Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LakerChris

LakerChris' Accutane Journey (Support and Advice Gladly Appreciated!!)

Well, I guess I'm really doing this. After all the arguing with myself that I did not need this strong drug to clear my face, apparently I indeed need this drug to clear my face. I'm excited :dance::dance: , yet scared/ cautious :think::think:. To my surprise, no persuasion was needed at all to get the prescription. As soon as my mom told my dermatologist of all my previous medicines (retin-a, diffiren, minocycline, doxycycline, duac, proactive), he immediately suggested accutane.

After he said accutane, I smiled :D because It's what I had wanted and I totally knew what to expect thanks to this site. He caught my smile, and said, "You know what accutane is, huh?". I responded with a "yes". So he prescribed me for 40 mg (one pill a day) just to take a safer route.

So this morning (July 17, 2008), I got my first blood test, got my prescription (Claravis), and as of right now am eating my first meal, after which I will take my first pill!!

I have a few questions for you accutane pro's:

-Is it ok to take my first pill the same day I got my blood test and my prescription?

-Are there any extra precautions for a 16-year-old taking accutane?

-Will accutane reduce redness?(Because redness is a big nuisance and is sometimes a bigger nuisance than my acne---if anyone can suggest any redness reducing creams, that'd be AWESOME)

Thanks in advance to all responses!

Does anyone think I can see vast improvement by December? (December being the 5th month) I really want to look somewhat good for my WinterBall =P. Well for now I'm off to see Dark Knight (midnight showing!).

Please Lord let this be my savior medicine :pray:

post-78204-1216339999_thumb.jpg

post-78204-1216340023_thumb.jpg

post-78204-1216340190_thumb.jpg

Hey I'm taking 40mg a day too :) I'm on day 24 and so far its been pretty good, not too horrible or anything (except for the nose bleed I got this morning :( )

I'm pretty sure you can take your pill on the same day as your blood test and stuff. I would have, but I got the wrong ID number for ipledge so I couldn't log into my account to answer the questions -_- So I had to wait 2 weeks ><

I'm 16 too, and I guess my advice is to get moisturizer (CeraVe works really well), always have some lip balm around (Vaseline works like a miracle ;) The corners of my lips were cracking but after a day of Vaseline they healed :) ) And drink tons of water as it may help with headaches and stuff. And it helps reduce redness ;) (for me at least) Oh! And use a gentle face wash too, as your skin is really sensitive while on Accutane. If you get back pains, exercising helps a lot (my back was so sore a few days ago but now its getting better kinda)

Through the first few days or so expect an IB. It'll get worse before it gets better. Some days your skin may look like its improving, and then the next day or so it looks bad :doubt: For me my skin is looking better, and it definetely isn't as red as it was before :)

Good luck with your course!

Hey I'm taking 40mg a day too :) I'm on day 24 and so far its been pretty good, not too horrible or anything (except for the nose bleed I got this morning :( )

I'm pretty sure you can take your pill on the same day as your blood test and stuff. I would have, but I got the wrong ID number for ipledge so I couldn't log into my account to answer the questions -_- So I had to wait 2 weeks ><

I'm 16 too, and I guess my advice is to get moisturizer (CeraVe works really well), always have some lip balm around (Vaseline works like a miracle ;) The corners of my lips were cracking but after a day of Vaseline they healed :) ) And drink tons of water as it may help with headaches and stuff. And it helps reduce redness ;) (for me at least) Oh! And use a gentle face wash too, as your skin is really sensitive while on Accutane. If you get back pains, exercising helps a lot (my back was so sore a few days ago but now its getting better kinda)

Through the first few days or so expect an IB. It'll get worse before it gets better. Some days your skin may look like its improving, and then the next day or so it looks bad :doubt: For me my skin is looking better, and it definetely isn't as red as it was before :)

Good luck with your course!

