Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
May

accutane: how bad are the side effects?

hey rap,

do people with no cystic acne, but moderate acne, do they experience remission of acne -free skin also?

Also, after the remission has expired do you agree as some say 

even if not cured, the acne is less or different in some way before taking accutane?

yes, usually this will occur with adult onset acne. rarely in adolescent acne.

yes, it's much less severe. severity being measured in size and depth of cysts.

adult acne is a different animal than adolescent acne. often severe adolescent acne, if left alone, will eventually halt by itself. accutane will expedite this process. adult acne is very pesistent and will not lessen on its own until much later in life.

thanks, i hate to bother you, like the severity of cysts becomes less after accutane.

I s there any change in the severity of pimples after accutane?

Also I read from dr. fultons book that male acne peaks at 18-20 tears old and the severity decrease till you typically burnout 23-24.

for me the severity has gone down , but 24 no burnout yet.

He says women have more hormonal flucations with the mentrual cycle so the acne is more like a rollercoster and last longer . men have less acne but tends to be more severe.

thanks, i hate to bother you, like the severity of cysts becomes less after accutane. 

I s there any change in the severity of pimples after accutane?

Also I read from dr. fultons book that male acne peaks at 18-20 tears old and the severity decrease till you typically burnout 23-24.

for me the severity has gone down , but 24 no burnout yet.

He says women have more hormonal flucations with the mentrual cycle so the acne is more like a rollercoster and last longer . men have less acne but tends to be more severe.

it's no bother. the incidence and severity of pimples are dramatically reduced. you have to remember though that your skin will be less durable and any manipulation of pimples will be more likely to cause scarring.

dr fulton is referring to adolescent onset acne not adult onset acne. the latter does not "burnout" at 23-24. try 40. if he doesn't distinguish between the two you have a clear indicator as to the depth of his knowledge regarding acne.

hey rap,

i notice you talk about the diff. b'w adolesence onset and adultonset.

I starting getting acne at 15 each year it got worse till i hit 18-19 and got pretty severe. since 20-24 its been mild but hasn't burned out yet. would I be adolescene on set ,since i've had since puberty, eventough i'm not a adolescenet?

also, when you've taken accutane did you have othere lesions besides cysts?

did accutane clear those and did you experience a remission of those other lesions either comedones or pimples?

hey rap,

i notice you talk about the diff. b'w adolesence onset and adultonset.

I starting getting acne at 15 each year it got worse till i hit 18-19 and got pretty severe. since 20-24 its been mild but hasn't burned out yet. would I be adolescene on set  ,since i've had since puberty, eventough i'm not a adolescenet?

also, when you've taken accutane did you have othere lesions besides cysts?

did accutane clear those and did you experience a remission of those other lesions either comedones or pimples?

there's nothing to say that an individual cannot have hormone levels that will cause them to have acne as a teen as well as throughout middle age. i know this doesn't help but there's no reason to believe that suddenly @24 your acne is going to just stop. a hormonal change occurring at this point would be atypical.

in my case i didn't have acne until my twenties. most everyone else i've come into contact with are the opposite. only after doing research online did i meet people with adult acne.

i had everything before accutane and now i get pimples and the occasional cyst all of which are much less severe.

Just to clarify... when one refers to the "remission" after treatment with Accutane, this is the period of acne-free skin? Or is it the return of acne after treatment? Thanks, a little confused. :wink:

Just to clarify... when one refers to the "remission" after treatment with Accutane, this is the period of acne-free skin?  Or is it the return of acne after treatment?  Thanks, a little confused.    :wink:

good point, it's the period of acne-free skin.

hey rap,

i was wondering if you recommend accutane for someone who gets pimples and some blackheads. though if not cured

do you think taking it will help with making the acne less persient or easier to control with topicals

hey rap,

i was wondering if you recommend accutane for someone who gets pimples and some blackheads. though if not cured 

do you think taking it will help with making the acne less persient or easier to control with topicals

if the incidence and persistence of said pimples are enough to effect the quality of your life and have also proven to be resistent to less controversial treatments then i would say that you're a candidate. i'm not going to recommend accutane to anyone but i can tell you what to expect from it.

accutane will make most cases of acne less severe indefinitely and less persistent for at least 1-2 years. i've never had much luck with topicals so i won't blow smoke up your ass and claim that you'll have more control with them.

hi rap,

I went tor my dr. today for a check up, I noticed if i look close in the mirror i get these slight patches of white inflammation. I never seen anything like it before and was concerned. I shoed him and he said it was inflammation but not acne. he said its nothing to worry about its from the medicine. have you heard of such a thing?

hi rap,

I went tor my dr. today for a check up, I noticed if i look close in the mirror i get these slight patches of white inflammation. I never seen anything like it before and was concerned. I shoed him and he said it was inflammation but not acne. he said its nothing to worry about its from the medicine. have you heard of such a thing?

it could be some form of dermatitus but it doesn't sound like perioral dermatitus so i'm just blindly guessing.

Dr. rap,

the best i can explain, the inflammation is not huge but its there ands white. like if you get your thumb and press and hold it down hard on the palm of your other hand for 5 seconds. and it leaves that white indent, kinda like that.thanks

Hello all, I thought I would give my experience on accutane. A little background first. I am 30 and had mild acne but always had a cyst/nodule present since I was about 18. The mild part was not a big deal, but it was the cysts/nodules that really got to me. As soon as one nodule went away(usually 2 weeks or so) I would get another sometimes multiples. About three years ago I finally went to the Derm. and he gave me minocycline. It worked for about a year then for whatever reason stopped. After that, I went on Doxy, Euramicin(sp?), and Tetracycline all of which did not work. I finally went on accutane this past summer (80 mgs. day). It took effect almost immediately with the drying of my skin. I will say however, that the initial breakout (2 weeks into it) was the worst I have ever broken out. After the first two weeks though, my face began to clear and I have had only 1 cyst since then and that was at the beginning of August. Side effects have been minimal, with dry skin, chapped lips, and the occaisional bloody nose. Monthly blood work has been good with my chlores. staying around 200.

