Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaley

How has acne changed you?

Not only is acne depressing for me, but knowing that I'm a whole other person because of my acne. I'll never be the person I was before. I've always been one to stand up for myself, but since acne I've become more stubborn in my beliefs and actually an angry person at times. I never really gave too much thought on how I looked. I never really cared for talking about people behind their backs, but now I secretly enjoy it, knowing that they aren't perfect. I'll avoid certain things that I would have never avoided before acne. Anyways, I'm just a bit depressed because I found out my younger sister hates me [i read her e-mails, distracting myself from my face]. She'd sent a bunch of things to her friends, some were lies, others were the truth. Not necessarily bad qualities, but ones that I can go over the top on. It's depressing, knowing that I sometimes dislike some of the things that she does, but at the end of the day I still love her. It's just troubling to think to myself, the question going through my mind, am i that bad?

anyways, if I am, I must deserve acne.

I fully admit that acne has changed me in many ways. However the person i am now, is a FAR better person than I was before. Not that i was in many ways a bad person before, but now things that im very proud of have gotten their chance to shine for everyone to see.

I used to be relatively good looking (so i've been told), and had enough to charm to never really have to exert myself for the ladies. However besides a pretty face I had nothing that defined me. Acne forced me to evolve, to develop some depth to my personality. It's also filled me with compassion for my fellow men and women. Also I've found a humbleness that not only makes life easier, and simpler (not caring about how i look, and how other people see me is very liberating), but also gives me something that i can truly respect about myself. Something that i can stand back and really admire.

Theres a more in depth version of what im saying here in my Log (link in my sig), if you're interested in my philosophy :)

I went from mild, to moderate, to severe (hormonal) acne, but now I'm almost 100% clear. Acne has taken me through a range of emotions, feelings, and personality changes, but I like the person who am I now...way more than the person I was before. I know we've had some "do you pray about your acne" posts and people dismissed God, prayer, faith, etc... but that is seriously what got me through the roughest times. I prayed and formed a relationship with the God that I believe in and that did wonders for me. I stopped having a pity party for myself and started to frequent the gym, go to church and be active participant, read my Bible, and I enrolled in graduate school and started working on my MBA. I also got more serious about finding a remedy for my acne and started to utilize this site as well as a dermatologist and a beautician. I hated my acne, but I would not change that journey for the world. Right now I am physically, mentally, and spiritually stronger than I ever was before. I don't know what type of person I would be if not for the 'curse' of acne.

Because of acne i've become more sympathetic, less concerned about another persons look, less confident in myself even though my skin is fine now, and a bit more introvert.

It has definitely changed me in so many ways. When I first started getting acne at age 11, I blamed it all on God. I was always miserable. I was a 'bad girl', doing eat-and-run's at restaurants with my friends (you know..where you eat and then don't pay..etc), stealing, skipping school like crazy until finally I was put in homeschooling. You get the picture. But some years later I realized that God had nothing to do with it. It was all me. He gave me the gift of life and free will, the rest is up to me. I straightened out completely by age 17 (I'm 22 by the way), I'm very close with God now, he understands me. I've become a much better person. When I see someone unfortunate, I feel for them. Where as in my younger years I'd either look at that person with disgust or I'd make fun of them. I help people in need, I give more. I'm not selfish. I love making people happy and giving them everything I can to keep them smiling. I don't get as jealous as I used to, of my clear-skinned friends and family. The only negative thing acne has caused me is a lot of anxiety, something I have to work on. Oh..and I don't have a huge ego anymore! I don't buy a car to show it off to everyone or buy the new brand jeans just to impress some guy or my friends. I don't do that anymore.

But now that it's made me a better person, I wish the acne would just magically disappear. I have to say that it's better than in the past and I get more and more ideas of how I can treat it, where as before I'd just sit in a corner and cry and blame it on someone else. It's definitely changed the way I look at life!

Because of acne i've become more sympathetic, less concerned about another persons look, less confident in myself even though my skin is fine now, and a bit more introvert.

Yup.

Nice thread, interesting to read other peoples reactions to acne in themselves.

I personally went through an angry stage and just retreated from the world, I was only annoyed with myself, though it warded people off me just by being like that. Distanced myself from family and became very depressed (which I am still prone to accasionally). On the other hand I learned a lot about myself and what people think of you when your reclusive and ignorant (shy). I know that life is too short to sit around and wait for acne to disappear you have to face the world and look into peoples eyes when they speak to you or you will be branded shifty and wierd. You have to speak up for yourself, be young, be foolish but be happy as the Tams said. Its alright being introvert but life can and will pass you by if you dont take it. I could use a confidence boost right now, maybe just a glance from a girl while shopping or whatever would do it but before acne I didnt need that, I didnt even care about my appearance that way. Thats something I'm working on overcoming.

