Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ruby102

Needling PAIN??!

Hi all,

so I've finally settled on doing skin needling (via tattoo gun) at a PS office! It's TOMORROW morning and I'm getting anxious!! The doc gave me a BUNCH of prescriptions for pain! (norco, xanax, valium) Is this NECCESSARY?! I mean, its basically the same as needling at a tattoo parlor, and I don't think they make u take all those meds do they? The nurse said he might be doing some lidocaine injections or something in my face to numb it but patients have always also taken some xanax and valium before the procedure, but that would require that I have someone drive me home which I do not have, so I'm just going to take a crap shoot with that and maybe take some norco if I need it when I get home! But I'm scared now! What was your experience w/ the pain!!? Help!

It is pretty painfull and im guessing they will be going pretty agressively by the sounds of things. Dr Chu recommends a 50mg diclofenac before the procedure, which is alot safer than all those things you listed. I would of thought the lidocane injections by themselves would be enough...

Guest delta force operators

u should give self needling a try.... for some reason,,,correct me if im wrong,,, but doesnt all the pain medicine interfer with the skins healing abilities????

but i can take the pain,,,i mean im a MAN.

Haha thanks for the replies guys,

I just got back from the office! OMG....I thought this forum would give me a pretty good idea of what would happen, but NO, I never imagined I would look like this right now! Here's what the doctor did:

1. Show up 45 mins before your scheduled appt, and you're pre-opped by a nurse.

2. After filling misc paper work, she made me circle the treated areas on my face w/ a marker.

3. Made me take a keflex capsule and a norco-tablet w water

then she applied a thick layer of numbing cream all over my face AND the inside of my cheeks and gums! (It's called a dental block)

4. Then the doctor comes in, and proceeds to fill a SPINAL syringe w/ lidocaine. (if u don't know how those look like, they're long, 25-guage (THICK!) needles intended for intraspinal injections. OMG..at this point, I am SCARED. I think I can freakin see through the hole of the syringe, they're that thick.

5. He first injects a facial nerve in each cheek through my gums inside my mouth! Holy $XXX! Think a long needle, going through your front teeth gums diagonally reaching up to the inside of your cheek by your temples!!! He repeated this again on the other side.

6. then he reloaded his syringe and injects the back of each cheek from inside my mouth, my forehead, both temples, and then he injects almost EACH ONE of my scars individually, I was probably injected 15-20 times total.

-needless to say this was the most painful part of the procedure!!! almost EVERY needle stick was a sharp pain that I have never felt before. The dental block was a lifesaver when he injected through my gums, but as he did the outside of my face...it was real bad, and I reflexively started to cry as he did each injection, thank goodness the nurse was right beside to wipe the tears welling inside my eyes. FYI, I think I have pretty good pain tolerance, but this was hard and you just can't help but get emotional. He said overall I was a trooper given I had not taken any xanax or valium. Now I understand the purpose of the xanax + valium- it was not for the procedure itself but for the lidocaine injections!!!

7. Then he ran the gun through each of my scarred areas like 3-4 times and it was a piece of cake. There was no pain, my face was well numb and swollen at this point. Then he gunned the rest of my face even the unscarred areas another 3-4 times because he said this was neccessary to "blend" the surrounding skin w/ the scarred areas??? I don't know if that was a good thing.

There was bleeding, right now my skin looks like it went through a dermabrasion or something because it looks pretty raw and swollen. It's at the "oozing" stage right now where there are random drops of puss/blood dripping out. Basically, I look pretty scary and I had to drive myself home looking like a freak w/ vaseline soaked bandages wrapped all over my face. The nurse who gave me the norco messed up b/c I was not supposed to take it since I did not have a driver afterwards, so after the procedure, when the norco kicked in- I felt dizzy, tired, and so nauseous! She made me drink like 3 cups of water and eat crackers to try to flush the norco outta my system but the drug made me soo nauseous that I puked like 5 times, getting all the norco, water, crackers, and my morning yogurt out of my system. It was horrible!!! But luckily that meant that I could leave since I puked all the drug out. I hate norco....

I pray that I do not bruise from all those injections!! I'll update my progress for you guys.

I had mild scars coming in and do u guys think that the doc over-treated and over-medicated me??? Is it normal to needle good areas as well as scarred areas to "blend in"???? Frankly I don't think the lidocaine injections were neccessary. What do u think??

The nurse who gave me the norco messed up b/c I was not supposed to take it since I did not have a driver afterwards, so after the procedure, when the norco kicked in- I felt dizzy, tired, and so nauseous! She made me drink like 3 cups of water and eat crackers to try to flush the norco outta my system but the drug made me soo nauseous that I puked like 5 times, getting all the norco, water, crackers, and my morning yogurt out of my system. It was horrible!!! But luckily that meant that I could leave since I puked all the drug out. I hate norco....

I pray that I do not bruise from all those injections!! I'll update my progress for you guys.