Thanks for all the advice and good luck with your course! ;):D :D :D Oh and I gotta give you your props for thinking towards your future, like I am. Better to take this stuff now in high school where relationships are not so serious, rather than in college or further down life where relationships and social life becomes a big part of life. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for all the advice and good luck with your course! ;):D :D :D Oh and I gotta give you your props for thinking towards your future, like I am. Better to take this stuff now in high school where relationships are not so serious, rather than in college or further down life where relationships and social life becomes a big part of life. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Haha yeah that's true ;) I'm hoping my skin will clear up by the time I start school, though, which is in exactly a month :silenced: I dunno if my skin will completely clear by then ? But it's been slowly improving, though maybe 2 more months more would do the trick. Oh well, I'll see what my aunt says :)

Well, I guess I'm really doing this. After all the arguing with myself that I did not need this strong drug to clear my face, apparently I indeed need this drug to clear my face. I'm excited :dance: :dance: , yet scared/ cautious :think: :think:. To my surprise, no persuasion was needed at all to get the prescription. As soon as my mom told my dermatologist of all my previous medicines (retin-a, diffiren, minocycline, doxycycline, duac, proactive), he immediately suggested accutane.

After he said accutane, I smiled :D because It's what I had wanted and I totally knew what to expect thanks to this site. He caught my smile, and said, "You know what accutane is, huh?". I responded with a "yes". So he prescribed me for 40 mg (one pill a day) just to take a safer route.

So this morning (July 17, 2008), I got my first blood test, got my prescription (Claravis), and as of right now am eating my first meal, after which I will take my first pill!!

-Is it ok to take my first pill the same day I got my blood test and my prescription?

-Will accutane reduce redness?(Because redness is a big nuisance and is sometimes a bigger nuisance than my acne---if anyone can suggest any redness reducing creams, that'd be AWESOME)

Oh yeah...by looking at my full face pic, does anyone think I can see vast improvement by December? (December being the 5th month) I really want to look somewhat good for my WinterBall =P. Well for now I'm off to see Dark Knight (midnight showing!).

Well, I guess I'm really doing this. After all the arguing with myself that I did not need this strong drug to clear my face, apparently I indeed need this drug to clear my face. I'm excited :dance: :dance: , yet scared/ cautious :think: :think:. To my surprise, no persuasion was needed at all to get the prescription. As soon as my mom told my dermatologist of all my previous medicines (retin-a, diffiren, minocycline, doxycycline, duac, proactive), he immediately suggested accutane.

Oh yeah...by looking at my full face pic, does anyone think I can see vast improvement by December? (December being the 5th month) I really want to look somewhat good for my WinterBall =P. Well for now I'm off to see Dark Knight (midnight showing!).

Guest missyjean130

Hey, good luck with your course! Since we start on the same day we can compare side effects! jk :lol:

i had the same acne as you although i broke out a little less with the help of bp and other acne products. you should clear up well like me. i started clearing up completely a little over a month into my course. i'm at the end of month 2 now, and i have no spots whatsoever...just clogged pores (which are not as bad as before), which i hope will go away by the time i'm done with month 5.

Hey man first month i was on 40mg claravis and saw little to no change except more sensitive to light. Second month when i was bumped up to 80mg a day i got the IB and more side effects like bloody nose and drier skin. Now just entering the third month i think its gonna get better. Also don't be surprised if the zits you get from accutane are more tender than usual and more painful. Also the spots appear to heal slower than normal, but still fully heal eventually. Just trying to give you a heads up as to what you can expect from this stuff since we're in the same boat. GL and ya you should be at least 85% clear by december.

Thanks for all the support!

Missyjean- This is my third day and for some reason, I haven't had any side effects(knock on wood). Hopefully the side effects aren't going crazy on you. :pray: Oh and did you have any red marks that were healed by accutane?

scarredpores- I think I have it reallly bad. I honestly wouldn't mind the acne as much If I didn't have all these red marks on my face. Hopefully accutane will solve my red mark problem as well.

deadbeat- I just watched it for the 2nd time, and I can't get enough of it. Heath Ledger is so captivating, and I feel empty knowing he's no longer with us. :cry::cry:

Dman20- Hey Dman how bad was the IB? I think the same will happen for me, as in an increase of dosage because my derm told be I'd take an easy dosage and we'd see how my body reacts. If I react well for the first month, I believe he will bump up the dosage. Looks like for now I've avoided even the dry lips. I do get a tad bit drowsy, but nothing to worry about.

Day 3

So just watched Dark Knight for the 2nd time. What a masterpiece :clap: . R.I.P Heath. :(:(

Acne: I have not yet experienced an initial breakout. The acne I had before accutane is, however, growing and coming fully out but other than that I have not felt or seen any new pimples. STILL VERY OILY!

Side effects: Some drowsiness, minor muscle/ bone aches. Surprisingly no dry lips(yet).