I wouldnt worry about your sister hating you by the way, my brother has always disliked me and I dislike him sometimes but we are just different people that way, I dont think il ever fall out with him indefinitley.

idk, i still have the same strong willed personality that won't settle for less when it comes to people, especially guys. although i'm very self-conscious as always,

I used to think at various times that acne had made me both a better and a worse person.

Now I'm not so sure. Looking back it iseems I'm no different than who I was, just... less.

I feel like I've faded. The colors in my life have been washed out. They are still faintly visible, you just have to look harder to see them.

I had a shitty personality until I was 19, then my acne got 10x worse and my personality 150x better. Because of acne, I don't give a fuck about what people think of me, I never let things get to me and I'm mentally stronger than most people I know.

I used to always make fun of people with acne and stuff. But now i feel terrible for what i did and i deserve the acne i have. Now i understand what others go through and people saying things about you talking behind your back and stuff. Acne made me a better person in a way because im nicer to other people and dont pay attention their appearence, but more of their personality/.

Acne has changed me so instead of looking at a person's eyes or their hair, the first thing I see is their skin!! -_-

And I'm overly self-conscious... depressed... and I don't like meeting or hanging out w/ people any more

Right now, because of acne I've become a hermit, I don't see other people, I just stay in my room. I don't like it, but maybe this is just a stage I'm going trough, I do still have faith that inside I am the same person. I am the same person, but right now I'm just going through some difficult times.

well.. its hard to remember a time when i didn't have it.. as it came on very early.. but now that ive had it i see myself as non-judgmental and more serious. its kind of sad because i cant even really smile anymore when good things happen.. its honestly all just the same to me.. all a blur in a way.

i also don't go out in public anymore if i know i'll run into people from school and so forth. I just covered up my skin every day before school. would wake up at 6 am.. it would take hours to cover everything in order to appear "normal looking". if i made a mistake i would have to re-do the whole thing.. and get to school late. i even got kicked out of my high school for latenesses. so yeah.. im a pretty serious person now.. i still love to make jokes.. but inside everything is pretty empty. ive turned down so many opportunity and so many relationships due to acne.. that its all pretty much meaningless to me now, as much as i try and pretend theres a reason for me to go on...

its all taken a toll. i don't know anymore..

Well lets see I got acne when I was about 13 and just about to enter high school I think Acne definitely lowered my self esteem. I have always been a bit shy (not outlandishly outgoing like my younger brother) and the acne kind of strengthened that trait.

For the most part I think Im kind of the same person I was before I mean... in the middle years I had severe acne which made me depressed but it didnt stop me from doing things that I wanted to do with my friends. Acne has definitely made me look at people in a different light and not just always judge on the spot (like it's so easy to do). And I wonder sometimes how it would be different if I didnt get it.

But I like my life and I would be missing out if I didnt have the friends I have now and if I had potentially been friends with other people.

I dont know.. I just like how things turned out in the long run for me, and I wouldnt want to change it for the world. Other than maybe getting one of my bestfriends to move back to this town so we can go for sushi more often!

Acne has changed me so instead of looking at a person's eyes or their hair, the first thing I see is their skin!! -_-

And I'm overly self-conscious... depressed... and I don't like meeting or hanging out w/ people any more

My acne has made me a hell of a lot more resilient. I feel like there is no real challenge that life can throw at me that I wouldn't be able to handle due to the past three years of moderate to severe acne. All my friends are stressing out because of our final exams that are coming up and I'm the total opposite, if I was anymore relaxed I would be asleep. Acne makes you harden up pretty fast, because if you're not a strong person and have bad acne, you wont last.

I went from a quiet kid who never spoke up and was always "nice". Then once I cleared I became that asshole and never took shit from anyone again. But this was more than fixing skin. It was skin, weight, attitude, etc. But in general, it's just made me a worse person really, lol because all the people that made fun of me, I make fun of them now.

i feel the worst when i think about how i can't even remember what it's like to be clear.

i've had acne for more years in my life than years i've been clear.

I was 80% mental but is 100%.....

Acne didn't really hit me in bad way as I been threw load of things when I was younger like my parents not taking good care of me and I would get hurt badly when I'm out, get a scar on my body head etc... I sometime get the feeling that I'm just cursed and I'm better of dead even tho I still have faith after all! Been around narrow minded people for most of my life has made a big impact on me and now I suffer from depression. Also starting to feel more stubborn as I get older (Im 19 now) yes young and why am I not enjoying life is what u asking?! Well the way I feel is very different and nearly cant be explained is like I got no goal's because I think once you start of with wrong fuel you will have problems on the way and that is what happening to me! I dont want to continue anymore maybe I quit.....

Acne makes you more subservient to people who are much more inferior, also this affliction transforms the most exuberant into social misfits. Or it doesn't change you at all. maybe