Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fudgefly

Meals trigger oily skin?

Has anyone else noticed that when they eat cooked meals, especially carbohydrates of any kind their skin becomes instantly more oily? On days when I skip lunch because I'm too busy, I notice my skin is much drier throughout the afternoon, but as soon as I eat, within 20 minutes my oil production goes into overdrive for the rest of the day. This doesn't happen at all when I only eat raw fruit/veg.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

When you eat something that requires digestion, your pancreas releases insulin, this is anabolic hormone, with it other hormones are effected (such as testosterone) causing oil production in some people as it goes thru the blood and into glands.

One way around it, is to get better at handling insulin spikes, some people use G.I index. The best one is.. exercise.

Oh, yes. But it depends on the meal. I remember when I was in high school I would have very very oily skin right after lunch. So bad that when I blotted my chin with a napkin it soaked through the first layer. Unfortunately back then I ate all the junk the cafeteria served up - pizza, hamburgers, fries, "fruit cups", cheesy fries, you name it. Now that I eat healthier (fiber sources like cabbage or oatmeal or greens with every meal, no ridiculous amounts of sugar, less dairy) the problem is dramatically reduced. Now my face turns oily only after eating large amounts of something I shouldn't have. Yesterday I had a medium pizza with a large salad (important! fiber!), and no oiliness.

Oh, yes. But it depends on the meal. I remember when I was in high school I would have very very oily skin right after lunch. So bad that when I blotted my chin with a napkin it soaked through the first layer. Unfortunately back then I ate all the junk the cafeteria served up - pizza, hamburgers, fries, "fruit cups", cheesy fries, you name it. Now that I eat healthier (fiber sources like cabbage or oatmeal or greens with every meal, no ridiculous amounts of sugar, less dairy) the problem is dramatically reduced. Now my face turns oily only after eating large amounts of something I shouldn't have. Yesterday I had a medium pizza with a large salad (important! fiber!), and no oiliness.

I agree. I am a teacher and my school cafeteria serves mostly junk food. I dont get it. How are the kids ever going to learn to eat healthy if the school itself serves mostly junk food...

Pizza, fries, burgers, spagetti and meatballs, sugary drinks...this is usually the menu...

Carbohydrates > Insulin > Androgens > Oily skin

Insulin stimulates the ovaries to produce more androgens. Sebaceous tissue is androgen sensitive.

This is why so many people choose low-carb to clear their skin.

Instantly, no. In fact I eat those things now on occasion without a problem. But changing my diet from one that was high in such foods made my skin a lot less oily and cleared my skin.

omg now u mention it...I think it makes me get oily too

( just ate a big bowl of brown rice pasta with tomato and olive oil)

and it seems I have some oil coming out now

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

must...go..on..low..carb...diet...!!!!

Yes, and no.

When I eat a cooked meal, and a larger meal then normal, I do notice and slightb change in my skin oiliness..

And when I eat more raw, anlight I notice no change...and that is the way I like to keep it. ;)

omg now u mention it...I think it makes me get oily too

( just ate a big bowl of brown rice pasta with tomato and olive oil)

and it seems I have some oil coming out now

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

must...go..on..low..carb...diet...!!!!

OMG that sounds so good lol!! I live off carbs =-(

anyone wanna go on a 3 day fast and test this out? i can only make it 24 hours tops :)

* calculating my meals for carb *

I read this from a website

So what is 'low-carb'?

* The National Academy of Sciences recommends no less than 120 grams of carbs per day

* The recommended daily allowance (RDA) is 300 grams of carbs per 2000 calories (about 60% of total calories)

* Atkins initially recommends 20 grams per day (less than 5%)

* Protein Power recommends about 12-15% of calories should be carbs

* The Zone advises keeping carbs at 40% of total calories

god....the Atkin diet recommends 20g of carb per day...wth

the bowl of small qunioa that Im eating already has 37.5g in it x_x

I agree. I am a teacher and my school cafeteria serves mostly junk food. I dont get it. How are the kids ever going to learn to eat healthy if the school itself serves mostly junk food...

Pizza, fries, burgers, spagetti and meatballs, sugary drinks...this is usually the menu...

Yeah healthy foods - expensive , that's y school makes junks foods.

i guess that means junks food are alright to eat...

As long as u eat fruits/veggies with junks foods is fine i guess...

cause dang , every fast food are junks.

Yeah healthy foods - expensive , that's y school makes junks foods.

i guess that means junks food are alright to eat...

As long as u eat fruits/veggies with junks foods is fine i guess...

cause dang , every fast food are junks.

omg D:

it doesnt matter what u eat junk food with

the trans fat...the bad oil...the msg...all of them are still going in ur body

schools give out those junk food is because there's no immediate negative effect

and it costs way less

My face definitely gets oiler after eating and I believe it's related to our bodies not metabolizing mostly carbs/fat as efficiently as it could under optimal conditions. What causes these conditions is unknown to me (although I've read a number of theories).

This is why I think supplementing B5 worked for me in the past (I've just recently started taking it again, only this time along with a B-100 complex) as I believe I was not absorbing enough vitamins/minerals from the foods I was eating and this was causing me to become deficient. I suspect gluten sensitivity as a possible cause but I'm still unsure.

My skin is currently becoming less oily by the week, acne is finally fading on my back (big problem area) and I never wash my face, just rinse it with water in the mornings or when showering.

My face definitely gets oiler after eating and I believe it's related to our bodies not metabolizing mostly carbs/fat as efficiently as it could under optimal conditions. What causes these conditions is unknown to me (although I've read a number of theories).

This is why I think supplementing B5 worked for me in the past (I've just recently started taking it again, only this time along with a B-100 complex) as I believe I was not absorbing enough vitamins/minerals from the foods I was eating and this was causing me to become deficient. I suspect gluten sensitivity as a possible cause but I'm still unsure.

My skin is currently becoming less oily by the week, acne is finally fading on my back (big problem area) and I never wash my face, just rinse it with water in the mornings or when showering.

Overdosing a particular vitamin leads to imbalance of the others, a low carb diet is your BANKAI.