Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shroper

10 months of diet/hollistic and still breaking out badly

Ok so I have been experimenting with diet for almost a year now. At first i went with the basics and just cut out just junk. Then I went low carb, high-fat for 3 months, which didnt change anything except for my ability to go to the bathroom(yes i was eating more than enough fat). I took lots of antifungals and probiotics in case it was candida related. Then I decided to switch to more vegetables and less meat, in that I ate about 3 vegetarian meals and 1 meal w/ meat per day. No change in acne here either for better or worse. Latley ive been just eating kind of in the middle with maybe 2 meals that have meat and then lots of low-carb vegetables, no fuit or grains or potatoes, etc... STill breaking out in inflamed pimples all over. I am completley at a lose on what to do because it just seems like no matter what i do the acne never slows down. I have eliminated every food at some point in time during my experimentation but the acne is always there.

Any ideas besides diet on what i could try? it is obvious that food has no effect. About three weeks ago i said fuk it and ate whatever for a week or so and still didnt get any worse. I am 23 so its not the teenage hormones. Zits are all over my face, cheeks, chin, around mouth, beside nose, but forehead is clear no matter what. I gave up on all creams and washes since all they do is make my face more dry and irritated. i just wash with water. I am desperate here. Supplements never did anything either, i have tried soo many and always stick with it for a while before giving up. I always stick with things for a while so its not like i do something for a week and then give up since it isnt working. Everytime I changed my diet I stuck with it for a couple months. I am so close to breaking down and taking accutane or something, even thouh im sure that probbably wouldnt work either. Any help would be great, i dont care how crazy it sounds i am willing to try anything at this point.

I'm only three months into a diet change, but I'm equally discouraged; you can see my current thread somewhere below yours. Have you tried adding in supplements (Zinc, fish oils, etc)? You might also look into at-home light treatment; I've already had pretty good success with the BeautySkin acne lamp and I've only been using it two or three weeks.

i tried those acne lamps before for a while but ended up returning it since it didnt help. I swear i tried every suggestion on this site from diet, supplements, creams, and lights in the past 2 years all with no success. Diet made my acne less severe but that means from dozens of cysts down to dozens of pustules now. not much of an improvement.

Hiya

It always helps if you explain what you are doing.

Out of Beans/Legumes, Nuts, Seeds, Dairy, Meat, Vegetables, Fruits & Grains, Supplements, etc

What exactly are you eating?

What exactly are you avoiding?

Thanks!

Hiya

Out of Beans/Legumes, Nuts, Seeds, Dairy, Meat, Vegetables, Fruits & Grains, Supplements, etc

Thanks!

Alright at this point I am AVOIDING nuts, legumes, grains, dairy, eggs.

WHAT I EAT

Small portions of meat once or twice/day(chicken, beef, turkey, fish, lamb)

Lots of vegetables- Kale, cauliflower, collards, broccoli, spinach, brussel sprouts, asaparagus, squash, peppers, cucumbers, carrots, occasional yam, cabbage, onions, celery, you get the point

about 1 apple a day and usually half or whole avacado.

Good fats(coconut oil, ghee)

I take 2 teaspoons of cod liver oil a day.

Hiya

Thanks!

Alright at this point I am AVOIDING nuts, legumes, grains, dairy, eggs.

I eat: Small portions of meat once or twice/day(chicken, beef, turkey, fish, lamb), Lots of vegetables(mainly low carb stuff), about 1 apple a day and usually half or whole avacado. Good fats(coconut oil, ghee), and i guess thats about it.

I take 2 teaspoons of cod liver oil a day.

I am suspect of Ghee....however....if Dairy were an issue...you should have SEEN improvement because you eliminated all other forms of dairy.

You should have seen a difference, even if you were not 100% perfect on your diet.

How long have you been following this particular diet?

What types of Veggies are you eating?

i tried those acne lamps before for a while but ended up returning it since it didnt help. I swear i tried every suggestion on this site from diet, supplements, creams, and lights in the past 2 years all with no success. Diet made my acne less severe but that means from dozens of cysts down to dozens of pustules now. not much of an improvement.

