Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Iliad

Fasting before a blood test

People mention every once in a while that they fast the day they have their blood tests. I've been wondering what the reason is. Is it necessary?

I have a derm app on Wednesday for the first time and I've got a scrip for 'tane. My app isn't till 3:00 in the afternoon though so I don't know if I want to go all day without food. Ideas?

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I've searched the web and the forums and can't find the answer.

depending on what tests he orders for you. Being tane cholesterol will most likely be ordered. cholesterol needs to be done fasted as it gives the most accurate results there is really no point if you havent fasted as it wont be at all acurate, same with you glucose level. you need to have been fasted about 12hrs for these tests, so it might be easier for you if you fast after dinner the day you see your derm and have you blood tests the next morning before any breakfast. these test have a quick turn around time so it wont delay you getting your tane.

hope this helps

ruby

That's great advice assuming I can get back in the next day for blood tests right away.

I always schedule my appointments for first thing in the morning when they open at 8am so I can make sure that my blood test will be most accurate since I haven't eaten anything since dinner the night before.

I always schedule my appointments for first thing in the morning when they open at 8am so I can make sure that my blood test will be most accurate since I haven't eaten anything since dinner the night before.

Me, too! Only once, I scheduled it for the afternoon and by the time I got there I was STARVING. Never again.

Iliad, fasting really makes a difference. The derm is checking for your triglyceride count. ANYTHING you eat or drink (aside from a small bit of water) raises the levels. If your levels are high, you won't get prescribed Accutane for the next month.

Just want to say that I've never fasted before the blood test and all my blood tests came in normal. Although I've heard not fasting will affect the palette count and cholesterol test.

It's usually a good idea to fast for at least 8 hours I think before the blood test, best if you wait 12 hours after eating.

Stop eating the night before around 9PM and schedule the blood test for 9AM in the morning and you're set :)

I fasted the first time before my blood test. This time, I told my Dr I was starving and he told me I didn't need to fast. He said if my tests come back with anything unusual, he would make me take them again fasting, but until that happened, I was good to eat!