Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PoppyPoo

10 year struggle with adult acne

Hi there. I've just registered today, although I've browsed the boards a few times over the past year.

I'm a 33 year old female and started suffering with mild to moderate acne after I gave birth to my first child 10 years ago to the day. I had not suffered with acne during my teens and I assumed that it would clear up after my postpartum hormones calmed down.

Unfortunately it didn't happen and I spent 5 years suffering in silence and becoming more and more depressed about it until I fell pregnant with my 2nd child when my skin cleared right up and was as lovely as 5 years before. However, as soon as I had given birth, the acne broke out again.

After a while I decided that I should visit my GP and I was prescribed Dianette (oral contraceptive known to work well on acne). The results were amazing. I noticed changes within a week and within a couple of weeks my skin was clear.

I was advised to stop after 6 months due to high risk of DVT and I started taking a different pill called Yasmin but lo and behold, my skin broke out in acne again. I went back on Dianette for 6 months and when I tried to stop again, my skin was awful. I ended up taking it for over 2 years but despite my lovely clear skin it caused dreadful depression and during the period I was on it I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

When I stopped taking it the last time (xmas 2007), I was supplied with a topical antibiotic solution which seemed to keep it under control for a couple of weeks and then I flared up as bad as before. I tried it for 6 months as suggested by my GP but it hasn't worked.

2 weeks ago I was prescribed oral antibiotics but they have given me terrible diaorreah and have made me feel very lethargic so I have stopped taking them.

Ironically I had an appointment with my GP today and it is my daughter's 10th birthday - so 10 years to the day since my relationship with acne began. I have now been prescribed Acnamino MR 100mg once a day capsules and I am hoping they will work. I took my first one today.

If not, I know it sounds crazy but I am so sick of my face feeling swollen and disgusting that I am tempted to go back on the Dianette for a while just to get a break from it.

Please feel free to add you thoughts.

Xx

In the past 10 years, have you used products with benzyl peroxide, any retanoids like Retina A, or Differin?

Have you also used over the counter products that contain harsh chemicals like this? Things like salicylic acid, or other AHA's?? Clearasel prodcuts and stuff?

Because maybe you got the acne because of hormone's, but then once introducing all these harsh chemical washes, and topical creams your skin never had a chance to reach equilibrium. I believe that if you start throwing all kinds of chemicals on your skin, even if the hormone imbalance goes away, your skin is damaged from the treatment methods that so commonly use really harsh chemicals. If you aren't pregnant, I would stop all the anti biotics, and any creams or over the counter harsh chemicals your using. I would just use a very very mile cleanser like Cetaphil, or even a all natural one like Dr. Bronner's. I would only wash twice a day, just like a normal person.

You may break out initially, possibly even for a month. But i think once your skin readjusts, and let your bodies natural immune system take care of the acne, it may work.

I am so sorry to hear your struggle.

I have had great skin most of my life and exactly one year ago my skin went absolutely crazy. I was 26 at the time and had gotten of birth control after being on it for 10 years, 6 months earlier. About three months after getting off the pill my thyroid decided to stop working and I became hypothyroid. When I started my synthroid and my hormones began to work again-my skin got worse and worse.

I tried antibiotics, topicals, god knows how much I spent on "cures" Finally February this year I knew I didn't care about all the side effects that came with accutane-I marched into my derms office and said "let's beat this acne" I am now finishing my fifth month of accutane and I am going one more month to help with the red scarring.

Accutane has been worth every side effect. I can look at my boyfriend without make up now. I don't have confidence issues like I did for the past year.

If you are planning on having any more children in the near future I would really recommend getting on accutane and killing your stubborn acne once and for all! 10 years has been way to long to suffer! Good luck!

You had struggled with adult acne for 10 years. I had it for 21 years!! I know completely how you feel, REALLY! But I am pretty happy with my current regimen now, especially the baking soda part. Hope you can try it too. Use a teaspoon of baking soda (NOT BAKING POWDER) with a few drops of water and rub GENTLY on your face. About 20-30 seconds, wash it off. I feel my face soft and smooth and the scar marks got lighten too. As for the acne, I'm still having it (about 4 on my face now), but it's getting better now (only 1 XL size, the others are S size). I hope I can have completely clear skin soon.

Hi there! I'm so extremely sorry to hear about your case! I know how you feel. I've been sufferering for 12 years now and have just made the move that I cannot take this acne anymore and have decided to get on accutane. I start in 3 weeks. There are treatments out there that do work but some come with a risk. Hopefully you find the right one for you! Just know there are treatments available so you dont have to suffer from this any longer!

it sounds like its been really heavy for you. I guess one thing i have learned from this site is how overly positive people are! so here goes....

remember one thing. you have 2 children to be thankful for, every time you feel sad about your face, look across at them and look at how amazing the gift that you have is and i am sure that it will help to ease the pain. some people would take a million years and a million times worse acne to get but one child to call their own, so you have something to focus on i guess and to be thakful for.

