Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
haloflies

How bad does acne have to be for Accutane

I've been on tazorac, benzaclin, and doxycycline for over a year now, and it's getting worse. Just bad enough that all these meds can't control my acne. I just want to quit all these routines and get on Accutane, but I'm not sure if I will even be able to get it perscribed.

Please share any experiences or info on the level of acne a normal candidate for Accutane must have.

i definitly suggest trying out retina a before accutane. ( edit) oh sorry i did not realize u already had tried topical retinoids :-k

I had mild acne for years. No oral or topical treatments produced results. My derm suggested Accutane since I responded to nothing else. So far, Accutane is working beautifully. Talk with your derm.

Good Luck

Well my doc has been trying to get me to go on Accutane for awhile... and my acne is pretty darn mild. The top three reasons to use it are for persistent, severe, or scarring acne. So if you have persistent acne I'm sure he wouldn't mind sticking you on it. Just ask him about it.

in my case i would say i had mild acne, like 2-4 pimples @ the time.. some small, some big(ger) main reason the derm put me on it was the fact that over the years (had acne for 20+ years) i tried pretty much everything w/o satisfying results.

Simple tell to your derm how bad do you feel with your acne ( if you have to cry , cry wink.gif ) and show to him that you know a lot about the med biggrin.gif

I asked my derm for accutane on a few occasions, but he always said my acne wasn't bad enough to merit accutane. Because the derm was so busy teaching at a medical school, getting an appointment with him was difficult. So I got an appointment with another derm in the same office.

The first thing he says to me is if I'd consider trying accutane. It just shows how different derms have different opinions about accutane.

Before accutane, I tried just about every acne med available with poor results. But accutane made a big difference. It wiped-out my cystic acne for good. Now I only have a minor acne problem. I'd say accutane was one of the biggest events of my life, changed it for the better.

i had the same thing happening to me, 2 derms (one in another office, one in the same office i still go to) told me, it's not severe enough.. the derm i know have analyzed all the years & cr%p i've been trying & said, yeah why not... yeah :}

Just like many other peple said, you have to find the right derm.....and that could take some time. With me, I had ver very mild acne..for awhile and went to the derm, mainly I had HUGE hard cyst that lasted for months and the mark is still there by the way, and also there was a cyst near my eye and nose so the 1st thing out of his mouth was lets try some tazorac and if you dont look any better we'll put you on accutane..here is your book and here is your prescription....

2 months later he said your face looks better, you can either stay on this or go on accutane, and I said stay with the routine I have now, and now i am pretty much pimple free, just red marks and thats it

by the way.. my meds went a little something like this

Doxy

Plexion

tazorac

Yep seek accutane you have tried the other treatments and it just doesnt seem to work. Accutane is for all acne types. With that being said accutane shouldn't be the first course of action anyone should use to deal with acne. If you have tried other prescribe medication by your doctor and it doesnt work then by all means go for it.

i have tried so many different meds, and im on virtually the strongest topical medications as well as a stronger oral antibiotic. my doctor said i would grow out of it, most likely within 2 years, but its been 1 since i've been on medication, and its just not getting better.

man, 1 year ago, i thought i had it bad...and i was on dan's routine. i never imagined that i would ever think that just bp was GENTLE on my skin. hahah. now i literally burn it in the mornings, and peel it at night..or at least thats what it feels like.

i'm just ready for a change...ready for something permanent.

ok. so my derm was an idiot...he wasn't able to spot the cancerous mole on my back...which i was told NEEDED to be removed..

and NO ACCUTANE. i'm so pissed.

looks like i'm going to be making some more visits to new derms.

You might want to go to your old derm one more time and tell him you are really frustrated and really don't want to mess around with topicals and such that don't seem to be working. At first my daughter's derm said no to accutane, then changed her mind after it was clear it wasn't going away. She could see how frustrated we were getting. If you start with a new derm, the new one won't know that you've already exhausted your other options. Just a thought.

that would work, but my old derm is across the country. ugghh. and he was my family doctor, so not really able to deal much with accutane.

so for now, i guess i'll find the place that looks like a malpractice warehouse. i'm sure they'll prescribe it to just about anybody...just gotta find one...

I am hopefully going to be going on accutane in 2 weeks (praying every night). HOw long about does it take until you start seeing any improvements in your skin? I really love this website to know that I am not alone in what I am going through. All of you on here I really do feel your pain. I will post weekly pics of me while on accutane hopefully just to show anyone else wondering how its works. Thanks everyone, I'm sure I'll be coming back here a lot.