Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maincajm

Mandelic Acid...I am taking the plunge!

After reading so much on MA, decided to start a fresh post (so I don't have to dig any more for info!).

As of Friday I started mandelic acid, the Vivant sample, for my (THANKFULLY!) only issue, clogged pores mainly in the T-zone. I have a lot of peeling on my nose (the crease), and when I first put it on it burns my nose (but no where else...and it quickly dissapates). I have waited the recommended 30 minutes prior to moisturizing. I need advice from you pros:

1) is the burning okay? How long should I expect it?

2) I have the desire to over-moisturize my nose, but should I avoid it altogether (the majority of my clogged pores are on the sides of my nose)? I am using Cetaphil.

3) I am baby brushing in the shower with Dan's wash...should I also scrub with something else?

4) I got a sample of a MA wash as well...but should I double dose, the wash and then the MA directly?

5) I have ordered Dan's jojoba oil...how should I use this with MA?

Thank you in advance....I am looking forward to CLEAR skin! HATE the blackheads....

After reading so much on MA, decided to start a fresh post (so I don't have to dig any more for info!).

As of Friday I started mandelic acid, the Vivant sample, for my (THANKFULLY!) only issue, clogged pores mainly in the T-zone. I have a lot of peeling on my nose (the crease), and when I first put it on it burns my nose (but no where else...and it quickly dissapates). I have waited the recommended 30 minutes prior to moisturizing. I need advice from you pros:

1) is the burning okay? How long should I expect it?

2) I have the desire to over-moisturize my nose, but should I avoid it altogether (the majority of my clogged pores are on the sides of my nose)? I am using Cetaphil.

3) I am baby brushing in the shower with Dan's wash...should I also scrub with something else?

4) I got a sample of a MA wash as well...but should I double dose, the wash and then the MA directly?

5) I have ordered Dan's jojoba oil...how should I use this with MA?

Thank you in advance....I am looking forward to CLEAR skin! HATE the blackheads....

I have used Mandelic Acid serum from Vivant for quite a while so I know some things about it.

1) The burning is okay and after a couple of times applying the serum you probably won't notice it anymore.

2) The Mandelic Acid is pretty strong(15% Mandelic + 2% percent lactic acid) and therefore it will most likely make your skin peel the first couple of days/weeks. I would continue moisturising.

3) The baby hair brush can be used by itself. I have tried it using a cleanser at the same time, but if you want to use a cleanser you should use it after exfoliating with the hairbrush.

4) what MA wash it that? Is it the one from Vivant? If it is you can use it without problem since it only has 1% percent Mandelic Acid in it. If it's a cleanser with a high percentage of MA I would avoid it and rather use a non medicated cleanser.

5) I would stop using Cetaphil and only use Jojoba Oil as a moisturizer. However that's just my own opinion based on the fact that Jojoba Oil is 100% natural, is moisturising enough and is very likable.

If I were you I would do it this way:

1) Use the Baby hair brush gently in the shower to remove dead skin

2) Cleanse with Dan's cleanser or Vivant Mandelic Acid cleanser

3) Wait until the skin is dry and apply Mandelic Acid serum

4) Wait half an hour and apply Jojoba Oil

Good luck, Mandelic Acid is great

Thanks White Fox. I will try the baby brush exfoliating...why not! And I will stick with the burn; it doesn't last long, just a tad intense. I am anxiously awaiting my jojoba oil, sounds like great stuff.

One more thing...I feel like I work hard to simplify what is on my face, then add sunscreen (I like in SoCal, always sunny) which undoubtably clogs the pores back up. Do you have one you have had good luck with...so many say "non-clog" but seem to clog anyway. Thank you again!

Thanks White Fox. I will try the baby brush exfoliating...why not! And I will stick with the burn; it doesn't last long, just a tad intense. I am anxiously awaiting my jojoba oil, sounds like great stuff.

One more thing...I feel like I work hard to simplify what is on my face, then add sunscreen (I like in SoCal, always sunny) which undoubtably clogs the pores back up. Do you have one you have had good luck with...so many say "non-clog" but seem to clog anyway. Thank you again!

If you have to use sunscreen i would go for something that is 100% percent natural. F.ex you got UV Natural Adult SPF 15 or 30 Sunscreen. Just apply very little to the areas where you need it

If I were you I would do it this way:

1) Use the Baby hair brush gently in the shower to remove dead skin

2) Cleanse with Dan's cleanser or Vivant Mandelic Acid cleanser

3) Wait until the skin is dry and apply Mandelic Acid serum

4) Wait half an hour and apply Jojoba Oil

Yikes...how long will I peel? What is there LEFT to peel? I try hard not to scratch as it itches.... The jojobo feels very good, but is shiny. Am I trying to use too much at once? Is this a moisturizer I can use various timed during the day...maybe on my itchiest spots...thus I can use unless at my initial moisturizing? I admit, I am fearful of an oil, I completely expect it to fill those pores up.

Thank you...I will keep trudging, albeit, peeling, along....

So I have been doing the MA for 2 weeks now. I had to reduce to once a day in order to halt the peeling. I LOVE jojoba oil, but do feel it is a tad greasy to put on and then head to work. But my skin feels good. Yet...I have high expectations and I don't see these blackheads disappearing.

What should I expect to see and in what timeframe???