Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm chinese and I have a olive skin tone. Not too dark, but not too light either. I have red marks that i would like to get rid of but there are limited options for us asians. Asian skin is so sensitive, I've tried some glycolic acid and tozarac before, they really irritate my skin, along with ACV. I was thinking about buying some AHA or jojoba oil for the marks from the acne.org store, if anyone here with an asian skin have found any success using any product, do share. :)

So far I started taking vitamin supplements C, E, zinc, B-complex and B5.. to help the healing, so far my pee has been really yellow lol

UPDATE 7/18/08 I got some Bio-Oil from the store last night... I'm going to us eit just on my right side of my face, and left for a control...

I got the acne.org AHA+ yesterday.. so I have been using it for 1 day and I didn't see any changes on my red marks.. I will use it for a few weeks before I give a review hehe :) Hopefully it will work !

(Jojoba oil didn't work on my skin = broke out x_x)

I got the acne.org AHA+ yesterday.. so I have been using it for 1 day and I didn't see any changes on my red marks.. I will use it for a few weeks before I give a review hehe :) Hopefully it will work !

alright, but that has 10% glycolic acid, can you keep me updated if you can? I might buy it from the site if it works well for you, what kind of descent are you?? yea I suppose you have moderate oily skin too? from being asian??

I've been using Clinique's Even Skin Tone corrector in addition to Dan's AHA+, and they've been working GREAT for me. I see visible results in a couple days. It doesn't FADE in a couple days, but I can see very clear results. I'm Vietnamese with medium olive skin tone as well.

alright, but that has 10% glycolic acid, can you keep me updated if you can? I might buy it from the site if it works well for you, what kind of descent are you?? yea I suppose you have moderate oily skin too? from being asian??

I am Vietnamese with moderate oily skin.

You can check my blog on acne.org. I will post there.

I've been using Clinique's Even Skin Tone corrector in addition to Dan's AHA+, and they've been working GREAT for me. I see visible results in a couple days. It doesn't FADE in a couple days, but I can see very clear results. I'm Vietnamese with medium olive skin tone as well.

That's great! :) Can't wait to get the same result =]

I am Vietnamese with moderate oily skin.

You can check my blog on acne.org. I will post there.

That's great! :) Can't wait to get the same result =]

thanks guys for replying, alright I think I'm going to wait a couple of months with the vitamins and all to see if my red marks improve much. by the i'll decide whether buying dan's AHA is better...

My success is in my regimen, especially the Baking Soda part. Inexpensive. You can try it. If you want everything to be simple, just wash Baking Soda with a few drops of water, make into a paste and rub gently on your face. Afterwhich, you can just add your favourite light moisturiser or do without. You face will still be soft and smooth.

Hey I am asian and hypeprigment really easily. Anyway I started tane over a month ago and its been good for me but it makes my wound healing even more slow so before the hyperpigmentation I get red marks which have to heal first before. Anyway pretane I tried a handful of things:

1. Aloe Vera - Good soother, may help slightly with new red marks (after picking a pimple) by creating a seal to allow the skin to repair. Apart from that I think it is useless in my opinion on just straight up red/brown marks.

2. Neosporin - Similar to aloe vera. Once the skin has healed up and the mark is just there it wont have any use.

3. Meladerm (kojic acid skin lightener) - effective on brown pigmentation but only in the long run after 2-3 months. Natural, if you have time on your hands I dont think you can really go wrong.

4. Palmers Skin success (2% hydroquinone) - Used only for a week whilst on acctuane, no noticeable difference in that time but I was expecting too much. A little greasy so minimal amounts should be used. No irritiation. Cheap has and good reviews.

5. Obagi clear (4% hydroquinone) - Used once only (2 days ago actually) and I am on tane. Very bad idea. Damaged skin badly in one application. Left red visible marks everywhere I appplied. After 2 days of not touching it my skin has gone a bit better but now has left more pigmentation. Good reviews, but in my opinion hydroquinone is really not worth the risk (that day was one of my worst by far in the last few months, I felt so depressed).

6. Jojoba oil - worked well to minimise breakouts for me (or atleast doesnt cause any). Only 2-3 drops for whole face needed, more may cause breakouts. Soothes red marks, anti-inflammatory and definitely makes skin glow a bit more.

