Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
automattox

*sigh* 1 month in and still no improvement at all

I didn't expect my skin to be flawless by now, but I thought it would at least begin to improve. Honestly I think it looks worse than when I started. My nose, forehead, and chin are completely clear but my cheeks are near severe. Last friday I got three nodules and I think even a cyst, which I have never had ever before starting the regimen. My cheeks are also covered in some papules and pastules and tons of red marks and just look absolutely terrible. I can't look in the mirror without just breaking down, I look worse than ever. I don't know what to do.. is this regimen even going to work for me? should I even bother to continue with it or should I look for something else?

I didn't expect my skin to be flawless by now, but I thought it would at least begin to improve. Honestly I think it looks worse than when I started. My nose, forehead, and chin are completely clear but my cheeks are near severe. Last friday I got three nodules and I think even a cyst, which I have never had ever before starting the regimen. My cheeks are also covered in some papules and pastules and tons of red marks and just look absolutely terrible. I can't look in the mirror without just breaking down, I look worse than ever. I don't know what to do.. is this regimen even going to work for me? should I even bother to continue with it or should I look for something else?

It took be 3 months to get completely clear. Then I went insane and stopped the regimen. My acne was where it began. Hopefully, it will subside soon. I have mild/moderate, with only whiteheads on the forehead and temple area.

How much of the bp are you using? I went through a time where I thought I was on the all clear so used hardly any but then had breakouts after a while, but didn't understand what was going on. Just recently been using two pumps of the stuff and my skin is clearing loads. Also, at the beginning I made the mistake of not following the regimen closely enough, there's a page somewhere about it, Biggest Mistakes which lists all the things you might be doing wrong if it's not working.

If not, how about looking at the Nutrition section and maybe trying a supplement or something? I've started taking Vitamin E supplements and my skin is reacting nicely.

Hope the regimen finally works for you!

Right now I'm using at least two pumps morning and night, sometimes I use two and a half pumps. I'm also taking 50mg zinc every day, I don't drink any milk because I hate the stuff, and I tend to stay away from dairy in general. The only thing that I can think of that would've caused me to break out is that I used Bare Minerals a few weeks ago, and I wore it all day.

As someone mentioned above, it can take up to 3 months (sometimes more for some people) until they finally respond to the regimen, so if I were you I'd hang in there. I know that when I reached the 1 month mark my skin was still adjusting to the new routine. If you can, (I know how difficult it can be to keep going when you're not seeing results, esp. with something as time-consuming as this regimen) give it another solid 2 months before deciding to abort. You may thank yourself for doing so! Best of luck to you.

Right now I'm using at least two pumps morning and night, sometimes I use two and a half pumps. I'm also taking 50mg zinc every day, I don't drink any milk because I hate the stuff, and I tend to stay away from dairy in general. The only thing that I can think of that would've caused me to break out is that I used Bare Minerals a few weeks ago, and I wore it all day.

Don't use Bare Minerals (BM)!!! The foundation contains a synthetic substance called bismuth oxychloride that can irritate the skin. BM works fine for my friends with normal skin, but it shouldn't be used on acne prone skin - even if the marketing people say its ok. Do your research online and see what you find. I used BM for the past month and noticed my skin wasn't getting better. Just last week, I stopped using BM makeup and my skin has been doing much better. BM has mica and bismuth that can make your skin oily. It doesn't look good. Instead, I switched back to my old make up brand, Prescritpives. I use the Virtual Matte Oli-Control Pressed Powder and the Total Protection concealer. Both products are non-acnegenic.

Just to be aware, the pressed powder I use contains talc, but I haven't had a problem with it before. the powder also contains salicylic acid and you can build the powder to medium coverage if you need to.

FYI - When I went to the BM store to buy my foundation, so of the sales ladies had acne on their face as well. I don't know if the acne is because of the make up, or if they are using the make up because they believe its better for their already acne-prone skin. Either way, my suggestion is to stay away from BM makeup. After I stopped using it, my face didn't feel so irritated / itchy.

I'm having the exact same result! I've been using Dan's regimen for a little over a month and lately I've been breaking out like crazy around the temple area and my forehead, areas which I never really broke out before. The zits are huge and painful, and there are so many of them that I'm trying really hard to hide the side of my face =(

Help!

I've been on it for nine weeks and just started to turn a corner. Now I have to stop because I'm pregnant and my derm and Ob are advising me to discontinue it. :rolleyes: If you can stick with it for another month and a half or so, you may get the results you're hoping for.

