Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baby pink

daily workouts-good for acne?

I've started going to the gym every day :) I do 60 minutes of cardio every morning, and started adding Pilates at night.

there are a lot of pluses to this, I'm feeling better, I have more energy, lost a little weight and can probably reach my goal weight by the end of the summer. I'm fairly good at following the diet restrictions one of the derms gave me (no dairy, gluten, peanuts, sushi, iodine) and I think my diet is fairly healthy

Everyone says working out is good for acne and I sure hope so, because every day during and after my workout, my face looks like CRAP. it looks like a war zone. all sweaty, red, blotchy, and all the red marks stand out like 100x worse. I ALWAYS feel like I'm breakout out when I'm exercising I so want to get in shape and lose weight so I tell myself not to care if anyone is looking at me but I do a little bit.

My face looks ehh during the day, I obviously still have an acne problem. but during exercise I look like a train wreck.

will this get better with time? or is getting hot and sweaty aggravating my skin?

I know your looking for confirmation that excercise causes acne but...

For me it is the opposite. If i go for a nice long bike ride, the oil goes away, and replaced with sweat (which i conclude releases the toxins)

The next day, I am reasonably clear.

Maybe in your case, it aggrevates it. :think:

I've started going to the gym every day :) I do 60 minutes of cardio every morning, and started adding Pilates at night.

Maybe you're exercising too much.

If you exercise every other day you basically notice no difference because most of the changes occurr when the body is resting. I exercise everyday not because it needs to be done but because I exercise different things so if one day I'm budy with flexibility and strength the next day I might practice tennis or improve my swimming technique.

New studies are showing that even exercising once per week provides results, meaning that the stimulus of one day is enough to keep the body busy changing and improving it when there are moment of rest. The typical very common mistake of all people starting exercising to feel better and change their body is overtraining which lead to nervous central fatigue which leads to stress which lead to compromised immune functions.

Be careful with working out too much. To "work out" literally means to expend energy externally, causing a break down of tissue, which then rebuilds itself. Some people dont have the energy to begin with to do that everday. They may think its healthy but at the same time it may be doing more harm than good. You should focus or "working in" just as much as working out. Working in leaves you with more energy than you started with instead of draining you. You need to switch back and forth so you can recharge and heal yourself. Tai chi and yoga are great for this.

I've exercised for many years and haven't experienced any change in my acne as a result. The only thing thats helped my acne is diet. What you're experiencing is probably related to the higher body temperature and blood flow that goes along with any physical activity that raises your heart rate significantly. I'd keep up the exercising as there are only good benefits to be had provided you don't over do it (over train).

I remember a time when I was not happy with my abdominals so I trained them everyday for 30 minutes and nothing happend. I stopped altogether because I was getting sore and tired and nothing happend. I did an irregulat 15 minute exercising one day just because I felt like it but since I wasn't trying to create a schedule I left my abdominal untouched the next days. I was shocked to see that after 6 days since that single session they had improved. I felt better and did another session and again waited 6 days. They were improving very fast and when I stopped exercising for two weeks (I wasn't the sport kid I'm nowadays) they kept improving on their own. I started to listen to my body and I knew instinctively when I was in need of a new session. My mistake before was to tire my body like hell with long daily sessions and just when my body was gonna build something and burn fat taking advantage of the rest moments, I sabotaged everything by forcing it to work.

It's like an hair cut. You cut hair (your session) and then as they grow back you knew instinctively when it's time for another hair-cut session. What if you keep getting an hair-cut everyday? You would be left with no hair at all and would have to wait a way longer time before they can grow back.

A study showed that 20 minutes of resistance training a week are enough to build strength, muscle, bone density and burn fat. Enough doesn't mean the best you could get from exercising, but the results are concrete and this is interesting enough considering many trainers have been claiming nothing would change from exercising once a week and if you must exercise once a week you can not exercise at all and it would be the same.

I think workouts and their effect on acne really depend on the type of workout and the person.

For me, my acne has almost always looked its best after I did some form of strenous exercise. I'd always notice that it was relatively low in inflammation after I went for a trail run, even if I was sweaty afterwards. But for me, this makes sense, as I've been told by Chinese medicine practitioners that a main trigger of my acne is poor circulation. Vigorous exercise improves circulation and thus my acne is better when I work out.

As to how much exercise, that depends on the person too. Personally I find ~90 minutes is best for me. I do 3-hour sessions often, but I find I am a lot more tired and my skin is a lot more oily afterwards, compared to just 1 1/2 hours.

I'd say, experiment with different forms of exercise, at varying lengths. Hopefully you'll find one that you both enjoy and helps your acne.