Sorry to hear about the lights not working :( My skin has always been very sensitive to burning, and I can't help but wonder whether that has something to do with my responsiveness to the treatment.

One other thought that popped into my head was these Avon skin 'peels' I saw in somebody else's signature (can't recall the exact name). They're listed on Avon's site and there are dozens upon dozens of reviews from people saying it has both decreased redness as well as prevented the forming of new acne. Worth looking into if you haven't tried it before... plus, it seems that it does not irritate the skin unlike normal peels, so it means almost anyone can try it--I know I'm going to once I get back home.

no sugar except whats in an apple and vegetables. no artificial ones either. I do not cheat ever!! All my friends think im crazy because i wont eat anything unless i prepare it. I have made every single meal for the past 10 months from scratch(except my break down week of eating junk) so i know everything that goes into my meals. I just dont get it. thanks for the suggestions so far though

no sugar except whats in an apple and vegetables. no artificial ones either. I do not cheat ever!! All my friends think im crazy because i wont eat anything unless i prepare it. I have made every single meal for the past 10 months from scratch(except my break down week of eating junk) so i know everything that goes into my meals. I just dont get it. thanks for the suggestions so far though

Hmm...what type of inflammed acne do you have....cystic (breaks spilling contents) or nodular (becomes reabsorbed)?

There's other schools of thought on this issue, but do you know why you have acne? Meaning did the doctors dx you with anything? Do you suffer from any other signs or symptoms that you feel aren't normal? Are there any predominant health issues that run in your family?

It can definately be some other reason you have acne that may have a specific diet and holistic regimen or it may be something that's better treated with Prescriptions/supplements. It just depends on what your signs/symptoms are.

I get pustules, the nasty pus filled infalmed ones that eventually just pop and leave nasty red marks. My skin is so scarred and covered in redmarks from these. i never even went to a doctor for m acne because Im guessing they will just give me antibiotics which I do not want to take. As far as other health problems th only thing is that my hair is thinning which seems unusual for someone my age. I have tried everything to reduce DHT and stuff like that but with no success there either. I figured low-carb would help in controlling hormone levels etc but again, i was still breaking out. I really dont know how much longer i can take this. It is so hard for me to go to class with a face full of pimples and a receeding hair line. makes me wanna puke when i can actually bring myself to look in the mirror. I am just reluctant to take prescription drugs etc du to side-effects and the fact that the simply mask the symptoms. There is surely something wrong internally that is causing this but i dont have a clue what that problem is.

Sounds like I'm reading my own story here. Tried diet changes for over a year now. My next area to investigate came from when I had blood tests run on a regular physical that showed something slightly out of range on the liver tests, though the doctor said it wasn't enough out of normal to pursue I'm still going to pursue it because I think it's at least related to my problems with acne.

I finally found an MD that is a Medical Doctor and Naturopathic Doctor but it took me 4 months to get an appointment with him! Sounds crazy, but I still have one month left before the appointment. I have no idea if he will actually be able to help me, but I think it's a good chance. According to his bio he "uses state-of-the-art laboratory testing to evaluate for allergies, hormone levels, toxic metals, digestive and immune function, inflammation, and amino acids." I'm convinced my problem is related to liver function and / or hormone levels (which I understand are also influenced by the liver). I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as we just have to keep trying to find the answer for ourselves. It's obvious there isn't one answer for everyone, don't give up.

have you tried a high fiber diet? psyllium husks etc. or have you done enemas? I've read and heard that people with severe acne have cleared after being on a high fiber diet or colon cleansers..

I'm so sorry to heard that your diet didn't clear.. you know it's not only diet, it's also state of mind, do you feel stressed, sad, angry, most of the time? stress can put your hormones out of wack.

also.. do you sleep 8 to 9 hrs a day?

don't give up just yet.

hmm so it's not gluten or candida O_O

The thing I like about antibiotic is......it clears u up really quick(which took only a week on me)

then I stopped and maintain it by diet ...still going fine now ( I figured my cause was candida and it's under control now)

It's easier to get clear up first then you can stay clear...

plus...I dont think antibiotic is that bad as everyone says it is...just take a bunch of probiotic afterward and let it does its thing