Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hope12

6th week on accutane...still breaking out?

Hi all! I just joined this website and want to get support/offer support to others suffering from acne!!

I am 23 years old and have always dealt with very mild breakouts until this year. My face really started breaking out in March and in May, my back exploded as well. This is when I decided to bite the bullet and go on accutane. I started on June 5th. I would say I have moderate acne but the decision to start accutane was easy. My brother was on it in highschool and it really worked for him and I just simply don't want to deal with breaking out anymore!!

I am almost done with my 6th week and it has been very up and down thus far. I am still breaking out a lot and I feel like it has actually gotten worse. I expected an IB for a few weeks but was hopeful that I would be on my way to clear skin by now. My side effects have been tolerable so I am thankful for that. I of course have dry lips/peeling around the mouth but I would say my most intense side effect is dry eyes/tiredness.

What are the experiences of you all?

Thanks all!

Catherine

hey Catherine...my only advice to you is to be patient. 6 weeks into your treatment is still VERY early in the process. In my opinion, only a very small percentage of accutane users see significant improvement within the first 2 months. I'd say a more realistic expectation would be to see improvement by month three...

fiasco is right, this friday will be 8 weeks for me, and its just now starting to get better I HOPE. I would wait at least 3 months before you can judge accutane fairly.

My experience was that my skin got really good right away and stayed that way for about a month. Then right about 6 weeks (where you are now) it got really, really awful! Now I am about a week into month 3 and things are looking up for me again. I only have 4 big cysts and the rest is looking pretty good. Every case is different, I read a lot of these Accutane journals to get a feel for what to expect. Good luck on your course!