Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
My experience

Stopping Proactiv

Hi, I have been using proactiv for about 10 months and its not really helping with my skin, I stil get really bad breakouts so I wanna stop using it but im afraid that ill break out really bad.

Does anyone have any advice. I wanna start using Cetaphil again.

Should I wean myself off proactiv like only use it in the morning and cetaphil at night.... then only every second day etc till im off it?

Please Help???

I went from using Proactiv for 1.5 months to the regimen for nine weeks. I had to stop doing the regimen recently because I'm pregnant and neither my derm or Ob want me to use BP at this time. It's only been two days, but no nasty break-outs yet. OF course, I do have some different things going on with me hormonally right now. Anyway, if I was you, I'd use the Cetaphil cleanser and moisturizer with the BP from your Proactiv kit as outlined in Dan's regimen. I found his methods and regimen much better and tolerable than Proactiv. If you really want to quit the BP altogether, start with the full BP and then wean down. Just a suggestion. You could always quit cold turkey as well.

You shouldnt of started with proactive (well in my opinion) ive heard most people who stop get really bad breakouts an proactive doesnt really stop you acne it mostly controls it.

Once I decided to move on to a different regimen and off Proactiv, I decided to stop using Proactiv immediately. I never slowly took it out of my daily face regimen. That was a mistake. Now, I have pustules and papules, while before (when I was using Proactiv) I only had a few whiteheads and blackheads. I advise that you slowly "wean" off using Proactiv and start using Cetaphil little by little. Maybe use Proactiv in the morning, Cetaphil at night. I would do that for a week, then start using Cetaphil both morning and night.

Good luck to you :)

2 years ago when I had a horrendous breakout, proactiv was my life saving product.. and then just 3 months ago when I stopped, I started breaking out worse than ever so I started using ti again. It's been 2 months and my skin is getting worse and worse. I'm getting acne on places I never used to have and its so frustrating. But my question is if I stop now and start using the regimen will it work?

Yeah the same thing happened to me!! I used it for a little over a year- i used it 5 months before i started seeing nice results- then about 4 months after that.. it started coming back, but not badly- so i got off, and BAM it gets worse and worse.. i've been off almost 7 months and it's still horrible!! :( So YES i would "wean" yourself off!!

Yeah the same thing happened to me!! I used it for a little over a year- i used it 5 months before i started seeing nice results- then about 4 months after that.. it started coming back, but not badly- so i got off, and BAM it gets worse and worse.. i've been off almost 7 months and it's still horrible!! :( So YES i would "wean" yourself off!!

I agree with this. The exact same thing happened to me. I used Proactiv for awhile and at first it was great. My skin had never been clearer. Then it started making my skin really tough and gave me a million blackheads. I decided to stop, which I did really abruptly and my skin broke out like mad. So if I were you, I'd definitely stop slowly and carefully. Hope everything works out :)

Well, I want to give a little on my acne history. This may be long, but please read. I want some help.

I've had acne since the fifth or sixth grade (I'll be a sophomore in high school Monday). It never became a problem until my seventh grade year. For both seventh and eighth grade, I had moderate breakouts which never cleared. This is when I was using things from the drugstore.

Then, over the summer of 2007, I got put on Retin-A (tretinoin) 0.1%. I don't remember if I had an initial breakout (I had pretty moderate acne anyway). Anyway, I mostly had some not really mild, but not what I call moderate forehead acne and the occasional zit below my nose or above my lip. My friends even noticed my clearer skin during freshman year. Then in late March of this year, I was looking for a way to get rid of the blackheads on my nose (Retin-A did nothing for them for me, despite other people's results). I found out about someone who rubbed olive oil VIGOUROUSLY for 30 minutes straight each night. I did this for about a week and had a forehead breakout. I decided to use some leftover Proactiv in the closet to clear it up.

Well, the first month on Proactiv was okay. I saw clearing, but noting dramatic. Then, at the start of the second month, I mixed Denorex shampoo (3% salicylic acid) in with the cleanser and a Clean & Clear 0.5% salicylic acid with the lotion. I did that for a month-and-a-half. I saw big improvement. There was just a handful of zits on each side of my forehead. However, the last two weeks of my Proactiv regimen, I broke out. The second week was when I got my period. :wall: I should've known it was my hormones. I was steaming every night and using spot treatment for the zits, which most likely irritated my skin.

Later, I heard about the "water only" regimen. This is where you use nothing but mineral water on your face. The first two days, my skin was oily. The third day, it was fine. The fourth day, I broke out with twice as many zits as I had before any over 20 whiteheads. I stuck with this for two weeks. Ten days after that, I used a Clean & Clear kit which only made it worse. Then I used AcneFree for six days. On the sixth night, I decided to test Proactiv on my problem areas, It was amazing how much dead, dry skin I got off. It was in clumps and there was enough to fill the sink stopper! Now, I've been using Proactiv since either Monday or Tuesday. (Which day? :think:)

Anyway, my breakouts are clearing, but I have these annoying, red post-acne marks. I'm afraid they'll scar. <_< My dad says they won't, but he's 68. It's been awhile since he's had acne. I'm 15 and have school soon! (He had me late in life.) I'm currently using Neutrogena Rapid Clear 2-in-1 Fight & Fade Get on my red marks. There's around 50 on my face. Most are on my forehead.

Bottom Line: Retin-A was probably the best for me, but I won't be going on it any time soon. I'm sticking with Proactiv. It's the best non-prescription topical treatment for me. I quit because of redness on my nose, cheeks, and forehead. I figured out the other day it's most likely rosacea, and Proactiv didn't cause it. (Oh, how dumb of me!) If Proactiv stops working after a couple of years like people say it does, it's the Dan Kern Regimen for me!

Does anyone know what can fade the red, post-acne marks fast? Also, does anyone have any suggestions? Acne is a bitch.