Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thunder_cloud

Throw Away Your Cleansers

Well after reading threads from people who had great success just washing with water I figured what the hell Ive tried everything else this cant hurt. Ive had great success clearing up my skin through diet, but alone it was only part of the puzzle. About 3 weeks ago I was using Purpose cleanser followed by jojoba and tea tree oil. I was still suffering from mild inflamed acne. Now all I do is wash with warm water, followed by a splash of cold, then moisturize with about 3 drops of jojoba oil and 1 drop of tea tree 2x a day. This has had an even more dramatic effect on my skin than going on on an insanely restrictive diet did. I feel like Im actually developing a new type of skin now, one that is more resilient, calm, non inflamed, and capable of healing dramatically quicker. Now all I'm getting is the random white head that stays maybe a day and just falls off without ever becoming inflamed or developing further. I am confident that within a couple weeks this too will go away entirely. I'm feeling great about this, I'm so happy that I took the plunge and tried out something that at first seemed completely counter intuitive. Who would of thought that the answer was so simple and right in front of me the whole time...WATER!!

Also Ive discovered that I can be much more free with my diet now. I believe that diet maybe where certain problems start but its the way we deal with our skin externally that accelerates and exacerbates the problem. I'm still eating really healthy but I can now confidentially allow myself to have the occasional treat whether it be ice cream, a cookie, a piece of pie, etc.. and not feel guilty at all or worry about the consequences. Being able to participate in social events involving food has decreased my stress levels dramatically as well. All the foods that once caused me problems are not having an effect on my skin anymore, its really amazing. I can consume grains, as much fruit as I want, sugar, dairy, chocolate, alcohol, ...etc. with no repercussions. This would of been outrageous to even consider possible a month ago. I'm free and loving it.

In closing I would really recommend anyone with mild to moderate inflamed acne like I had to try this out, it just maybe the answer you've been looking for. Ive come to the conclusion that most if not all cleansers do more harm than good. Your skin knows how to heal itself and protect itself naturally from foreign bacterial invaders. By constantly removing your skins natural protective shield you are creating a home for opportunistic acne bacteria to thrive. Its like when a forest is cut down for construction, its always the weeds that cease the opportunity to take root.

I have kept in touch with a VERY famous dermatologist. This is what she says about acne.

>> Avoid anything that will kill off the bacteria since you depend on these to

>> unclog the pores (e.g. benzoyl peroxide washes, acne bars , pumps,

>> ProActive etc. The bacteria breaks down triglycerides to free fatty acids, which

>> activate the enzyme that digests the glue between the skin scales, and

>> help unplug your pores. If you lived in the jungle with no cosmetic companies, you

>> will not have acne.

In other words, don't kill of the bacteria! The bacteria is essential to unplugging pores.

cheers guys.

yeah things really changed for me when I stopped abusing my face with all these chemicals and just used water. I always say now that if you apply anything to your face, make sure its healing your skin, not punishing it. The only thing I ever apply now is rosehip oil and thats nothing but healthy for the skin. Even before you clear up it looks/feels so much better to have healthy skin around your breakouts, than unhealthy red irritated skin to go along with your breakouts. Thats why i always laugh now when i see a skin product commercial that says it will clear your up but side effects include itchy/red/irritated/sensitive skin...its counterproductive.

think about what your putting on your face before you do it. and not to sound like a total hippie but...love your body

the only thing i use on my face is bio-oil, though I have been rather strict about my diet also like you have been in the past, I still can't seem to get over the guilt whenever I eat something processed, like today.. I had fast food (chipotle) for the first time in a like a month.. I'm now worried the effect that it'll have on my skin.. funny huh? I guess I'm going to have to wait 2 weeks to find out..

the only thing i use on my face is bio-oil, though I have been rather strict about my diet also like you have been in the past, I still can't seem to get over the guilt whenever I eat something processed, like today.. I had fast food (chipotle) for the first time in a like a month.. I'm now worried the effect that it'll have on my skin.. funny huh? I guess I'm going to have to wait 2 weeks to find out..

dont stress LMAO

ull be fine. ^^

My skin looks like shit when I use just water. I tried this method months ago and to be honest, during the beginning my skin looked great. I was hopeful. Couple weeks later I broke out in whiteheads, like usual. But during the treatment, my skin looked gross, oily and huge pores no matter how many times I blotted. After continuing my old routine to wash my face properly, my skin would look more matte and "clean"..but I only wash once a day with something completely natural. I don't think I could go back to not washing my face. Plus it's impossible for girls to get makeup off every day with just water, we need proper makeup removers.

It's nice to hear it's working for you though! Keep it up.

My skin is REALLY oily and though i haven't tried just using water i think if i did that my skin would feel greasy gross.