I had mild scars coming in and do u guys think that the doc over-treated and over-medicated me??? Is it normal to needle good areas as well as scarred areas to "blend in"???? Frankly I don't think the lidocaine injections were neccessary. What do u think??

I'm surprised you didn't take more drugs and arrange for a taxi ride - congrats on withstanding the pain. That's messed up that the nurse screwed up in giving you norco which caused you to puke so much. That was so stupid of her - you need nourishment and nutrients to heal efficiently. Hopefully you ate / are eating well now.

I personally can't tell if the doc over-treated you, but I think that would be really odd unless this was the doc's first time performing the procedure. I don't think it's normal to needle good areas where the skin is fine, though, unless it's a long-run favor (stimulating the collagen remodeling there would likely hasten the eventual onset of wrinkling).

And I don't see why the doc would over-medicate you unless it was only to help make sure you felt less pain. I mean, did you have to pay extra for all the pain-killing drugs? I certainly hope the doc was not motivated by greed.

well, I had to pay separately out of pocket to fill the drugs of course and bring them to the appointment, so I guess in terms of the procedure, he didn't charge me extra I don't think. Right now, I'm still oozing, and my face feels sore and a mild burning sensation, like a bad sunburn. Don't know what to make of it. I definitely have mixed feelings right now since I look so bad. i have to re-apply aquaphor every 3 hours or so and I can't shower until tomorrow. Has anyone experienced a similar recovery experience w/ needling??? Why do I feel like mine looks worse than normal??

:::::::bump::::::::::

Day1 progress:

Face still red similar to yesterday with less oozing in individual scars. Looks like very little difference from yesterday! Recovery feels like eternity right now!! I'm starting to get worried that I will not recover by Monday when I go back to work!! Any words of reassurance from some1 who has done it?? :cry:

i had it done but unless the lady that did it to me isn't as advanced or something, my experience was different. i went in, she put a topical numbing cream and left it for about 30 mins and then used the tattoo gun on pitted scars and when they started bleeding she stopped and went on to the next one, no oozing and not that much pain. i had red marks for the next 4-5 days

ALLOW me to re-assure you that u're gonna be just fine !!

My experience was similar; I was so swollen that I looked like a chipmunk :D

U're oozing 'cause the doctor went at it quite agressively and deep; that's probably a good thing and if u're scars weren't that deep to begin with, u have a great head start and perhaps u won't need more treatments ... time will tell ....

Wishing u all the VERY best ... eat well OK ??

Lots fruits and veggies and especially PROTEIN for healing :)

Cheers :D

Thankyou lexisa42!!!!! You don't know how much I needed that!! Today, I just washed my face and changed my ointment and it seems to be looking a bit better!! My face still looks marbled red and my scars are barely oozing anymore I don't think. But I'm beginning to see small islands of normal color skin through the red!! :dance: I agree with you, I feel like the doctor really did go aggressively with me, and I now think that while he did the lidocaine injections to each scar, I think he subcised them at the same time b/c I remember there was some twisting of the needle as he went in. Hence, each my my scars look extra red and bruised right now. They were also the only spots that oozed during the healing process. With diet, I'm taking 1000mg of vitamin C daily and trying to eat as healthy as I can- (protein is hard to come by when you're a student!)

ALLOW me to re-assure you that u're gonna be just fine !!

My experience was similar; I was so swollen that I looked like a chipmunk :D

U're oozing 'cause the doctor went at it quite agressively and deep; that's probably a good thing and if u're scars weren't that deep to begin with, u have a great head start and perhaps u won't need more treatments ... time will tell ....

Wishing u all the VERY best ... eat well OK ??

Lots fruits and veggies and especially PROTEIN for healing :)

Cheers :D

day 3 progress:

Looks like I'm nowhere near the back to work stage yet! :cry: Hiding at home is a B#$%H! soo boring...plus the doctor gave me a laundry list of food I can't eat for healing. Some of these things seem a bit ridiculous if u ask me....apples, cherries, garlic, ginger, tomatos, etc etc. Basically knocks out most of the foods I eat! I don't care- I have been snacking on cherries anyways, hope this doesnt make me bruise more or something.

Face is still reddish- now more on the pinkish side. The most prominent change though is that my face has gotten itichier. So annoying, I hope this means I'm scabbing! The islands of normal colored skin has gotten a bit larger but my individual scars still looks dark red and bruised. Work on tuesday is also questionable, don't think I'll be ready yet. At this rate, I predict my downtime may be a full 7 days plus maybe another week for the bruises to completely heal. I still note some slight swelling on one side of my face. GAHHHH, I want to scratch my face off, it's so itchy!!

All in all...I still look like a burn victim that got beat up afterwards. Pretty, huh? Till next time!

Cheers.

xanax and valium aren't really painkillers, they're tranquilizers/anti-anxiety meds, probably for all that anxiousness you're having ;) I haven't a clue what norco is though.

