Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
soybear

moisturizers & foundation while on accutane

i need help! i am 6 days into my second course of accutane (i took my first course over 8 years ago) and my facial skin is SO dry since starting again. i used to use DDF Ultra-Lite Oil Free Moisturizing Dew & bare minerals foundation, but these products simply do not work with my newly dry skin.

since starting the accutane, i have tried Olay Complete SPF 15 (NOT even close to strong enough), Caudalie Vinosource Riche Anti-Wrinkle Ultra Nourishing Cream (stronger but not strong enough), and La Roche-Posay Nutritc 5% (strongest, but also greasy and still not strong enough). i have not tried cetaphil because this was not moisturizing enough when i was on retin-a prior to beginning accutane, so i hardly think it will combat the excessive dryness & flakiness associated with acctuane. i am using Aquaphor on my lips & ears (hah!), and Kiehls Creme de Corps as body lotion.

**can anyone suggest a super (read: ridiculously) strong facial moisturizer that is oil-free, hypo-allergenic, & non-comedongenic?**

for make-up i currently use the bare minerals primer & foundation, but this is much too drying now. **does anyone have any suggestions for an oil-free, hypo-allergenic, non-comedongenic foundation?** i am very fair-skinned, so most drug store brands do not have shades light enough for my skin (the lightest shade of bare minerals is a bit too dark & so is clinique's lightest shade, to give you an idea).

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!

I actually have a dry issue as well. My skin was so dry and flaky that using tinted moisturizer flaked off. I called a Mary Kay lady I know and she got me their INTENSE moisturizer. It actually comes in a tub and is quite thick. I apply it only at night and it seems to work. The other moisturizer that I like is Eucerin. There is also a cream form of this in a tub. Haven't used it on my face, but I bet there is one specifically for the face as well.

I haven't started accutane yet but I have ordered some makeup from BeautiControl. I will let you know how it works on my skin once I receive it and when I start accutane. A couple of girls I work with use it and love it. Their make up is non-comedogenic.

I like the Zia brand of moisturizer. I found it at Whole Foods. Expensive, but it works well. Also, someone on another board told me this trick:

Put a good moisturizer on. Then slather your face with aquafore or Vaseline (At night, obviously). And then sleep that way. When I get up in the morning I take a shower, and leave it on thru most of the shower, then wash gently with Purpose cleanser. I just put it on my face and wash it right off, I dont rub it in or anything. As soon as I get out of the shower, I dont dry my face, I just put some lotion on while my skin is still damp. I put another round of lotion on and let that soak in a little bit later. Then I put my makeup on. I've really noticed the flakiness of my skin getting better.

I'll admit, my pillowcase gets kind of icky (I change mine every other night), but it really does work well.

As for makeup: Bare minerals dried me out horribly too. I tried Everyday Minerals. I originally got their "matte" finish because my skin is usually oily. It made my skin flakey. So then I tried the "Original Glow" finish, and it works fantastic. I have light skin as well, and this makeup really looks natural. You can order a sample kit for free, you just pay shipping....so you can find a good combination to match your skin.

I hope this helps!!!

thank you soo much for your help!! i am currently using cerave moisturizing lotion & cream and it seems to be working well (although i have to apply a TON)... i'm going to have to try those foundations though - have yet to find a good one!

Try Azulene cream by Dr. Grandel (look online). It s the ONLY thing that works for me!!! As for makeup. Clinique powder, not the almost powder makeup, but just the powder. You could also apply with a kabuki brush! Use a new sponge every day! Espicially while your are OFF of accutane. Say goodbye to foundation!!!

I really like Shiseido makeup foundation, I buy it at the mall makeup counter. I use the dual balancing liquid foundation which is very light and can be layered to provide as little or as much coverage as you need. I just shake the bottle and pour a little bit onto my clean fingertips and smooth all over my face. I also use their oil absorbing pressed powder to set the foundation, but that is going to be too drying while I'm on accutane (I start my second course in a few weeks). So I think I'm going to try their Enriched Loose Powder which contains moisturizing ingredients. The reason I tried this brand of makeup is because of their color selection. The product line is geared toward asian complexions, so it runs a little more on the pale/yellow side rather than orangey. I'm not asian, but I find that a yellower-based shade complements my skin color better than most makeup brands I've tried. However, I do not like their facewash and moisturizer products, they tend to leave a weird residue on my face. But I've been using their makeup for over a year now with no problems.