Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
theresasix

Oil-Free or Moisturizing with acne?

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this? I normally have combo skin with VERY oily t-zone, but lately I've been using a nightly prescription cream for acne. Although I am still oily (but not as much as I was) I have dry patches and some irritation from the medication. My question is this...should I still go with oil-free makeup since I do have a problem with blemishes or could I use something with a little oil in it to combat the dryness?

Is ALL oil bad for acne (well at least the oils in makeup)? I have heard different advice on this and am a little unsure about moisturizing makeup as I have never had to look into it before. Some say wheat germ and mineral oil should not really cause more blemishes. Where others say do not get anywhere near the stuff! I have tried to go by Sage cosmetic's good and bad list, but that is not helping either. As a matter of fact...one of their "good anti-acne" foundations is Prescriptive's oil-free. Yet I have used that for the past two years and have always broken out from it!

I appreciate your thoughts...thanks smile.gif

.  As a matter of fact...one of their \"good anti-acne\" foundations is Prescriptive's oil-free.  Yet I have used that for the past two years and have always broken out from it!  

Hey Anime....

You know I have been thinking that maybe sunscreen is the culprit (thanks to this forum). I've noticed that if I try anything with sunscreen in it...my face gets itchy and irritated immediately. I've always just taken it as a bad foundation for my skin and stopped using it. Not really thinking what it was specifically.

So you have tried moisturizing? I have been experimenting over the last couple of weeks with some and haven't had great results. My latest venture was with Versace that had wheat germ oil in it. Well, it's been two days and I am already seeing more break-outs than usual coming. I tried LM, but it just didn't look natural on my face...and I couldn't find a color match. The closest one turned out to be WAY too light. I want to try Teinte Idole, but I keep getting reps that are uneducated about their products. One rep told me that Idole had oil in it!

I am thinking about prescriptives custom blend very seriously though. I did like how the oil-free felt and it's coverage. I just didn't like the way my skin reacted and the way that it "broke-up" throughout the day. What are all the options that you can do with the custom blend?

They can do it oil-free, make it anywhere from sheer to full, add in a dewy finish, etc. I like it better than the regular oil-free, it does not "break up" on me like the regular, but I would not consider it my "grail" foundation. Most often I reach for Lancome or Mercier. I swear I have tried every foundation under the sun and have yet to find the "perfect" one.

I absolutely fell in love with Diorskin, it was smooth, the color was spot on, but I had the most horrible breakout EVER. sad.gif I hate it when that happens...lousy acne prone skin. #-o

Have you ever tried Mary Kay's foundations? I used them for awhile (good coverage and color), but something in them began to irritate my skin after about a month of using them (I tried the medium and full cover).

Have you ever tried Clinique's oil-free. I used it for awhile and then moved on, it was not a bad foundation, just didn't blow me away.

MAC's new Studio Stick is pretty good, but I mainly use it for touchups. I don't think I would get the kind of coverage I am looking for using it alone.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any ?'s.

~Misty

Anime,

Thanks for all your help! I have tried Mary Kay, but had an allergic reaction to it. I have also tried Clinique's clarifying foundation, but it made me break out BADLY! I haven't summoned up enough courage to try any other kinds from them. I would like to because Clinique's color match was almost dead on but...don't know if that's enough.

I have also tried almost every foundation under the sun. For the past 2 months all I've been doing is looking for my own HG. I think I've got about 20 samples in my bathroom and not one of them works. I guess I could try one more time to get a sample of Teinte Idole (ugh I don't know why these women won't give me a sample of this stuff). I haven't tried Yves Saint Laurent yet...or Estee Lauder. I think those are about the only ones.

The ones I have tried are Chanel, Versace, Elizabeth Arden, Clarins, Dior (liked Diorskin as well, but not enough coverage), LM, Shiseido, Lancome photogenic and macquicontrole, Makeup Forever, Vincent Longo, and MAC. All within 2 months! CRAZY....and very frustrating.

hi,

have you tried minerals makeup for the oily places. It makes dry skin look drier but maybe you could use a liquid on those spots. I used Bare Escentuals for over a year and really liked it. I stopped using it cause I wanted to try out liquid foundations just for fun. I'm currently using Teint Idole and I do like it but I still use Bare Escentuals a few times a week. It's so easy and fast to put on. Lancome also came up with a new foundation called Color ID and they have just about every color you can imagine and you can customize your formula. I think it's a little less expensive than Prescriptive's custom blend. I bought Lancome's powder today but it's too dark for me even though the sales lady picked it. I hope I can return it even though I already tried it on. I hate sales people. Good Luck!!!