Wow that's a lot of zinc

Well I started taking it because I have a very weak immune system, so I was constantly getting sick. haha then I found out it helps with acne =D

Don't use Bare Minerals (BM)!!! The foundation contains a synthetic substance called bismuth oxychloride that can irritate the skin. BM works fine for my friends with normal skin, but it shouldn't be used on acne prone skin - even if the marketing people say its ok. Do your research online and see what you find. I used BM for the past month and noticed my skin wasn't getting better. Just last week, I stopped using BM makeup and my skin has been doing much better. BM has mica and bismuth that can make your skin oily. It doesn't look good. Instead, I switched back to my old make up brand, Prescritpives. I use the Virtual Matte Oli-Control Pressed Powder and the Total Protection concealer. Both products are non-acnegenic.

Just to be aware, the pressed powder I use contains talc, but I haven't had a problem with it before. the powder also contains salicylic acid and you can build the powder to medium coverage if you need to.

I only used BM once a few weeks ago before I found out it was causing alot of people to break out, and I haven't used it since. But I used alot that one day and wore it from like 9am-8:30pm.

I'm having the exact same result! I've been using Dan's regimen for a little over a month and lately I've been breaking out like crazy around the temple area and my forehead, areas which I never really broke out before. The zits are huge and painful, and there are so many of them that I'm trying really hard to hide the side of my face =(

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one but that's no good. Hopefully it starts to get better for both of us! I just ordered the AHA+ so I'm hoping that will help me a bit

I've been on it for nine weeks and just started to turn a corner. Now I have to stop because I'm pregnant and my derm and Ob are advising me to discontinue it. If you can stick with it for another month and a half or so, you may get the results you're hoping for.

Aww, that sucks! How severe was your acne? And is your doc giving you any alternatives? Well, I guess just look on the bright side, you're gonna have a baby! =D

if benziol peroxide doesn't work for the first 2 weeks then is not going to work at all

and it will cause you more irritation, red marks and that's not fun at all.

edit: is not like bP will get rid of your acne in 2 weeks, but what I mean is that if in 2 weeks you see no improvements but it makes it worse. then discontinue it.

if benziol peroxide doesn't work for the first 2 weeks then is not going to work at all

edit: is not like bP will get rid of your acne in 2 weeks, but what I mean is that if in 2 weeks you see no improvements but it makes it worse. then discontinue it.

I'm not sure about that. Isn't it supposed to get worse within the first few weeks while all the stuff is coming to the surface?

I've been on it for nine weeks and just started to turn a corner. Now I have to stop because I'm pregnant and my derm and Ob are advising me to discontinue it. If you can stick with it for another month and a half or so, you may get the results you're hoping for.

Aww, that sucks! How severe was your acne? And is your doc giving you any alternatives? Well, I guess just look on the bright side, you're gonna have a baby! =D

I'd say that my acne is moderate. I called the derm and went back on topical erythromycin and Finacea. It doesn't do a whole lot for me, but it is better than nothing, I suppose. I'm still drinking ACV in my water daily, though. If my skin gets really bad, I may look into going back onto the regimen after I'm done with the first trimester, but it may not be necessary since my hormones weren't as acne-producing when I was pregnant the first time around. :dance:

Not true. I didn't see the slightest improvement with my acne on DKR for the first 3 months. I almost gave up after 2 months, but thanks to the encouragement from people here I stuck with it, and about 3 months in my skin started clearing up. By month 4 it was dramatically improved, and after 5 months about 95% clear of inflammatory acne.

Some people's skin just takes time to adjust to a new regimen. Every derm I've had has said to give a new topical about 12 weeks to take effect.

i can't contribute cuz i gave up the dkr after one week. my skin didn't take bp too well. :shifty:

anyway, i just wanted to say you look HOTTTT girl! cheer up!

i can't contribute cuz i gave up the dkr after one week. my skin didn't take bp too well. :shifty:

Yeah true but with bad skin it's so hard to have confidence in yourself. I used to have amazing skin, then when I got acne girls woudn't even look at me twice!

Anyway I just recently got back on the regimen (4 days ago) and already my skin is improving. :cool:

I tried the regimen before for 2 months but I was using all the wrong products. Just saying this because exactly the same thing happened to me: my forehead, nose and chin got completely clear but my cheeks looked worse than ever! So you're not the only one with this problem. Anyway i'm hoping this time it will work for me, I'm now using all dans products and AHA+ at night.

