Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, it's been nearly two weeks without my (now) beloved Proactiv. I quit because it made my face red. I used Proactiv for about 2 and a half months before quitting. I read about others who had success with a "water only" regimen. Well, I've got a little over 30 zits and whiteheads. I only had half as many (small) zits before and no whiteheads.

I used Proactiv for the first month with limited results. The second month, I mixed Denorex (3 % salicylic acid) and a Clean & Clear moisturiser with 0.5% salicylic acid. My skin wasn't clearer, but it was a huge improvement from several months earlier. (People even noticed!) I quit because I wasn't completely clear. However, I did notice around the time I got my half-as-many-before forehead breakout, I nuked my face with Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque every night for a week. I also steamed every night for a week. Maybe, this made the breakout stick around... Irritation, maybe? :think:

I was given Mupirocin 2% (seven day use) to use for my existing blemishes. (Any experiences?) So, I read AcneFree was better for many more than Proactiv was. I was wondering maybe to try AcneFree once this Mupirocin is over with. Or, should I stick with Proactiv? I'll still mix my Denorex with the cleanser either way, since it seems to be effective. Also, is it true that when you use benzoyl peroxide, it cancels out other acne meds? It doesn't seem like it here, but I've heard that. If not, I'll start using one of the 3-piece kits right away. I'm also interested in Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Control Kit. What do you all think? :razz:

Bp does not cancel the effects of other acne meds, that's only the case with retinols. As for what you should use, I would continue bp, yes it makes your face red but it is the most effective over the counter acne treatment available. If you are planning on switching to acnefree be aware that it has 3.7% bp in the lotion vs. the 2.5% of proactiv. I would stick to what you know works for now and then maybe see a derm? You can try adding a moisturizer or cutting to once a day to decrease redness. And make sure to wear a sunscreen in the morning.

Does anyone know what might have caused that minor breakout then? It pissed me off, but quitting is seriously when all hell broke loose. My period was the past few days, so that's not it, is it? It was the week before the week before...

I read the ingredients to both (AcneFree and Proactiv). They're all pretty much the same, some are in different order. I'll probably start AcneFree as soon as I go to my mom's. Does anyone know if birth control works well for keeping breakouts at bay?

I really want to try the Clean & Clear kit. It's got 10% benzoyl peroxide. I used it once, and my skin was soft and looked clean (except for the zits :rolleyes: ). I'm afraid of an initial breakout though. This shit is bad enough! :evil:

When you quit using an ingredient that you face has become accustomed to using, you face will react by breaking out very badly. It is totally normal-it even happened to me. BUT there's really no way to get rid of it...you can either wait it out or start using bp again.

The EXACT same thing happened to me. I was really tired of using Proactiv due to the high costs and the redness, as well. In fact, the redness was so bad that some family members thought I went skiing (with the skin around my eyes being normal thinking I was wearing goggles). I was relatively clear while on Proactiv, except for a few whiteheads.

I decided to stop Proactiv and switch to AcneFree. That was a very bad idea! When i was using AcneFree, I broke out SO bad. I'm not sure if it was because I stopped Proactive or if it was the AcneFree causing the breakoug. Maybe both? :think: Regardless, I am now getting papules, pustules, and a hoard of whiteheads (though I'm sure all the products I've been using to treat these might be to blame). If I would've known what was to come, I NEVER would've quit Proactiv, or at least stop Proactiv gradually so my skin would be use to not having it.

Last night I decided to just wash my face with Paula's Choice cleanser and use emu oil for moisturizer morning and night. I'm hoping my face won't breakout any longer :)

The EXACT same thing happened to me. I was really tired of using Proactiv due to the high costs and the redness, as well. In fact, the redness was so bad that some family members thought I went skiing (with the skin around my eyes being normal thinking I was wearing goggles). I was relatively clear while on Proactiv, except for a few whiteheads.

I decided to stop Proactiv and switch to AcneFree. That was a very bad idea! When i was using AcneFree, I broke out SO bad. I'm not sure if it was because I stopped Proactive or if it was the AcneFree causing the breakoug. Maybe both? :think: Regardless, I am now getting papules, pustules, and a hoard of whiteheads (though I'm sure all the products I've been using to treat these might be to blame). If I would've known what was to come, I NEVER would've quit Proactiv, or at least stop Proactiv gradually so my skin would be use to not having it.

Last night I decided to just wash my face with Paula's Choice cleanser and use emu oil for moisturizer morning and night. I'm hoping my face won't breakout any longer :)

Well, I've got so many zits, mostly on my forehead and above both sides of my chin. I'm very pissed. I'm 15, and my school seems to have clearer skin than I do. Plus, it's starting in three weeks. :shock: I really want to try the Clean & Clear kit, but I wonder if anyone who's tried it had bad results. Yeah, I had redness too. One girl asked me if I went to the tanning bed because of it! :redface: I'm so lost now...