Please Lord let this be my savior medicine. :pray:

Guest missyjean130

Hm, well it's day 4 for us! I'm drowsy and thirsty, but that's it so far. I have TONS TONS and more TONS of red marks...if you check my log I circled my breakouts, so you could see that everything else was just red marks. I'm hoping they'll reduce a bit with tane, but if they don't I'll just work on those when I'm off it.

Well once again, good luck!

Hey dude!! Good luck with the course. Even when you don't think it's working, it truly is. Just stick with it! I feel like we started out with the same severeness of acne and this baby cleared me up great! So you're just a few steps behind me! And for red marks as you had asked, mine have faded rather quickly. They are not really noticeable unless I'm staring myself down 1 foot from a mirror. It definitely takes time though. Hit me up if you ever wanna talk bro!

Matt

Quick Update: Day 5

I feel sooooo sluggish. My eyes are lazy, my head hurts, there's joint pain, and there's been a minor breakout. NOTE: Pimples do in fact become more tender when on accutane. Still pretty oily. I'll post pics up every week, so on week 7 new pics arriving! :)

Quick Update: Day 5

I feel sooooo sluggish. My eyes are lazy, my head hurts, there's joint pain, and there's been a minor breakout. NOTE: Pimples do in fact become more tender when on accutane. Still pretty oily. I'll post pics up every week, so on week 7 new pics arriving! :)

Hi Chris my sons name is Chris as well he started taking tane the same day you did and he is just starting with a small (i hope) breakout. He starts college this fall and was thinking about not going until his face clears up. People just don't know how this albatross can affect one in life.

Please Lord let this be their savior medicine also please stop the breakouts and help them heal faster.

hey lakerchris, a couple of things. You said you'd hope to be clear by december, i agree with the others saying that you will most likely be clear or close to clear by december. I actually started my second course of accutane the same day as you. I'm 16 so yeah, i don't think theres anything especially different for 16 year olds taking it, besides that the dry lips and dry face are annoying as hell! During my first course i was clear by month 2, and i basically had the same type and amount of acne as you had. Obviously those were really good results but hey, it might happen for you too. About the redness, accutane didn't really reduce my redness because of the dry skin i got. But since i had no more acne the general amount of redness decipated. Hope this helps

Hi Chris my sons name is Chris as well he started taking tane the same day you did and he is just starting with a small (i hope) breakout. He starts college this fall and was thinking about not going until his face clears up. People just don't know how this albatross can affect one in life.

Please Lord let this be their savior medicine also please stop the breakouts and help them heal faster.

You're son and all those dealing with this evil(acne) will be in my prayers :) :) .

Day 8 Update

Acne: I'm one of the lucky few who have received the graces of the cursed Initial Breakout..Chin is fairly clear but still rough textured, cheeks have bumps everywhere, forehead still breaking out, and nose is breaking out the most. Every thing's drying up. And every morning I wake up with dried blood spots on my face, which probably means I moved around too much when I was sleeping and accidentally popped a pimple.

Side Effects: Chapped lips, drowsiness, sluggish/slow, lower back pain whenever I lie down, and a crazyyyyy headache I had a few days ago.

Please Lord let this be our savior medicine. :pray:

hey lakerchris, a couple of things. You said you'd hope to be clear by december, i agree with the others saying that you will most likely be clear or close to clear by december. I actually started my second course of accutane the same day as you. I'm 16 so yeah, i don't think theres anything especially different for 16 year olds taking it, besides that the dry lips and dry face are annoying as hell! During my first course i was clear by month 2, and i basically had the same type and amount of acne as you had. Obviously those were really good results but hey, it might happen for you too. About the redness, accutane didn't really reduce my redness because of the dry skin i got. But since i had no more acne the general amount of redness decipated. Hope this helps

Thanks for all the info. Right now I'm breaking out like pretty good and I can only hope to have results by the end of month 2. I hope you have success with your second course. :)

chris, the ib wasn't horrible for me but i got 3 moderate cysts on my neck(WTF I NEVER GOT CYSTS BEFORE ACCUTANE)and 2 of them are healing real nicely, the third one appeared later on so its still tender. Wow, almost identical side effects i got from the start(drowsiness, muscle/bone aches, but no dry lips yet.) I am also hoping accutane helps w/ the general redness that still lingers from topical use.