7. Glycolic acid home peel - Purchased of ebay. Very dangerous and being asian I caused more damage. Maybe used it incorrectly but I remember trying to be very careful. This was just not worth the risk for me. Maybe better on caucasian skin which doesnt pigment easily.

8. Microdermabrasion - Waste of time and money. I had 3 sessions (although I booked 6 and have still not used the remaining 3 and dont plan on, so wasted money). Absolutely no difference on brown marks, had highest settings in salon (maybe dermatologist microderm would be effective). Marks remained the same and if it didnt work on brown marks, no way it could on red marks. Even though you need 6-12 sessions I should have noticed some difference in 3 sessions. Never will I be so silly and rush into things such as this again.

9. Redoxon Vit C and Zinc tablets - I am sure they made a big difference in woung healing. Since running out I never purchased again, wonder why? Now that im on tane I think I should purchase it again, especially considering wound healing is non-existant!

I still have my meladerm pot left from some months back. I am not sure about the shelf life but am going to use it again as it worked on my old marks. So although a long process I am hoping it will work again! Also using jojoba oil as moisturiser again and hopefully the combo will work better. May also have to order the vit c and zinc tablets again.

I will advice to increase your water intake as it will help in the long run with healing and moisture. Whilst on tane I have realised the red marks dont heal well (I think they require moisture to heal properly).

As for red marks, if they are genuine hyperpigmentation red marks then exfoliation and skin lighteners may work. If they are red due to inflammation/ blood vessels you just gotta let it heal, nothing will help, i guarantee you except time. Its like exfoliating a wound, I mean what you doing ofcourse that aint gonna help, its going to do quite the opposite *duh*.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Patience and time are fundamental and go hand in hand, something I realised in the past few month I didnt really have. I am 100% sure I made the situation FAR worse then it could have been. I sometimes want to beat myself with my grandma's slippers!!! urghh, anyway fellow asians I hope I helped (remember this is just my experience)!

Hey I am asian and hypeprigment really easily. Anyway I started tane over a month ago and its been good for me but it makes my wound healing even more slow so before the hyperpigmentation I get red marks which have to heal first before. Anyway pretane I tried a handful of things:

1. Aloe Vera - Good soother, may help slightly with new red marks (after picking a pimple) by creating a seal to allow the skin to repair. Apart from that I think it is useless in my opinion on just straight up red/brown marks.

2. Neosporin - Similar to aloe vera. Once the skin has healed up and the mark is just there it wont have any use.

3. Meladerm (kojic acid skin lightener) - effective on brown pigmentation but only in the long run after 2-3 months. Natural, if you have time on your hands I dont think you can really go wrong.

4. Palmers Skin success (2% hydroquinone) - Used only for a week whilst on acctuane, no noticeable difference in that time but I was expecting too much. A little greasy so minimal amounts should be used. No irritiation. Cheap has and good reviews.

5. Obagi clear (4% hydroquinone) - Used once only (2 days ago actually) and I am on tane. Very bad idea. Damaged skin badly in one application. Left red visible marks everywhere I appplied. After 2 days of not touching it my skin has gone a bit better but now has left more pigmentation. Good reviews, but in my opinion hydroquinone is really not worth the risk (that day was one of my worst by far in the last few months, I felt so depressed).

6. Jojoba oil - worked well to minimise breakouts for me (or atleast doesnt cause any). Only 2-3 drops for whole face needed, more may cause breakouts. Soothes red marks, anti-inflammatory and definitely makes skin glow a bit more.

7. Glycolic acid home peel - Purchased of ebay. Very dangerous and being asian I caused more damage. Maybe used it incorrectly but I remember trying to be very careful. This was just not worth the risk for me. Maybe better on caucasian skin which doesnt pigment easily.

8. Microdermabrasion - Waste of time and money. I had 3 sessions (although I booked 6 and have still not used the remaining 3 and dont plan on, so wasted money). Absolutely no difference on brown marks, had highest settings in salon (maybe dermatologist microderm would be effective). Marks remained the same and if it didnt work on brown marks, no way it could on red marks. Even though you need 6-12 sessions I should have noticed some difference in 3 sessions. Never will I be so silly and rush into things such as this again.