My advice to you is to stay on the regimen and maybe put most of the bp on your cheeks, then at night add some AHA+ on there too. Hope it works out for you ;)

Have you tried incorporating jojoba oil into the regimen? Also, perhaps you are using TOO much BP for your skin to handle right now and it's reacting angrily. Do you have any dryness?? I see you're using the AHA, I too have tried the AHA but it is still too intense for me right now - maybe your skin is reacting to that? I would try to cut that out since it is very intense for skin that is still broken out badly...Stick with it - it WILL pay off!!

haha well that picture was taken in May before my acne got worse. I think I'm kinda pretty under all the blemishes, but when my skin look like this I just feel hidious

Anyway I just recently got back on the regimen (4 days ago) and already my skin is improving.

I tried the regimen before for 2 months but I was using all the wrong products. Just saying this because exactly the same thing happened to me: my forehead, nose and chin got completely clear but my cheeks looked worse than ever! So you're not the only one with this problem. Anyway i'm hoping this time it will work for me, I'm now using all dans products and AHA+ at night.

My advice to you is to stay on the regimen and maybe put most of the bp on your cheeks, then at night add some AHA+ on there too. Hope it works out for you ;)

Hmm well it's good to know I'm not the only one. I do use most of the BP on my cheeks since I don't really need it that much anywhere else, I almost never break out anywhere else.

Have you tried incorporating jojoba oil into the regimen? Also, perhaps you are using TOO much BP for your skin to handle right now and it's reacting angrily. Do you have any dryness?? I see you're using the AHA, I too have tried the AHA but it is still too intense for me right now - maybe your skin is reacting to that? I would try to cut that out since it is very intense for skin that is still broken out badly...Stick with it - it WILL pay off!!

I considered using jojoba oil but I just don't have that kind of money. Hmm.. I don't think I'm using too much BP, my skin isn't really that dry anymore. And I just recently started using the AHA, which my skin seems to tolerate very well and it seems like it's been helping a bit. I actually apply it twice a day and my skin doesn't seem to be having any adverse effects.

so, if you're not using too much bp then i would say something might be up with your application process and gentleness. sounds like your skin is tough, so while incorrect product application might not irritate it, at the same time it won't improve it. my skin is sensitive, so if i rub things in too much or don't wait for the bp to adequately dry and then shift it around with the moisturizer, my skin will react adversely, and of course not improve, no matter how much bp i'm using.

here's my take, if you're interested... my fingers feel like they're barely touching my face (which is still kind of weird to me and makes me restless, but still), and i NEVER use large sweeping, gliding, or circular movements. even with the cleanser i just use enough to cover my face and roll it around enough to get everything moist and mobile and then splash it off with lukewarm/almost room temperature water, still baaaarely touching my face. then with one finger, for precision, i apply dan's bp in tiny circular movements at first, to get it spread, and then i use tiny gliding almost tapping movements to apply it in layers so that it dries faster. i don't put the whole dose on at once, because it takes even longer than forever. i turn each side of my face up into the light to make sure i see a reflection of the gel sitting on top of my skin, but blended enough that you can't see any residue. then i wash my hands (btw, make sure you wash your hands before everything, even before cleansing), wait just a little longer for it to dry, and then i put the moisturizer on in much the same way. one finger, but this time pressing it in in small amounts, so there's no shifting of the bp underneath. i do that until my face feels comfortable and then go! really doesn't take that long once you get used to it.

hmm I think you're on to something. My skin actually isn't tough at all, it's very very sensitive. I don't know why it doesn't react horribly to the AHA because it reacts badly to everything else, even Everyday Minerals. I know that I don't apply the cleanser, BP, moisterizer, or even the AHA as gently as I should but I didn't think it would really make that much of a difference how gentle I was. I just do it kinda of quick pressing down a bit and moving in fast circular motions. I'm going to start doing it your way now, hopefully that will make a big difference! Thanks! =D

i hope so too! expect that in the beginning it might take about 25-30min to accomplish, just cleansing, bp-ing and moisturizing. you have to slow yourself down a lot to get your hands into better habits and stay focused so you don't daydream your way out of it (okay, so maybe you're not a daydreamer like me, but just in case ). oh and make sure to use enough moisturizer to keep the flakes down, because if you're anything like me and you see flakes... i swear it's hard enough resisting the urge to pick without also resisting the urge to scrape your face off. good luck!

p.s. feel free to let me know how it goes or if you have any trouble or confusion.

