't do it too much. You could also test a section of your face to see how harsh it will be for you.

Exfoliating with a babybrush felt good. I'm talking back-massage-by-a-naked-Vietnamese-girl smothered-in-baby-oil good. Skin looks a little better too.

Just as I was writing this I experienced a bit of vertigo. As much as I love vertigo (read: tripping balls) it was totally unexpected and I fell out of my chair. This is the second time this has happened in a week. Side effect?

Guest missyjean130

1. You sound like someone who is always "trippin' balls".jkjk

2. Never heard of that! I get really tired and rarely dizzy if that's what you mean though...

what are u eating?...

are u drinking a lot of water, and avoiding the sun? that might help your skin from flaking easily.

anyways good luck bro!

I'm drinking like a fish. The sun however... well I try to stay out of it but I love my sport, so I sometimes creep out from under my rock. I think I'll put up with the flakes if it means I can still kick a ball around and frolic in the daisies.

I'm not eating great. A lot of yogurt, a lot of mi goreng noodles. I once tried kicking out all the dairy in my diet, but it didn't really make a difference in my skin, so I don't hold back now. I'm also eating a fair bit of sushi. And little children

Guest missyjean130

Is Chocolate 'Tane a play on "chocolate rain"?

if so, are you an EDiot or does /b/ mean anything to you?

I too get vertigo spells well more like I am about to pass out and puke all over but usually it goes away within 5-10 minutes. I think it may be you are not drinking enough water? As far as you being flakey goes have you tried cetaphil moisturizer? The cream one works really good but I don't think it has an SPF so maybe use it at night only. Aquaphor works wonders as well. If I am flakey I put on some aquaphor over night and the next morning no more flakies. Good luck with your course and your avi is creepy!!!!