Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
harley2bradley

Differin vs. Retin A: Opinions needed

Hello:

I have been fighting acne for about 13 years now( the never ending battle) and I have used everything short of acutane. I have grade II to III acne. I am currently using differin 1.0 solution and it works o.k. but I still get a severe red nodule or two about once a month. The differin does not seem to really affect the nodules and they almost always leave a small to medium sized scar. At this rate I will have a face full of small and medium scars in the next five years. I was wondering if anyone had used retin A and if retin A produced better results on their acne. I also wanted to know if retin A helps the red marks and the smaller and less deep scars to fade. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've had acne for about 20 yrs.. I feel Retin A Micro is far superior to differin for shedding cells, and better for clearing red marks. You might also try using a glycolic solution during the day (15% works for me). I also do a monthly glycolic peel of 30% glycolic acid. This keeps the red marks fading. Your grade of acne would be cured with Accutane. It may only last from 6-24 months, but it's remarkable during that time. Then take it again after the affects wear off. Accutane is the best thing I ever did (took it 2x in 7 years and no one know I suffer from acne, that's how clear my skin is). And I had no side affects. Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice. I have a couple of more questions though. Do you use the glycolic acid while using the Retin-A or at different times? Does it cause any extra side effects with the Retin-A?

I have tried to get acutane but all the dermatoligists I have seen said my acne is not severe enough for acutane. They have told me it would not be worth the side effects and possible long term effects. And I am honestly a little skeptical of wheter or not acutane may have severe long term health effects. But if it works like the people on the boards say, I may go for it. Would be nice to have no acne for once in my adult life. Thanks for all the help.

I used the Differin Cream for some time and it did absolutely NOTHING for me. For the scars try applying Vitamin E, Vita K Solution, or Neosporin makes them less noticeable. Red marks you can put some lemon juice (freshly squeezed or from the lemon shaped bottle) only on the marks! Good Luck!

P.S.- Lots of other boards have said that Retin A cause More redness!