haha ohhh yeah I'm a huge daydreamer, that's my biggest problem because it causes me to be so much more rough with my skin. 25-30 minutes isn't so bad as long as I don't have to be anywhere early in the morning or something, I mean if it clears my skin then it's definetly worth it! Yeah, my skin does start to flake too and then I always start scratching it off... that's probably really bad for my skin too huh? but I feel like the flakes are going to clog pores or something. but I guess what do I know, I haven't had acne for that long. luckily I've never had that habit of picking active spots though, I never understood why people do that. O.o yeah but anyway I just went out and bought some of that Olay Complete for Sensitive Skin stuff, and it's waaaay expensive for a part-time Starbucks employee but hopefully that will make some improvement too. I have to get my yearbook photo taken on the 21st so I really need to clear up fast!

oh so thank you for all the help! I'll add you as a friend if I can figure out how, I'm gonna need you for the next few months haha =D

that's so awesome you don't like to pick! it's like smoking; don't ever start. i've been thinking about trying that oil of olay stuff too, but i know what you mean about expensive. i can't even begin to count everything i've spent over the years trying to balance my skin. thank gosh we're not on antibiotics right haha.

haha yeah I knew before I got acne that you're not supposed to pick so I just never started. Yeah I really like this olay stuff, it's got zinc oxide in it which is supposed to help with acne and calm the skin. I might be crazy but I think it's been helping with red marks too. =D But it's like $9 and $11 total where I live because California has such high taxes. Haha oh my goodness I know, I've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars just on products that never worked. I spent so much money on Dan's regimen too so it better start working! I'm going to wait until the end of the month before I go on Tazorac, which I know will work but the side effects are just really bad.

automattox are you still planning on quiting at the end of the month? id really strongly suggest giving it the full three months, you're this far in, you're through the worst bits where your skin is bright red and painful and flakey, so why quit now? i know waiting that extra month is so difficult but you'll never know whether dans regimen could have worked for you if you quit now, there are countless people who didnt see results until 3 months in. and after about 3 months of bp use unless you have super sensitive skin you wont have any side effects like on tazorac, ive been using bp for about 4 years and only when its very cold do i get flaking or dryness. the rest of the time you i wouldnt even know id put it on my face.

anyway its up to you but i think it would be a waster to quit at week 8!

It took me about 3-4 months to start seeing an improvement. The first year or so I was tweeking my regimine changing moisturisers and cleansers to get the right "fit" for me. It took me a year to get the regimine you see in my sig that has me consistantly around 95% or better clear. Right now I have 5 zits, two very tiny on my chin that are almost gone and two on my forhead and one large one my forehead. But compared to the too many to count daily disaster my face was two years ago..... persistance is worth it. It could be that you need to change your cleanser or moisuturiser rather than alter the BP usage. Also I'm not sure what "ice skin" is in your routine.... a product? or putting ice on your skin?

automattox are you still planning on quiting at the end of the month? id really strongly suggest giving it the full three months, you're this far in, you're through the worst bits where your skin is bright red and painful and flakey, so why quit now? i know waiting that extra month is so difficult but you'll never know whether dans regimen could have worked for you if you quit now, there are countless people who didnt see results until 3 months in. and after about 3 months of bp use unless you have super sensitive skin you wont have any side effects like on tazorac, ive been using bp for about 4 years and only when its very cold do i get flaking or dryness. the rest of the time you i wouldnt even know id put it on my face.

Well, the thing is that I wanted my skin to be clear at school this year so I wouldn't have to go through all the humiliation. If I started taz at the end of the month I would be starting it as soon as school starts, so my skin would be clear three months in. But it I keep with the Regimen another month and it continues to not really do anything for me, then my skin will be even worse than it was last year and I can't even IMAGINE the things these certain cruel girls will say to me and what other people will say about me when I'm not around. I just had alot more hope for this regimen than I'm seeing, and it's making me very discouraged. I'm spending so much time and money for nothing. It made my acne worse with the IB and never got better. I just don't know that it's ever going to work for me, I keep getting new acne so how is it ever supposed to clear?

It took me about 3-4 months to start seeing an improvement. The first year or so I was tweeking my regimine changing moisturisers and cleansers to get the right "fit" for me. It took me a year to get the regimine you see in my sig that has me consistantly around 95% or better clear. Right now I have 5 zits, two very tiny on my chin that are almost gone and two on my forhead and one large one my forehead. But compared to the too many to count daily disaster my face was two years ago..... persistance is worth it. It could be that you need to change your cleanser or moisuturiser rather than alter the BP usage. Also I'm not sure what "ice skin" is in your routine.... a product? or putting ice on your skin?

I just switched moisterizers to Olay Complete which has been helping a bit with red marks and seems to hydrate alot better than the others I tried. Oh and "ice skin" is just using ice on lesions for about 2-3 minutes, Dan suggested it before applying AHA to help clear lesions faster