I'm still using Cetaphil gentle cleanser even though im aware it has sodium lauryl sulfate and al the bad shit but i've used it before i got acne and it didn't irritate or do anything bad to my skin at all.

So yeah, im using a cleanser to remove the excess oil for comfort's sake.

yep water is awesome in my case. It makes life so much easier and less stressful not having to worry about cleansers and creams. Just splash a little water on my face and im good to go. To people who think they will be more oily, i dont think thats gonna happen. I think you can only get so oily, its not like it will all just keep building to the point you have oil dripping from your face, at least i never experienced such a phenomena.

WHat about when washing your hair in the bath? The shampoo gets in the water and on your face etc. WHat do you do about this?

WHat about when washing your hair in the bath? The shampoo gets in the water and on your face etc. WHat do you do about this?

when i wash my hair I kneel down and bend over the shower faucet.. I don't shampoo everyday now, just maybe twice a week is enough for me and I'm going to start using a natural shampoo..

you rinse it off......if your skin is so sensitive that some shampoo touching your face causes acne, well, then I think you have some issues that need adressed internally(good chance you have parasites or something causing such hypersensitive reactions).

I think the flakiness comes from constantly using cleansers daily that accelerate the shedding of skin cells. When you stop using them all of sudden your skin needs time to regenerate and get out of that vicious cycle. The first couple weeks you will see the most shedding but after that it slowly starts to go away. Jojoba oil helps to balance out this problem and restore your natural skin.

The reason people have flakes is that you over-wash your face because you feel it needs extra cleaning--it doesn't. Don't give special priority to your face. Just hold your face under warm water for a good 10 seconds and use a washcloth to dry your face. I do not know what the ladies do.

The pH of the skin is very important and is maintained by the bacteria on your skin. When your pores are clogged, the bacteria is not able to colonize the pore. That's why uninflammatory acne is SO much harder to treat than inflammatory acne. Inflammation essentially speeds up the healing process because the bacteria break down the scales.

"If your lived in the jungle, and use no cosmetic products e.g conditioners,

sunscreens, lotions and moisturisers etc, which block your pores, you will

have no acne. The bacteria inside your pores will unplug your pores by

changing the pH from 7 to 5 and activating the enzyme that digests the glue between

your skin scales."

interesting.. i keep reading about only water curing acne. Even when i went to a acupuncturist from China he told me to stop using all topicals and cleansers.

I'm using a soap free cleanser.. here's Ingredients: (Search our Ingredient Dictionary)

Purified Water, Organic Lavender Alcohol, Organic Saponified Coconut Oil, Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Derived solely from Coconut Oil), Glycerol Stearate, Organic Soy Lecithin, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Organic Almond Oil), Sucrose Stearate (Natural Sugar Emulsifier), Oryza Sativa (Organic Rice Bran Extract), Butyrospermum Parkii Seed (Organic Shea Butter), Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil (Organic Argan Oil), Oenothera Biennis (Organic Evening Primrose Oil), Carthamus Tinctorius (Organic Safflower Seed Oil), Cucurbita pepo (Organic Pumpkin Seed Oil), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Organic Essential Oils of: Sweet Citrus aurantium (Organic Blood Orange), Lavandula angustifolia (Organic Sweet Lavender), Calendula officinalis (Organic Calendula), Athemis nobilis (Organic Roman Chamomile), Organic Herbal Extracts of: Calendula officinalis (Organic Calendula), Lavandula angustifolia (Organic Lavender), Rosa centifolia (Organic Rose), Rosmarinum officinalis (Organic Rosemary), Vegetable Glycerin, Xanthan Gum, (Non-GMO) Citric Acid.

Did you experience any purging or bad break outs? how long did it take for your skin to normalize?

what about people who wear makeup though? would water help remove it all?

You can cleanse with oil. Just apply a small amount, massage in, then remove with a warm damp cloth. Or google the oil cleansing method.

Chipotle is not that bad lol, all their food is pretty much organic. Even their cheese is vegetable based.

stopped washing my face unless i'm in the shower but now i just use tea tree oil. it looks a lot better now.

Chipotle is not that bad lol, all their food is pretty much organic. Even their cheese is vegetable based.

stopped washing my face unless i'm in the shower but now i just use tea tree oil. it looks a lot better now.

actually chipotle isn't good for you either. i've read about how it's filled with sodium or other bad things. http://zorba.members.winisp.net/2006/01/ch...althy-than.html

I can understand, but I don't think it's nearly as half as bad as McDonald's in terms of the quality of food lol.

what about people who wear makeup though? would water help remove it all?

water alone cannot remove make up. use a mild cleanser like cetaphil then use baking soda for 5-10 minutes. it really helps in unclogging pores