Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Its just for my social anxiety but is anybody else on this type of medication? I am 18 years old and never have had a girlfriend. I know its sad but along with getting teased in junior high and getting acne in 8th grade my self esteem is shit. I feel as if i need a relationship to get out of my depression but im constantly worried if i do get into a relationship ill have this huge breakout. Life can suck, huh?

im just worried that this paxil will make me someone who isnt me. I want to feel anger and sadness, after all I am human. But i hate having low self esteem and this my only solution. I just hope it doesnt create bad side effects.

I had a friend who immediately got off of Paxil when she read up on it, apparently it's habit forming.

I think that Doctors are so quick to prescribe anti-depressants like they are candy and it's starting to frustrate me.

Were you showing signs of depression and anger? I thought those were normal for an 18 year old (or a teenager)

How did you try treating yourself before you got paxil? It should be a last resort and only temporary until you figure some stuff out for yourself about your life. Paxil is habit-forming. You don't want to be on it for the rest of your life. Try to find what the cause is so you can be drug-free and feel good at the same time.

I have said it before. Anti-depressants, supress, or at best, bypass the problem. They don't solve it. Depression, to me, and many others, is not some mystic chemical imbalance, but a symptom of something in your life. Principle of cause and effect. Fix the cause, don't supress the effect.

Try and fix your life up, it's hard, but there's many ways.

Its for a number of things. Ill just put them in a list:

1) Very shy around people and I can rarely talk to new people

2)I get panic attacks alot when im around large crowds and such, i feel like all eyes are on me constantly

3)I inherited a chemical imbalance from my father, it causes wierd emotional problems as I get very angry at the simplest things, I tend to go overboard. And when i finally do get married and have kids i dont want my temper to become a problem like it was with my parents's marriage

4)I want to feel curageous, i want to ask women on dates and go to the movies with freinds, I want to make new friends, I want to be able to go out into public again and feel confident about myself.

I go back to the doctor in two weeks to see how things are going, she started me out on a low dosage so ill tell her to move me to zoloft as i know that my father took it without problems. Thanks everyone for your support.

Just make sure to be aware when you're on these drugs. If you notice any problems, talk to your doctor right away. I think you do have social anxiety, judging from what you posted. There's no reason to live like that, so don't give up. God bless.

Thanks again for all your support. Ive tried to find the problem and repair it but it goes deeper than I thought. When I was a kid my father and mother constantly got into fights, this was from my fathers chemical imbalance. I really have no memory of my childhood, i only remember the moments that I was mad or imbarassed. I think I blocked those years out of my brain subconsciously because of the fights and my unpopularity in grade school.

When I was in fifth grade my father got diagnosed with leukemia. The leukemia he had eventually went into remission but in a year the leukemia came back, this time it was more severe. After chemotherapy and radiation he once again got better and the leukemia was put into remission. This was all during fifth grade through fresheman year of highschool. During the years my dad was in the hospital in San Fransisco and my mom in SF too(we live about 5 hours aways from SF) I was getting teased in school and didnt have any support because we were living with our grandparents.

I was being teased in school because these two guys were constantly embarrasing me in front the whole junior high. At that time I didnt know what they were calling me(fairy) because my father never gave me "the talk". Later I found out they were calling me gay even though Im not or never was. I never stood up to them and let them walk all over me. This and other teasing went on throughout junior high until the middle of freshman year. At the end of 8th grade my father got diagnosed again with leukemia. Because his body was still weak from the other two times he got sick, he past away in the middle of freshmen year because of an infection. His body had no antibodies because in leukemia your white blood count goes down. Thats when the teasing stopped because i guess the whole school felt bad(I went to a very small school). After the mourning and stuff, my mom went into depression, you could probably call it a mild form of insanity. She had 4 boyfriends until the time she finally became sane again. SHe was also wierd during that time and I dont want to go into that.

My acne also became a problem during 8th grade, and since I didnt know how to treat it it became really bad because i fooled around with the cysts. It was making my already low selfesteem even lower. THis story is just a rough cut and alot more happened. Anyway enough with my story..

I am now in college and i do not want to feel like I do anymore. I really feel this medication is necessary to get me out of my problem. My acne has gone down alot and only get the odd pimple now (thanks to dans and later blochas regimen). I really feel I need to make up for the "lost" years of my life and start to really live my life. I want to be normal.

I also forgot to add that during my fathers treatment the doctors put him on zoloft and his chemical imbalance was not a problem anymore. During those years our family was actually normal and my father was a changed man. We tried to make up for all the lost years and healed alot of wounds. My father was never abusive, he was just distant and quick to anger. I was mostly scared of him and was never close to him. We finally got closer during those last years where he wasnt in the hospital. Im not good with words so im not sure i can accuratly describe what it was like, just that he became a new man before he died.

Hi jdhooghe85,

Wow... I can really empathize with a lot of the stuff that you've said.

I'm 21 and I'm taking Zoloft (it's pretty similar to Paxil) right now for depression. It works quite well, and it doesn't make me feel like a different person at all, but I know its just a temporary fix until I can deal with the (various) underlying causes of my depression.

It sounds like you just started taking Paxil--it takes a few weeks to work usually, so you'll find out exactly what kind of effects it has on you pretty soon. The thing with these kind of drugs is...they do different things to different people. For example, Zoloft works great for me, but I know some people for whom it's caused *huge* problems. You've just gotta find the one that works for you. It can take a while though, 'cause it takes so long to see the drugs' effects.

But anyway... yeah, my mom also had a chemical imbalance (to put it mildly...) that caused her to always be angry and get into fights with my dad. And she wouldn't take her medicine. =P She's not dead, but sometimes I wish she was...

Seeing what it's done to her life and the lives of people around her, I *so* hope I didn't inherit what she has. I won't find out for a few more years though.

I also very much know what it's like to feel like you're unlovable because of never having had a significant other. My first boyfriend did wonders for my self esteem. Not because he was particularly wonderful himself (in fact, he kinda sucked...), but because it proved to me that somebody *could* find me attractive.

I didn't really think anyone would... I mean, everybody picked on me all through school. It wasn't because of my acne at all though--they picked on me waaay before that. I'm a geek though, so it kinda goes with the territory. =D

Having said that, I hope you're aware that whatever you need in order to be happy isn't going to come from someone else. Getting a girlfriend might make you feel more comfortable about some things that have been bothering you, but you'll still have just as many problems as you do now.

Take care,

- Zha