I am now on my last few days of meds. I did get a prescript. for a sixth month but Cigna does not cover 6 straight months so I am stopping now. I will say, without insurance I might would have never done this so I am thankful Cigna does cover it. It has been a great experience for me personally and mentally, and I would not hesitate to go back on it if it comes back in the future(which I am praying it does not.)

All I can say to those who are considering it, do your homework and talk to your derm. The side effects affect everyone differently(it made a friend of my wife's VERY emotional) so buying this stuff on the internet/black market is not a good idea. Anyway, enough of my rambling-good luck and take care.

I have been tempted to try Accutane - I am 23, female, and I have some cystic acne. Derm told me last week I could try it if I wished, then gave me the booklet put out by the pharm. company, it is very long. That will be my last resort.

All of you out there consider this - it is a last resort. There can be serious side effects. Consider going to a naturopath or better yet, an integrative medicine person who combines conventional and natural.

I am presently going to one, went once a month ago and then yesterday. Look into trying the 4% niacinomide cream, which the pharmacist (has to be prescribed, by the way, as it is a compoud of a B Vitamin) told me is cheaper and works just as well (will see, just started last night) as Clindomycin, which is supposed to work for cystic acne.

If my diet and increased water dosage and a homeopathic remedy plus this Niacinomide cream do not work for me, and I will know in a couple of weeks, I may be forced to go to Accutane. I have been increasing my Vitamin A to 25,000 (about the max for safety) with Herpacine pills (all natural), which Accutane is a strong synthetic derivitive. My mass breakout started about 2 weeks ago or more, it was awful, but this week my oil seems less and skin improving, getting some color back. For me, I get rather moody and depressed easily anyway, I do not know if I want to try that.

Newcastlegirl

het rap,

I saw what roy wrote about the white inflammation, and I looked at my face and i noticed that on my lower cheeks the are were i shave my veins are alot more noticeable under the accutane. and I also noticed that i also had some white inflammation on my skin, but it seemed to correlate the pattern of my veins. kinda weird.

Darn, I was really hoping to talk to my derm, so I can start accutane... but with all the posts I read, you guys are freaking me out, my acne has goten a little better. My back and chest don't look good at all, and is there a way to get rid of pigmented marks, they cover my face and my back!!!! STUPID ACNE!!!

Darn, I was really hoping to talk to my derm, so I can start accutane... but with all the posts I read, you guys are freaking me out, my acne has goten a little better.  My back and chest don't look good at all, and is there a way to get rid of pigmented marks, they cover my face and my back!!!! STUPID ACNE!!!

please, don't be freaked out. especially by second hand anecdotal information from people who have never taken it.

het rap,

I saw what roy wrote about the white inflammation, and I looked at my face and i noticed that on my lower cheeks the are were i shave my veins are alot more noticeable under the accutane. and I also noticed that i also had some white inflammation on my skin, but it seemed to correlate the pattern of my veins. kinda weird.

that is odd, but it's got to be from the thinning effect.

hey rap, i was wondering if you know if taking 6 months dose instead of a 4 month dose would provide a better remission for pimples? thanks

Will Accutane help pigmented marks cause my face is covered with dark pigmented marks... or is there some product out there that would really help... cause its really killing me :cry:

I started developing acne at the age of like... eleven i think. It was not minor acne, it was serious cystic acne. Well after a few years of trying over the counter remedies, i went to a dermatologist. Initially he tried some topical products, and a course of antibiotic, and i saw no improvement. I think i was about 15 or 16 when he prescribed Accutane.

Are the side effects serious? For some people, yes. I didn't have any of the "serious" side effects, but i was certainly miserable for the time i was on the medication. Weekly blood tests to check liver function, bi-weekly pregnancy tests to cover the company's butt... my skin was dry and itchy and i'd scratch it in my sleep until i bled. My lips were also dry and cracked and bleeding. I was going through one of those little tubs of carmex every week, and the drug seemed to aggravate not only my acne, but also gave me fever blisters in the corners of my mouth that i'd never had before or since. My eyes became very dry, needed lots of natural tears type eyedrops, and it was 10 years before i could wear contacts without them popping out of my overly dry eyes. My mouth was also too dry and has contributed to me having too many cavities, since saliva is one of your body's natural defenses against tooth decay.

And what did i get for all this trauma? Well, my acne was reduced from severe and cystic to mild and non cystic. For a few years. The breakouts have been increasing in frequency and severity and at the moment i have a moderate breakout and my acne is about half cystic and half not.

I was told initially that if the acne returned, i could begin a new course of Accutane and that would probably finish clearing me. I am debating requesting another treatment. I'm 28 years old and so tired of acne. I feel like i was robbed, that i never got to pretty... Anyway i'm not sure if i want to go through another treatment, with all the tests and side effects, especially if i have the same type of temporary results. Accutane is amazingly powerful and can have remarkable results, but there are side effects, what i described was considered perfectly "normal" by my doctor. Some people have had serious side effects much worse than what i experienced.

been there,

i was wondering when you took accutane before did you get other lesions besides cysts, and did accutane help clear them and they also didn't come back for a few years.

what kind of acne are you getting now?

it sounds like it helped alot fro you before and now years later it isn't as bad, so maybe it will help again. are you male or female> female maybe hormone options too.

Did your doctor say anything postive if you were to take it accutane again?