I guess it doesnt help the acne! so... here is something i have been thinking recently. I am 27 and i have had perfect skin until Feb this year when i totally for some unknown reason got moderate acne overnight. the sick part is that the red marks take 3 or 4 months to heal! so i look ridiculous. im on antibiotics now tetralysal 300 - which probably wont work... and last night i just though - fu*k this. im too old and too busy to put up with this ridiculous situation any longer. Im going to speak to my doctor and demand accutane. Being a man in the UK in his late 20's my life used to consist of heavy stress from acne/work, heavy binge drinking on the weekend and a crappy diet... ive cleared all that out now and i dont drink at all, i eat a perfect balanced diet and run/gym every night. i figure that now my body is getting healthy treatment and there is no drink and junk going into my system... there is room for accutane! Im going to get on it and get this cleared out.

for me, the side effects are nothing compared to the feeling of waking up every morning and wishing that you hadnt.

so get accutane, and get it sorted... thats what im going to do.

and if my doctor says no... im going to buy it online and treat myself. i have a degree in pharmagology so i know how it works and what to expect. :)

like i said, anything is better than waking up every morning and wishing that you hadnt.

i hope you find peace.

Thanks so much everyone for the positive and heart-warming replies. I thought I had subscribed to my thread for email updates on replies and when I didn't get any emails assumed I had no replies. Duh! So apologies for the late reply.

Well it's been about 6 wks since I started on the Acnamino MR 100mg a day and it's kept the situation under control but has not any where near cleared it up. I'm going to ask my GP this week about doubling the dose as others on this forum have said that's worked for them.

In answer to blazenarrow, I have never used any products like that. Because of my very sensitive skin I only ever used warm water to wash my face and mosturized with Organic Aloe Vera Gel. I did that for years with no problems until my hormones started off the acne.

At my last visit to the GP she advised me to start using a soap free gentle face wash twice a day which I started doing over a month ago with Simple face wash. I have slightly improved over the past 6 wks but don't know if it's due to the face wash, the antibiotics or both.

What is accutane? Apologies for my ignorance.

Thanks again for all your kind and detailed replies.

Xx

I had acne for 30 years. Diet and supplements are what cleared my skin after so many years of prescription antibiotics, topicals and accutane did nothing.

Since you say you have Chronic Fatigue, I think you should consider allergies and food intolerances. Have you tried avoiding grains and dairy, two of the most common foods people have can't digest? Have you considered Celiac disease? Also, there are two types of allergies, immediate response reactions and delayed response. Immediate reactions are the things people usually think of, like rashes, swelling, life threatening things like throat closing, etc. Delayed reactions can cause acne, headache, fatigue, and most of the things doctors never find a cause for and frequently tell people there's nothing wrong. It's very hard to find out information on the second type and even harder to get tested for them. But the cysts I used to get turned out to be caused by this type of allergy to citrus. For more info, see this thread:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/IgE-vs-Ig...html&hl=IgG

I had acne for 30 years. Diet and supplements are what cleared my skin after so many years of prescription antibiotics, topicals and accutane did nothing.

Since you say you have Chronic Fatigue, I think you should consider allergies and food intolerances. Have you tried avoiding grains and dairy, two of the most common foods people have difficulty digest? Have you considered Celiac disease. Also, there are two types of allergies, immediate response reactions and delayed response. Immediate reactions are the things people usually think of, like rashes, swelling, life threataning things like throat closing, etc. Delayed reactions can cause acne, headache, fatigue, and most of the things doctors never find a cause for and frequently tell people there's nothing wrong. It's very hard to find out information on the second type and even harder to get tested for them. But my cystic acne turned out to be caused by this type of allergy to citrus. For more info, see this thread:

Hi. The CFS and depression was caused by the Dianette which I stopped taking 8 months ago. I lead quite a healthy lifestyle. This is how I know that the problem is purely hormonal. My first outbreak started after giving birth to my first child. It cleared up during my 2nd pregnancy and came back after I gave birth again. The hormonal treatment worked but it is not advised to stay on it for more than 6 months because of increased DVT risk. And as mentioned earlier it was causing me (as it has caused many others) CFS and depression. My new regime and the antibiotics seem to be keeping it under control now but not clearing it up so I am going to ask my GP if I should increase the daily dose as 200mg seems to work well for a lot of people.

Hey ya'all, its good to hear that we arent the only ones 'suffering'. I am now 27, and have had acne since I was 14, it seems to have gotten worse....Lately I have had a huge breakout, I was taking Doxycycline tablets but ran out and boy did I know it, really bad ingrown hairs which caused huge craters on my jaw line and one side of my face, it has been a depressing week I tell you!

I love this board because we can all get together and support each other, though I do see alot of negativity on the boards...I think we have to try and think fo the future when we WILL have CLEAR skin and not dewell on NOW, as it only depresses one!!!

I hope ur skin clears up Poppypoo, do u have any photos to show us?

Trent