I used Proactiv a long time ago, but it irritated my skin and made it red so I stopped. I used Acne Free but it was too harsh also. For a while I used nothing but cleanser and my skin was the clearest it had been, but I still used to get a few breakouts here and there so I thought I'd try Murad which was the worst out of all of them it made me break out even more! The only one I haven't tried is the clean and clear. I've used Clean and Clear products in the past and they were the only ones that didn't irritate my skin at all so that might work for you. I don't know if I would mix it with other meds though. Im 22 and I've had acne since I was like 14, and in my experience I've noticed sometimes the less you use the better your skin gets, but then sometimes my skin breaks out randomly, its a terrible cylce.

As for birth control I have seen people get great results while they're on it. You would have to talk to your doctor to see if the type of acne you get would get improved by it. My friend has really bad acne and she went on it and her skin is awesome now, like perfect!

Hi there,

Just letting you know that my danger time for breakouts is actually in the middle of my cycle (ovulation) and not when I get my period - we are all different but I have noticed a few people mention this too.

Not that I believe it is responsible in this case - obviously coming off the proactive (which contains BP) has been largely to blame. Maybe you should have weaned off it, or tried to do proactiv every second day or something.

Man, I really hope you find something that works for you,

Good Luck!

That happened to me too!! But that was about 6 or 7 months ago!! It's STILL horrible... i haven't stayed with anything else for long enough maybe? It's just gotten worse & worse. After a lot of research, apparently proactiv does something to your skin so as to make it break out a lot worse than even before.. maybe it's so that you'll keep using it? Or it could have to do with what someone above me said about your face getting used to an ingredient.. I stopped proactiv after about a year because my face was dry so my makeup looked gross all the time (i wouldn't have worn any if it were clear.. but after the summer, i started get a few zits.. sometimes just one though) Since i've stopped, i've read all this stuff about how it burns your skin (BP) and prematurely ages you!! It's terrible. My sister started using the gentle formula, which supposedly works just as well (hers seems a little worse lately though)- it doesn't have any BP.. it's all SA based!! Which i don't know how good that is for you in the long run, though. I'm using Face Doctor Soap right now, it seems a little better, even though i'm still in my "purging" stage.. i've been using it for 2 weeks. Some have no purging and it clears in days, and some have it for a week or two.. i'm thinking i may for 2 months or something!! It's BAD- anyway... i would make sure and do allottt of research before you just start trying tons of different products for a couple of weeks each like i did!! sorry i wrote so much lol

i stopped using proactiv in Jan.. i used it for a month! and my skin was red as fuck! i was madd.. and didnt go to school for like a month! :0 :)...:( but my doc gave me the antibiotic tetracycline and my acne went away for a while.. but then i finished my capsules and my medical expired... and so now im using tretinoin 0.1% cream and my skin feels soo much smoother but it peels... but it works!

I have leftover tretinoin 0.1%, and I like it, but I'm afraid of the initial breakout. Isn't it one of those things where it gets worse before it gets better? Anyway, I used the Clean & Clear kit with 10% benzoyl peroxide today (mixed with Denorex, of course). I'll use it and see how it goes... I'd rather be red-faced than have zits, though. :shifty: I guess it took me some time to realise that. Oh well. Acne is just part of life for many people. I had a dream last night my skin was clear (and thought it was reality until I woke up :mad: ). I'll keep my mind off of it and not dwell over it. That seems to make it worse. My acne's not moderately severe, just moderate. I wish this shit on no one, not even my worst enemy. One day, maybe there will be a cure or affordable vaccine or shot or something so nobody will have to suffer this mess. Who knows? One of us may be the one to come up with it. :angel:

I suggest trying Niacinamide pads available on Amazon.com. There are several research articles touting efficacy of topical Niacinamide in treatment of acne.

I was on Proactiv for about 2 years and did relatively well. My biggest problem is the hormonal cystic acne that came every month and most topicals don't help with those. I just started Accutane 4 days ago, so hopefully that will herlp. At one point, I tried the AcneFree Kit trying to save some money and I did not like it AT ALL! In fact, after having a terrible reaction to it I ran out and bought my Proactiv within the first 3 weeks--spending more money over all AND dealing with the breakout. Also, I didn't feel it cleaned my skin as well.

To help with the dryness, Proactiv makes a nice oil-free moisterizer that can help. I never really had problems with the redness after the first 2-3 months of using Proactiv.

As far as birth control, I know there are some that claim to help. I tried YAZ and it did work some for me.

Good luck!

I took a chance and tried the Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Control Kit. It's got a cleanser, moisturiser, and spot treatment. I'll update to let you guys know how it's going. I use a Purpose moisturiser with SPF 15 on top of that. I feel like it won't be enough, though. :think: Does anyone know of a non-comedogenic sunscreen for your face?

