Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I recently bought a copy of Feeling Good:The New Mood Therapy, which basically is a book about cognitive psychology. It includes a copy of a depression checklist developed by the author David D. Burns (MD), which I thought I'd share. Acne and depression seem to go together, so I thought some people might appreciate it. Now, keep in mind I'm not advocating its accuracy, but here it is for anyone who would like to use it.

For each of the symptoms listed choose a rating (There are 25 items)

Not At All = 0

Somewhat = 1

Moderately = 2

A Lot = 3

Extremely = 4

Thoughts and Feelings

1. Feeling sad or down in the dumps 6. Low self-esteem

2. Feeling unhappy or blue 7. Feeling worthless or inadequate

3. Crying spells or tearfulness 8. Guilt or shame

4.Feeling discouraged 9.Criticizing yourself or blaming yourself

5. Feeling hopeless 10.Difficulty making decisions

Activities and Personal Relationships

11. Loss of interest in family, friends or colleagues

12. Loneliness

13. Spending less time with family or friends

14. Loss of motivation

15. Loss of interest in work or other activities (okay 10 more left)

16. Avoiding work or other activities

17. Loss of pleasure or satisfacation in life

Physical Symptoms

18. Feeling tired

19.Difficulty sleeping or sleeping too much

20. Decreased or increased appetite

21. Loss of interest in Sex

22. Worrying about you health

Suicidal Urges

23. Do you have any suicidal thoughts?

24. Would you like to end your life?

25. Do you have a plan for harming yourself?

Now by using the numbers beside each rating, total your score

0-5 = No depression

6-10= normal but unhappy

11-25 = mild depression

26-50 = moderate depression

51-75 = severe depression

76-100= extreme depression.

All but 17-22 apply to me atleast somewhat. They're not all a result of depression though. I found it difficult to apply a numerical value to each, but I came up with 51, which apparently means I'm severely depressed. Don't really agree with that, maybe at times though.

Yuck. I scored a 67.. I have been getting really depressed latley, but I know that it will go aways soon. I woke up crying really bad this morning for no reason, and seriously considered stopping my acutain. Any advice. I have quit speaking with any friends... and I am normally a really social person.

Here's some more info from the book for all interested parties

Every bad feeling you have is the result of your distorted negative thinking. Every time you feel depressed about something, try to identify a corresponding negative thought you had just prior to and during the depression. If your perception is twisted and distorted in some way, your emotional response will be abnormal. The most common cognitive (thinking) distortions include

1. All or Nothing Thinking

You see things in black and white categories. If your performance falls short of perfect, you see yourself as a total failure.

2. Overgeneralization

You see a single negative event as a never-ending pattern of defeat.

3. Mental Filter

You pick out a single negative detail and dwell on it exclusively so that your vision of all reality becomes darkened, like the drop of ink that colours the entire beaker of water.

4.Disqualifying the Positive

You reject positive experiences by insisting they "don't count" for some reason or other. In this way you can maintain a negative belief that is contradicted by your everday experiences.

5. Jumping to Conclusions

You make a negative interpretation even though there are no definite facts that convincingly support your conclusion.

A)Mind Reading: You arbitrarily conclude thaat someone is reacting to you negatively, and you don't bother to check this out.

B)The Fortune Teller Error: You anticipate that things will turn out badly, and you feel convinced that your prediction is an already-established fact.

Emotional Reasoning: You assume that your negative emotions necessarily reflect the way things really are; 'I feel it, therefore it must be true'

Should Statements

You try to motivate yourself with shoulds and shouldn'ts, as if you had to be punished before you will do anything The emotional consequence is guilt.

Labelling and Mislabelling

This is an extreme form of overgeneraliztion. Instead of describing your error you attach a negative label to yourself or the person who your fustration is dirested toward. For example, I'm a fool or He's a goddamn louse.

Personalization

You see yourself as the causse of some negative external event which in fact you were not primarily responsible for.

I have to memorize these, so that was helpful.

Guest Crooked I

Thats good info, but what does it say about getting over these feelings?

Thanks for the info.. Yuck, I have been doing most of those things latley.. Its either great or bad no in between.

Hey Crooked I

Yes it does, but I was sick of typing, so I figured I'd add them in later, sorry for leaving you hanging.

1. Talk back to your internal critic. A sense of worthlessness is created by your internal self-critical dialogue. It is self degrasding statements, such as 'I'm no damn good' , 'I'm ugly' etc. that create and feed your feelings of despair and poor self-esteem. In order to overcome this bad mental habit you need to do three things

a) Train yourself to recognize and write down the self-critical thoughts as they go through your mind

b)Learn why these thoughts are distored; and

c) Practice talking back to them so as to develop a more realistic self-evaluation system.

The Triple Column

Take 15 minutes out of everyday to write down the negative thoughts that run through your mind, identify the cognitive distortions that are creating your negative thoughts, and develop a rational response. For example...

1.Automatic Thought: I never do anything right

Cogitive Distortion: Overgeneralization

Rational Response: Non-sense I do a lot of things right.

Keep in mind that one thought can be a combination of cognitive distortions.

cant say im shocked really, I am on anti-depressants and seeing a psych atm. Maybe I would have been even higher a few months ago, not that i feel the treatment is helping much.

I just wish i would wake up one day (tomorrow hopefully) and my skin would be perfect; then i would score 0

Guest Brandon

I just took this test again to see how i'm doing compared to then...and my old score of 40 seems like bliss to the 80 I just scored.

I scored a 60 but I don't consider myself severely depressed. I would consider myself more moderatley depressed but it comes and goes. Some days I don't really feel depressed at all but others are pretty bad.

Guest Brandon
I scored a 60 but I don't consider myself severely depressed.  I would consider myself more moderatley depressed but it comes and goes.  Some days I don't really feel depressed at all but others are pretty bad.

hm 73, not overally surprising, although how can you fairly judge your own attitudes?

I'm pretty sure I'm depressed, I've taken that test before and scored quite well (poorly?). However, I think living without medication is better than being drugged up on things doctors don't entirely understand.

I went on anti-depressants for about 8 months, and during that period, I thought about killing myself more than I ever have, and I got pretty close to following through; I had a plan and was executing it.

I came off the drugs for about a week, and things hadn't changed very much, so the doctor immediately wanted to put me on a couple new drugs, one with very addictive qualities. That's when I stopped seeing him. He didn't even give 'no treatment' a chance. I really wish doctors would consider it, instead of playing with people's brain chemistries like they were a fourth grade science project.

And I don't see how an addictive prescription drug that makes you feel better instantly ("happy pills") is any different from heroin or any other illegal drug. The only difference is the dealer: one is some guy on the street, the other is your doctor/pharmacist.

Since I stopped taking the drugs, I haven't had any suicidal thoughts even close to the extremes I had before. I think I just need therapy to talk my problems out (kind of like this board).

I scored 55, which surprised me. As I was writing down my numbers, I kept thinking, uh oh this is gonna be high, another 3! another 4! :redface2: . I scored higher on questions like missing activities. My birthday`s tomorrow, and I don`t even want to go out anywhere with my friends, and I know they`ll want to take me clubbing. I don`t want my ex-bf, who is a dj, to see me. sux

I scored 55, which surprised me. As I was writing down my numbers, I kept thinking, uh oh this is gonna be high, another 3! another 4!  :redface2: . I scored higher on questions like missing activities. My birthday`s tomorrow, and I don`t even want to go out anywhere with my friends, and I know they`ll want to take me clubbing. I don`t want my ex-bf, who is a dj, to see me. sux