9. Redoxon Vit C and Zinc tablets - I am sure they made a big difference in woung healing. Since running out I never purchased again, wonder why? Now that im on tane I think I should purchase it again, especially considering wound healing is non-existant!

I still have my meladerm pot left from some months back. I am not sure about the shelf life but am going to use it again as it worked on my old marks. So although a long process I am hoping it will work again! Also using jojoba oil as moisturiser again and hopefully the combo will work better. May also have to order the vit c and zinc tablets again.

I will advice to increase your water intake as it will help in the long run with healing and moisture. Whilst on tane I have realised the red marks dont heal well (I think they require moisture to heal properly).

As for red marks, if they are genuine hyperpigmentation red marks then exfoliation and skin lighteners may work. If they are red due to inflammation/ blood vessels you just gotta let it heal, nothing will help, i guarantee you except time. Its like exfoliating a wound, I mean what you doing ofcourse that aint gonna help, its going to do quite the opposite *duh*.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - Patience and time are fundamental and go hand in hand, something I realised in the past few month I didnt really have. I am 100% sure I made the situation FAR worse then it could have been. I sometimes want to beat myself with my grandma's slippers!!! urghh, anyway fellow asians I hope I helped (remember this is just my experience)!

Thanks sid! Very informative.. I would try a couple of those things if I wasn't on accutane right now.. I'm worried that my skin is too senstive to handle to handle those products

hey tazzor, if i can help anyone with my knowledge then its all worth it!

I think you are very wise for saying that. You are on accutane just like me and we both know how slowly our skin heals and how easily it hyperpigments when on this drug (often just by a mere pinch).

I think in all honesty the best thing (although also the hardest and most patient draining method) is to LEAVE it all alone. Dont touch, pick, pinch and in some circumstances even look at the marks. They WILL not go in 1 day or in 1 week or even in a month in most occasions. I think what WE CAN DO is follow a good diet, and take maybe some supplements that can healing such as vit c and zinc (but only after a good balanced diet). Also drink plenty of water and... nothing else. Thats it, enjoy lif as best as you can. In this day and age its probably true you will get some stares, some people thinking "wtf" and you will come across some dodgy mirrors which wont help, but its the people who can live past that who will be successful the quickest as apposed to the other people who keep pressing the reset button and having to start over. I say this from experience because I was that person and other people I noticed who suffered hyperpigmentation who didnt care now have clear faces whilst I kept tampering. Anyway good luck with what ever you decide to do, I just hope your not on the internet looking for a new fancy cream!

I second that!

And I know it's summer, but stay the hell away from the sun!!! I was in the sun for 1-2 hours and my face already got extremely itchy, got crazy breakouts the morning after... Good luck with ur accutane, Im still 1 1/2 months into it, but I'll keep everyone posted once my IB decides to go away :doubt:

do you guys think that chemical peels will help? i'm going to the dermatologist on july 23rd im gonna ask him if i should get one. I broke out around mayish, and now i use retin-a and it helped me clear up a lot and my skin is a lot smoother. the only complaint i have is the dark spots i have around my jawline. starting school end of september so i want my skin to look better

do you guys think that chemical peels will help? i'm going to the dermatologist on july 23rd im gonna ask him if i should get one. I broke out around mayish, and now i use retin-a and it helped me clear up a lot and my skin is a lot smoother. the only complaint i have is the dark spots i have around my jawline. starting school end of september so i want my skin to look better

I'm not saying chemical peels don't help, I just dont think they will work that great on asian skin tones. The risk is too much, you couold leave alot more hyperpigmentation then you already have. If anything go for a very superficial peel (the one that removes only removes the outermost epidermal layer of the skin). Anything below that will be seen as skin trauma buy your body immune system and will most likely trigger hyperpigmentation (in this case it can be severe). If you have some dark spots you can try skin lighteners but go natural (kojic acid, arbutin etc..). In my opinion just leave it, it will fade in a few months. If you can't wait that long let me tell you even with the use of procedures and creams it most likely will still take some time maybe a month or two less. Why risk anything long term just for a few additional months here or there? Good luck anyway!

ALOE VERA GEL. It works but takes time to heal. If you want to speed up the process looking

into getting a RED LIGHT REJUVENATING device.