34yearsyoung - That sucks to hear about that. I've heard many people rave about AcneFree over Proactiv, but only a few who prefer Proactiv to AcneFree. Proactiv has grits in the cleanser, AcneFree doesn't. AcneFree's lotion has time-released benzoyl peroxide (works 24 hours). Proactiv's lotion doesn't. Proactiv has fragrance (parfum) in all three products. AcneFree has no fragrance in any of the steps.

Was your reaction acne, or what? If you've had an allergy test, maybe you can read the ingredients to determine if you were allergic to something in it.

This is my sixth day (I think) of using the Clean & Clear kit. My face is so dry. :| It's so stiff; I couldn't even eat a Big Mac without cracking of my face. I'll keep using it, though. I feel that the zits are starting to clear up.

I'm pissed. The cleanser has 10% BP in it. What the hell... :evil: I should've known better. It's day seven, any my skin looks worse than before (very dry, no clearing). I'm getting very discouraged from continuing use of this product. Also, I'm ovulating today (day 14). What a bitch. I want to go back to Proactiv. I've been using spot treatment every night. Maybe not doing that will let the zit heal. :think: Somebody please give me some input! I'm going fucking insane!

Well, I tried AcneFree last night. Though, I feel my skin looks great, except for the zits. :doubt: The zinc and Vitamin A pills must be helping.

Well, it's been nearly two weeks without my (now) beloved Proactiv. I quit because it made my face red. I used Proactiv for about 2 and a half months before quitting. I read about others who had success with a "water only" regimen. Well, I've got a little over 30 zits and whiteheads. I only had half as many (small) zits before and no whiteheads.

I used Proactiv for the first month with limited results. The second month, I mixed Denorex (3 % salicylic acid) and a Clean & Clear moisturiser with 0.5% salicylic acid. My skin wasn't clearer, but it was a huge improvement from several months earlier. (People even noticed!) I quit because I wasn't completely clear. However, I did notice around the time I got my half-as-many-before forehead breakout, I nuked my face with Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque every night for a week. I also steamed every night for a week. Maybe, this made the breakout stick around... Irritation, maybe? :think:

I was given Mupirocin 2% (seven day use) to use for my existing blemishes. (Any experiences?) So, I read AcneFree was better for many more than Proactiv was. I was wondering maybe to try AcneFree once this Mupirocin is over with. Or, should I stick with Proactiv? I'll still mix my Denorex with the cleanser either way, since it seems to be effective. Also, is it true that when you use benzoyl peroxide, it cancels out other acne meds? It doesn't seem like it here, but I've heard that. If not, I'll start using one of the 3-piece kits right away. I'm also interested in Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Control Kit. What do you all think? :razz:

I suggest trying Niacinamide pads available on Amazon.com. There are several research articles touting efficacy of topical Niacinamide in treatment of acne.

you have gotta be a spammer man.......I've seen you write this exact quote at least 3 times on different posts.......sorry if you're not spamming, maybe you're just a niacinamide fanatic, but the people on this site are looking for real tried and true experiences from people, not more of the endless advertisements for perfect skin we see everywhere we go........

Clean & Clear kit made it worse (I only used it ten days). I'm not using something like that ever again. :snooty: I'm going to go with AcneFree, though. I feel my skin looks great except for the zits. What I mean is that it's glowing in a way. Hmm... :think: I hope this crap clears up. School starts on August 11th, and I want a decent face by then.

I heard horseradish is good for existing blemishes. Any thoughts?

Just thought I'd pop in and be the first to endorse DKR on a far higher level than AcneFree or Proactiv.

Just thought I'd pop in and be the first to endorse DKR on a far higher level than AcneFree or Proactiv.

Thanks, Athan.

The Regimen seems to be the way to go for many, but it's late and I just finished my second day of AcneFree a couple of hours ago. I'm already seeing a difference! (It's not dramatic, but some improvement. :surprised: ) My breakout is pretty moderate. I have no whiteheads, not many blackheads (but big pores in nose area from past blackheads), and no cysts/nodules. I just have many pustules/papules (normal zits). They seem to be getting smaller.

I was going to get AcneFree Severe (it has 10% time-released BP in its lotion), but instead I figured I'd just apply more of this lotion to my problem areas (3.7% time-released BP).

The Dan Kern Regimen is more gentle than this, but I think if you've found something that really works for you, stick with it. If this fails, it's either Proactiv again, or the Regimen. Dan's got a good idea on treating acne, and I love this site. I'm not going to quit soon, though. I won't give up. :snooty:

I finished my fourth day yesterday (it's four in the morning now) and I'm seeing improvement. School starts on the 11th, and I want a nice face by then. Well, maybe my expectations are too high. :whistle: Ugh... I'll just have to use non-comedogenic makeup if it doesn't clear well within the next few days.

I just got one question for you: Have you tried the regimen?

I think proactive is very irritating to the face specially with that grainy cleanser that only makes your face red. Also, isn't 10% BP for the face too strong? That's going to cause irritation and maybe some burning/peeling. I think you should try the regime if you haven't.

Regards, Good Luck! :surprised: