Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jamie10

Isolagen- best treatment?

Hey everyone smile.gif

I was strongly considering getting isolagen done. It costs £2500 to get the biopsy and three injections. After that injections cost £500. I have heard amazing results with this technique. There are a couple things that are holding me back though:

1) the cost (I'd have to borrow the money)

2) If a new treatment comes out, better, I would feel as though I wasted money. Do you reckon this will be the best method around for a long time?

I have to say though it would give me SUCH a good piece of mind knowing that I had my skin cells there for the rest of my life, ready to help with any scarring or unwanted wrinkles in the future. Although I am a guy, and scarring is a killer compared to wrinkles...

Just wanted your thoughts...

I am currently recieving treatment with N-lite and some subcision. This take ages though to go through the process, with not too good results. I am also concerned about new scarring (after accutane). I would like to have isolagen there to treat any type of scarring.....

all right jamie,

I think the problem with fillers is there will always be something better in a couple of years. This is because there is a lot of money in it.

For instance at this moment in time I think the best treatment for scarring is the permanent filler Aquamid. However its permanent and you'll just be kicking yourself in 10 years time when there are much better fillers. But we are alive now and want improvement now, not when we are old. So its a cruel decision to have to make.

I may be mistaken but I thought I read someone on this site who has been having isolagen treatment and reporting improvement like 10%. Well 10% is lame and worth little money.

I read a lot of info on isolagen at the following website.

http://www.cosmeticsurgery-news.com/article2096.html

I had a 50-60% improvment just before my 3rd set of injections that I had yesterday but i'm still too swolen to see how things are going at the moment. Apparently I should expect to see continual improvement for at least 6 months after my 3rd injection!

basically, I strongly recommend Isolagen, epesially coupled with n-lite and subcision. I also strongly recommend Dr. Chu, he's the best! smile.gif

2500 is alot, but for me, its worth it.

--CS

Hi crappyskin,

god I hate saying that. I'd much prefer to refer to someone by their name rather than a username which has connotations of defeat. Though this obviously isn't the case. 50-60% improvement is good considering how limited scar revision is (in my opinion anyway).

I remember reading about your £2500 all in deal with Dr Chu. Personnally I think it sounded like good value for money. Correct me if I'm wrong. For that you get subcision, nlite and a load of isolagen. In London as well. £2500 sounds a good deal to me.

I know you've probably written this before crappyskin but could you maybe write us a few lines on your experiences with Dr Chu. For instance how much subcision did you have? Are you going to have more subcision with him? Did you then have the nlite? How many sessions of this did you have? Were there any bad side effects with nlite like red pigmentation issues? One thing I don't understand is why you have nlite and then isolagen. Nlite causes the skin to produce collagen right? And isolagen is putting your own collagen back in. So why not have one or the other? Is the idea to to have both to get the maximum effect. If you don't mind dropping a line about this I'd be grateful.

Pleased everything is working out for you.

Hi Jamie,

To be brief, I think you should proceed with isolagen. Its unlike other fillers because it involves your own cells, which you stated. With that in mind, and since you cannot have any adverse reactions to the injection of your own cells, you wouldn't be jeopardizing yourself if something better did come along--I wouldn't worry about that --can't get better than your own cells. Just not worth going any other route, especially if you are young. You don't want the risk of possible lumps/bumps say 5-10-15 years down the road. Yes it is alot of money, but the best treatment shouldn't be cheap.

Good Luck

hi all

isolagen is in Ireland!! biggrin.gif/ oncwe i pay bacy my laser resurfacing loan i will definently try and ger this procedure done.

wish smoothbeam would come also........ [-o<

molly

jamie - I think max is commenting on the artifical fillers ... like silicon etc.. some people have experienced the filler either moving or lumping up under the skin.

Isolagen has limited risks, since it is from your own cells.

I am not a fan of fillers but Isolagen is the only one I would consider coz it seems so natural.

I am happy with the results (5th set of injections about 2 weeks ago). I would say an overall improvement of about 50%. I've tried various treatments in the past e.g. CO2. If I had to start all over again, I'd go for subcision then Isolagen.

Dr Chu's package is very good value for money. The n-lite and subcision are to enhance the results of Isolagen and subcision also breaks down fibres tethering the scars down. I've seen various drs in my time and spent a lot of money. Dr Chu is professional, compassionate and a nice person.

However, you must bear in mind that everbody is different. What worked for me might not work for you. It's a lot of money and with everything you buy, there is always something new around the corner.

Also, Isolagen won't work miracles. I don't think anything will eradicate scars completely and make you look like you have perfect skin. Isolagen will improve scars - you need to manage your expectations.

Well Isoalgen is as good as any of these big shot treatments. I'd say that its great for skin quality and it will soften up the look of your skin, but I still have visible scarring, it just doesn't seem to be anywhere near 50-60% improvement for me, maybe around 20%. I'm now 5 months post my last injection and I had 5 sets of injections altogether.

I'm now considering more light laser resurfacing, but I'm willing to give Isolagen anoter try if it turns out I've just got slow growing skin cells rather than Isolagen not working.

Be careful though, as with all scar revision techniques 50% improvement from the doctor's viewpoint may only be around 10-20% from yours.

you can`t get lumps and bumps with isologen because its impossible to overcorrect. Your collegen grows to the point where it should be before the scarring occured. I think it would work to near perfection for people with distended scars that are basically depressions in the skin with no actual skin differentation other than depth

I have been receiving Isolagen treatment for the past nine months. During that time I have let the Isolagen rep in London know that I am not very happy with my results.

I received my fifth set of Isoalgen on March 9.

Two days after my treatment. I was later surfing through the Washington DC acne scar support web page when I found a post from Maya, which had a UK doctor’s aftercare suggestions for Isoalgen. I couldn’t believe it. Dr Chu never told me any of this.

The suggestions were no vitamin e, no saunas, no exercise and no smoking or alcohol for 48 hours after treatment. Well the last two are obvious but other three??? I freaked out. Maybe this is why my treatment was not going as planned? I do sweaty yoga and take a multi-vitamin with vitamin e.

I notified Dr Chu and Isoalgen. They both said these were not their words and it was ok to have a sauna, exercise and take vitamin e.

I then had another detailed conversation about my progress or the lack thereof, when Isolagen rep Bob Sexauer agreed to meet me in person! So I took off work on Friday and went to the lab in North Acton.

My mission: to try to get Isolagen to understand the emotional damage caused by scars so Isolagen would be more understanding with scar patients (they may need more than five injections). Can isolagen be improved for scar patients? Also to discuss why I am not seeing great results.

During the meeting I showed Bob an article from the UK Tabloid the Sun about Mark Sheep’s death. The article says Mark was “brilliant� (he did extremely well on his A levels) but his acne and scars caused him to commit suicide. I also took before and after pictures of me.

I also talked about this board, and how desperate we are for help and how much we have spent and often times wasted on treatments. I also talked about my own personal frustrations and the issues I deal with it every second of the day.

Bob showed me the lab, I met some scientists and it was really interesting.

Then we sat down and discussed acne scars in more detail. I talked about my previous treatments and then for about five minutes I couldn’t stop talking about how horrible it is to live with scars.

We were sitting in a lecture type room and was really quiet. I remember saying, “ It is so frustrating because there is nothing I did to be put in this position. It is not because I ate too much, drank too much, didn’t exercise enough or whatever that I have these scars BUT rather because somewhere down the line medicine has failed me. Whether it be the doctors, the medicine they prescribed, or both. I can’t help but feel a victim and I don’t want to be.�

And after that I was quite embarrassed. I have never said those thoughts out loud. Why?? Because they are such weak thoughts, but I couldn’t help it.

I was sitting with the makers of a product that I thought would change my life and it hasn’t.

I wanted Isolagen to know that I am sick of trying to improve my scars. I am sick of cancelling social occasions because I am swollen or have injection marks all over my face. I am fed up. AHHH!!!

Woe is me, right???

After I calmed down I realised what Isolagen is: a company that improves skin not erases scars.

I admit after visting Isolagen my thoughts about the procedure have changed. Isoalgen has worked on me, just not to the extent I wanted it to.

I was shown pictures of scar and wrinkle patients and guess what? Even the “after� pictures still have scars and wrinkles.

Bob Sexauer, the rep, has had Isoalgen done and guess what?? He still has very noticeable lines across his forehead but they are much less severe than before.

It made me realise that I am expecting more than Isolagen can deliver with five treatments.

I am seeing results and to some people maybe they would be a 50% improvement but the results are not good enough for me. I can’t help it, but I am not satisfied and why should I be?

However, for the amount of improvement some patients are getting from Isoalgen, combined with subscision, I believe it is the safest option yielding results and would recommend it for that reason. Just don’t expect perfection but rather expect all your scars to still be there, but improved.

Perhaps if I were seeing my results immediately after first being injected my view of Isolagen would be different. It has been nine months since my firs injection so there is no “wow� factor.

Also I would recommend people get subcision prior to Isolagen and then subcision with the Isoalgen injections as recommended.

Why?? In my opinion, subcision produces great results. I think preparing the skin through subcision before Isolagen will create a better canvas for injections. Just my thoughts. I am not a doctor.

I am going to continue to get subcision probably two or three more sets. I have had three sets done in conjunction with Isolagen.

I am also going to get another set of Isolagen so this will be my sixth set.

I also think using a resurfacing procedure like dermabrasion or laser could be a really good treatment after Isoalgen.

I am considering it but again I am very afraid of theses procedures because they could go horribly wrong. Isolagen plumps up the skin and fills in the scars but you are sill left with rough edges. A resurfacing technique could definetley help, but is it worth it?? I don’ know.

The good news is that Bob confirmed scar patients probably need at least five treatments and maybe more. This is the recommendation going forward not three (however three has worked for some).

I asked if Isolagen could be improved and he said they are working on improving the technique doctors use to insert the injections. Will this yield better results?? We will have to wait and see.

I guess the UK and Australian patients are in many ways guinea pigs for this product and perhaps once it hits the States it will be improved because will be a lot more dollars there to invest in improving the existing technology. The company is still paying off research costs. I don’t know if is had turned a profit yet.

I hope this helps

heidi

heidi - thank you so much for putting so much detail into your post. Scar revision is so frustrating ... especially when we put our faith in a procedrue that doesn't come up with the goods.

I'm so sorry that you are not getting good results. But it's good that you got the Isolagen rep to admit that people are likely to need more than 5 sets of injections. Considering the standard cost is £2,500 for 3 sets ... and I belive another £500-£800 for each extra set of injections, it does seem like an amazing amount of money down the drain when it doesn't work.

When I originally saw Dr Chu (1st appointment) he said my scars were too bad for Isolagen (at least he was honest!) he felt I would be wasting my money and that Isolagen was mainly for people with rougher skin tones, perhaps as a result of previous resurfacing procedures ... he also suggested that Isoalgen would work for rolling scars becasue it plumps up the skin ... but would do very little for ice pick type scars. He did also say that Isolagen alone was not that effective, it had to be combined with other procedures like subcision.

Yes, you are totally right, Isolagen will improve the skin overall but may not have too great effect on scarring, especially if the scarring is bad.

Take care

Maya

Well reading your post Heidi was pretty gutting. sad.gif I'd already got it in my head that I would see Dr Chu for subcision followed by isolagen & hopefully some nlite thrown in as well.

the results are not good enough for me. I can’t help it, but I am not satisfied and why should I be?

I should clarify.

Dont get me wrong my scars have improved and like I said, maybe some people woud say by 50%, but for me that is not good enough. I want more and this is why I will keep seeking treatment. Maybe six sets will produce better results and with more subcision maybe I will be happy. who knows.

Dr chu said I had "good" improvement but good is not good enough for me. I am just being honest I am sorry if this puts anyone off. That is not what I want at all.

Please dont go away thinking Isoalgen is not effective. That is not the case.

I have a high standard and I wont compromise until I find the right combination of treatments that produce a "good" result in my opinion.

Would I do Isolagen again? Yes. Was it worth it? Yes.

Why?? because it is bringing me closer to where I want to be and without any horrible side effects. it is a safe option.

BTW, I have rolling and boxcar scars .

Rupert: Please dont feel gutted. Isolagen will improve your skin but it is not the end all of all treatments AND it is very scar specific. It will produce greater results for rolling and boxcar scars but not ice pick.

Heidi, I know exactly what you mean about not being happy enough with the results of your isolagen treatments so far.

My scarring is probably considered quite superficial however in my mind I have expectations of how I want my skin to be after treatment. And the problem starts with the fact that I want my skin to be as it was before acne, which is just not possible now. I have to deal with that...And hopefully move on.

I'm hoping to start scar treatments at the end of the year and I'm also hoping to drop my expectations and try and settle for at most 50% improvement.

I don't know how bad everyone else's scarring is on this board but I do know that the face I see looking at me in the mirror every day upsets me. My scarring may be minimal to other people, ie friends and family, however to me they are large chasms of lines and pits. I also know that I need to address the way I see myself and the severity of the problem first.

Good luck to you Heidi and I hope you find success with isolagen and other treatments.

I think any improvement is worth the money biggrin.gif

Hi Heidi,

That was a beautiful & informative post and I can certainly here your pain which all of us here can empathsise with.

In my opinion, you are very entitled to feel disapointed with Isolagen as the Company through its marketing department gave us all the expectation to expect great results. It never ceases to amaze me how people think that acne scars are so easy to get rid of. In our local paper here in Sydney Australia, two weeks ago their was an article on Isolagen and the article said how a quick thirty minute visit to the surgeon in your lunch hour and you can get rid of ance scarring for life. What a load of rubbish. Non scarred people probably read this and think oh man if I was him I would just do that and get rid of them -- they don't know the half of it. These people their marketing departments they prey on people as it relates to their looks and people are desperate. The Company will be glad if they change it from five to ten injections but are they going to reduce the cost. I don't think people would be so up in arms about Isolagen if they hadn't of made it out to bring you back to "normal" or if it wasn't so expensive. It is $8,800 AUD for 5 injections here in Australia. For three it is approx $6,000 AUD, $3,600 to grow the cells in the Lab and $2,200 for the surgeon for three sets.

Eight months ago I went to my Surgeon in Sydney to try Isolagen and the first thing he said was no as a) it was not proven and b) the photos were doctored to his trained eye. He was actually giving a seminar about doctored photos the week after so he showed me how the angles were different. He said he could take two photos of me today and show like a before and After with great improvement.

Heidi, I am so glad you made a point of how this condition effects our lives to the company and sharing your experiences with us.

Lets not forget that marketing in general is just a load of old balls. Thats the reason I found this site in the first place. You look at some cosmetic procedure websites and they will give like one set of before and after photos. If the treatment was effective they would have a load more. You then find the same photos turning up on another website. 8-[

I have a few friends who work in marketing and as they always tell me,

"The number one rule in marketing is to tell the customer what they want to hear"

Its pretty immoral in my opinion and I do enjoy giving them grief about it. I remember Rupert Murdoch once being interviewed about the things he liked most about life. One of the things was he mentioned was marketing,

"I love it, its legalised lieing".

That was a great post Heidi very eloquent and easy to empathise with. Like I say to any derm I see, I'm not expecting a miracle, but their is a HUGE difference between a solid improvement in scarred skin and just say rounding off the edges or turning one big scar into 3 smaller ones.

I am not after perfection. I see plenty of people with rough or poor quality skin, skin they may not be happy with, but I would be overjoyed with. When the sun catches my face from the side I look genuinely hideous. I've looked at my face from all angles in clear sunlight and in soft daylight and I don't just look like I have bad skin, I look like a freak.

Why after years of dealing with scars are most derms so insensitive and rude and why are companies allowed to get away with false advertising? Acne and scars causes genuine misery and can result in suicide. It makes people's lives a living hell and can ruin someone's ability to function as a normal member of society.

When I last complained about the inadequacy of my treatment I was given a mini lecture and shown photographs of someone who had it much worse than me. Big deal. How does my suck, suck less because someone else in a much worse position?

In the meantime I'm stuck trying to make the best of a bad situation. So I will probably have a lot more Isolagen treatments until I get 0% improvement from each injection. I will also risk light touch laser resurfacing treatments in a similar fashion. If the risk far outweighs the benefit then i'll call it a day. To have to wrestle with derms to get appropriate treatment is a disgrace.

Any derm who suiggests anything more than a 40% improvement maximum with any treatment is courting another suicide case. From personal experience I was told to expect 90% improvement from CO2 to only get maybe 40% after 2 treatments and much worse skin quality as well.

I'm sick of being treated as if I'm vain for just desperately wanting to look normal. The way we are treated by most doctors at the moment is a huge disgrace.

Sorry for the rant, but it gets so hard to express what you really feel that to read a post like Heidi's really makes it all rise to the surface. Thanks again to her and Maya, Oursfan and everyone else out there trying their best in a bad situation and helping others along the way.

Good post AntzinPantz.

Cos nobody understands us better than this forum its the ideal place to let off steam and most of us succumb.

These days I'm hopelessly confused on the forum to what people mean by % improvement. I'm taking it to mean if you have a scar say 2mm indented from the normal skin surface then a 40% improvement means the scar is now only 1.2mm indented from the skin surface?

Please anybody reading let me know on what type of measurement you base your % improvement. If its % imrpovement of the area in comparison to normal skin then I'll be pretty cheery. I've no delusion that my skin will not get scar free.

Why after years of dealing with scars are most derms so insensitive and rude

Hi everyone: I just wanted to say thanks for being so nice in your posts. Knowing that somehow my own experience may be helping others makes me feel better about the whole situation.

I will keep you updated once I get the sixth injection.

On a positive note, about a month ago Dr Chu told me "his team" was given permission to study how isolagen works on scars. I don't know more than that.

Perhaps this will lead to ways to improve the product?? Who knows.

Dr Markey labelled Isolagen as "cellular therapy" and that is what it is - not a filler, not a laser not a resurfacing tool but something all together different. I do believe if Isolagen is going to improve Dr Chu will be instrumental in that change. He knows so much about the product and now he has treated a lot of people so he is familiar with the results.

heidi

Lets not forget that marketing in general is just a load of old balls. Thats the reason I found this site in the first place. You look at some cosmetic procedure websites and they will give like one set of before and after photos. If the treatment was effective they would have a load more. You then find the same photos turning up on another website.  8-[  

I have a few friends who work in marketing and as they always tell me,

\"The number one rule in marketing is to tell the customer what they want to hear\"

Its pretty immoral in my opinion and I do enjoy giving them grief about it. I remember Rupert Murdoch once being interviewed about the things he liked most about life. One of the things was he mentioned was marketing,

\"I love it, its legalised lieing\".