Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

Does Zinc Oxide help heal red marks faster?

Posted

I think that's what's in Desitin baby ointment, and yes I heard desitin will help fade red marks over time. It also says on the tube that it is good for first aid in minor cuts. Maybe just dab it on at night.

Posted

ok thanks

Guest Scorpioness
Posted

I used to use zinc oxide ointment as a spot treatment for zits. It works really well, and seemed to heal the redness quick. When I ran out, I didn't repurchase. At least I didn't for awhile. I find that I am loving the zinc oxide cream again, however. I know it protects against sun damage, helps heal burns and wounds, protects against oxidation, etc.

Right now, I am shedding like a snake from a TCA peel. I was using vaseline and my face was itching so bad, I started to scratch. I don't want to scratch and scar more, so I washed off the vaseline and applied some zinc oxide cream. This is a thick cream that contains mineral oil so it's moist enough to help the peeling skin come off faster. Since I applied the ointment, my face no longer itches and all kinds of dead skin is coming off on its own.

This really seems great after a TCA peel, though I don't recall anyone else using it as a post peel treatment.

Another thing, the vaseline was giving me major whiteheads. Usually the zinc oxide helps with breakouts, so this might be just what I need to keep those nasty little suckers under control for the duration of the peel.

This is my third day post peel by the way. I think applying vaseline the first two days is good, because zinc oxide has healing properties and the point of a TCA peel is to let the skin cells die until they start peeling off.

Guest Scorpioness
Posted

I wanted to give an update on my topical regimen, as I have not written up a detailed post in awhile.

First off all, my skin is dramatically more even toned, softer, and glowing/hydrated this past week than I can remember it being during all these years I've been working on my skin. The only real new thing I am doing (topically) is using zinc oxide cream every night.

The other semi- "new" addition to my regimen is that I am also using Retin -A again, but I've cut down to using it only a few times a week, an hour a day. When I use Retin-A, I apply the Super CP Serum on top of it. That's the only way the Super CP Serum doesn't break me out (occasionally I use the CP after a salicylic peel as well, and I don't break out if I do that either).

Otherwise I am still:

*Washing with PureDeming olive oil soap

Or

Clean and Clear blackhead clearing scrub when I feel I need a grittier, more exfoliating cleanse.

*Toning with diluted apple cider vinegar

Or

Diluted tea tree oil

During the day, I moisturize with NA-PCA and Kinerase lotion.

At night I apply the zinc oxide cream mixed with colostrum powder.

That's about it, topically. I still use the PureDeming Intense Gel if I am not using CPs within a day or two before or after. Sometimes I use manuka honey as a mask. I am not doing as many peels, due to Retin-A use.

Internally I am taking:

Kefir, Primal Defense (these may be the reason my skin is so much better lately also, because I started taking them a couple of weeks ago), olive, coconut, and grapeseed oils with food, fish oil (not every day), Emergen-C Lite with MSM, malic acid with magnesium, alpha lipoic acid, DMAE, digestive enzymes, and I drink lots of yerba mate (potent green tea).

I know all of the things I am doing is contributing to healthier skin. I have tried hundreds of supplements and topicals over the course of many years and I have only continued to use the stuff that makes a marked difference.

Posted

What exactly is the name of the cream that you use? Just zinc oxide cream?

Posted

how much zinc oxide do you need? I have an spf 30 with 3.00% zinc oxide, is this enough

Posted

ahhh it's 20% I only have 3% damnit probably won't do anything there goes 6 bucks mad.gif

Guest Scorpioness
Posted

Well, if it's an SPF 30 it's good for something. The zinc oxide cream I use wouldn't make a good daytime sunscreen anyway, it serves a different purpose, more of a healing one. I think it is way too thick and white to use during the day, unless you want to look conspicuous. wink.gif