I'm not saying chemical peels don't help, I just dont think they will work that great on asian skin tones. The risk is too much, you couold leave alot more hyperpigmentation then you already have. If anything go for a very superficial peel (the one that removes only removes the outermost epidermal layer of the skin). Anything below that will be seen as skin trauma buy your body immune system and will most likely trigger hyperpigmentation (in this case it can be severe). If you have some dark spots you can try skin lighteners but go natural (kojic acid, arbutin etc..). In my opinion just leave it, it will fade in a few months. If you can't wait that long let me tell you even with the use of procedures and creams it most likely will still take some time maybe a month or two less. Why risk anything long term just for a few additional months here or there? Good luck anyway!

thanks for the reply, ya i talked to my dermatologist and he told me the tca peel (400$) won't help to get rid of the red marks , and i should just wait it out and will probably be gone by the end of the year. He said that if i wanted the results i should get laser (which i don't want to do).

On the topic of derms and chemical peels...

I've always wondered why dermatologists don't just give you a treatment that takes away the pimple AS WELL AS the after-maths of it. I used to go to this dermatologist who would always just prescribe me some antibiotics and a topical treatment that would take away pimples amazingly fast...but did NOTHING for PIH's. Then I'd have to go to him AGAIN to take a look at the marks. The last time I went to him, I told him I was worried about scarring, and he took a look and said "You ALREADY have scarring" and did NOTHING to help them except for giving me the same exact antibiotics he gave me when I was 14. Obviously, I stopped going to him because I felt like he was "treating" me for the money, not because he wanted me to have perfect skin (because then he'd lost one return client). Sorry for the rant- just wondering if anyone had similar experieces.

Skin lighteners (kojic acid, hydroquinone) aren't specifically made to get rid of red marks, mainly just to fade the superficial brown pigmentation left after the acne subsides. I used these lighteners and was left with pinkish/red marks after the pigmentation faded away.

Chemical peels are okay, just depends which ones you use. The 35% Fruit Acid Gel from diannayvonne.com is what I used (glycolic acid, puryvic acids and some other AHA's) and which was quite mild a peel for my sensitive skin. The end result was alot less distinct red marks due to frequently applying peels every 6 days or so. I wanted clear skin free of red marks so I wasn't that satisfied, that along with the downtime of my skin constantly scabbing which was embarrassing for school, outings ect.

TCA peels are a bit too harsh if you haven't already used other AHA's. Green Cream helped somewhat with my red marks, but I didn't use it long-term so it wouldn't be fair for me to quote the outcome. I'm ordering some Mama lotion (10% Mandelic Acid, 10% Malic Acid) which is supposed to help fade red/brown marks, improve skin tone and help with acne so I'll see how that goes.

For me Skin i dun think its like red mark i got 1 or 2 acne marks that is kinda black...i using alovera & lime gel to hopefully heal the pigmentation ....marks fast

Ye most dermatologists don't know what they are talking about! We sit on the internet all day researching and could probably sit their exam by now and pass it with a distinction. I remember when I went to my derm and he looked at my hyperpigmentation he goes I can see you have scarring. I was thinking how wrong he was this isn't scarring its PIH (a pseudo scar if anything). Well I know this product that 9/10 will fade your hyperpigmentation but you need to realy be loyal with it (something I find hard) and you will have to be init for the long run. Its called TIME. I seriously think its the best thing to do, just wait it out. More than that if you have acne I would focus on clearing that or if you dont just wait it out. Its such a GAY ASS struggle but we dont really have much choice. Use this time of despair to fix other parts of your life up.

i'm on accutane for 9 weeks now. my acne got severe during my initial breakout. while it settled i began using aveeno ultra calming foaming cleanser and ultra calming daily moisturizer. every other day, i also use md forte III glycolic facial cleanser to exfoliate. with the addition of finally being clear 8 weeks into my course, my red marks are clearing up almost rapidly for 1 week now. and i have some very deep red marks

i think the key to helping red marks heal is:

constant exfoliation to renew skin.

quality moisturizing for repair and healthy skin.

and just give it time and let it heal. instead of worrying about what magical product to use, just use products that are healthyfor your skin like moisturizer! the healthier your skin is, the better it will work to repair red marks.