Anyhow, good look with the procedure!! hope you get some good results buddy.

thanks KuroDesu!

Day 4: Today, I'm feeling a bit annoyed/impatient! SOMEBODY TELL ME WHAT I'M DOING WRONG!?!?! I have my post-op appt tomorrow and I do NOT see ANY improvement from yesterday...I look frikkin the same!!! Redness, bruises, needled areas feel rough to the touch, ARGHHHH! Nothing is going away fast enough....what in the world was everybody else talking about when they said they were perfectly ok by day5?!?!?! Day5 is tomorrow for me and there is NO wayyy I'll be okay at all by tomorrow. This is NOT what I signed up for!!!! Do I just have f'ed up healing abilities or what??! I'm in my early 20s, I do not smoke or drink, and I do not eat that much junk- I eat generally well, I'm re-applying aquaphor to my face 2-3 times a day, I'm avoiding the sun like the plague, I'm taking 500mg vitamin C twice daily. I just don't know what to do!! The nurse suggested that I take some xanax for my anxiety. But I'm more just aggravated than anxious cuz I have an event I must attend this weekend that I must look okay for!!! Excuse all my B***HING. Good day to all.

xanax and valium aren't really painkillers, they're tranquilizers/anti-anxiety meds, probably for all that anxiousness you're having ;) I haven't a clue what norco is though.

Anyhow, good look with the procedure!! hope you get some good results buddy.

Day 5:

Face still itchy..its quite irritating. Patches of red-bumps along t-zone on forehead between eyes and a few lone ones on both cheek. Can someone tell me if they are whiteheads?? Face is now peeling revealing patches of fresh pink skin underneath. What can be done if the bumps are whiteheads??? I'm still supposed to apply aquaphor on those areas and it's probably congesting my pores in those areas??? Can I apply benzaclin or something in the meanwhile as well??? Bruised rings around my eyes where lidocaine injections were are finally de-swelling and gradually lightening up. Still not picture perfect yet and odd looking like I scraped random patches of my face with the rest of the skin looking dark around it. Hoping things will tone down by day 7. Can someone give me some advice on the small red bumps meanwhile???? They're kinda in the middle of areas that are still healing.

i really am no professional but seen as the red bumps are in the middle of places still healing, i really think you should leave it alone for a while since your skin is still healing :) Good luck with everything! Update us on how the needling recovery process is going!

Hi Ruby,

Regarding the bumps it's hard to say. First of all, ask yourself if they will scar if you don't do something about them. If they won't, then I would certainly not do anything that would disturb the healing areas. If you think they might scar, then I would probably try to prevent them or extract them somehow. But that's just me and everyone's skin is different.

Regarding the downtime, my experience was that it was about 8 days. At that point, you will still have to wait a while for the redness to fade, but if you're female you could probably put some make up on and look presentable. Personally, I wouldn't do the procedure unless I had at least 10 or 11 days to hide.

It sounds to me like the doc was nice and thorough. In my experience, that's a very good thing. My guess is that you're going to be very happy with the results. What type of scarring did you have by the way? Best of luck :)

It's been 2 weeks and 5 days:

Small islands of pink marks are all still present. Each of the scars on my face are surrounded by an island of pink, slightly different textured skin. The discoloration still shows under the bare essentials + concealer makeup I use so coverage is not seamless. I still have a small raised line on my left lower eyelid skin where the doctor tattooed over. Doesn't seem to go away. It's slightly pinkish too so it may be discoloration but may also be a permanent scar where there was none before. :cry: The very mild scars I had on my temples seem to look pretty smooth still- so those may be some permanent improvement but it's still red, so overall, I still look bad. The 2 moderate-depth scars I had look completely like they did before except they're also surrounded by a larger pink area now so they look worse. Also, when I press these scars, the skin feels hard, like theres a lump underneath it, I'm not sure what that is. I started using differin again in hopes to improve the pigmentation. Still not completely healed by any means, it still looks like I have ways to go for the pigmentation to decrease. Sigh. I'm not sure why I'm healing so poorly from needling compared to the other posters here.

Jonah: I had 15 mild to moderate boxcar scars on my forehead, temples, and cheeks. 90% of them were mild.

Hi Ruby,

Regarding the bumps it's hard to say. First of all, ask yourself if they will scar if you don't do something about them. If they won't, then I would certainly not do anything that would disturb the healing areas. If you think they might scar, then I would probably try to prevent them or extract them somehow. But that's just me and everyone's skin is different.

Regarding the downtime, my experience was that it was about 8 days. At that point, you will still have to wait a while for the redness to fade, but if you're female you could probably put some make up on and look presentable. Personally, I wouldn't do the procedure unless I had at least 10 or 11 days to hide.

It sounds to me like the doc was nice and thorough. In my experience, that's a very good thing. My guess is that you're going to be very happy with the results. What type of scarring did you have by the way? Best of luck :)