Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Varran

Hello, long post & advice deeply appreciated

Hello all, First off I would just like to say this this website and its community are brilliant, it has helped me a lot throughout the journey that is acne.

My name is Johnnie and am on my second month of Istretinoin ( Roaccutane ), my acne has bassically cleared up which is a very big surprise to me. My whole face was bassically inflammed with whiteheads but it has bassically vanished. But of course thats only half the journey, I am now dealing with the scars and thats why I'm posting here, I would really appreciated any advice that you could give. I am 17 and on Roaccutane, I'm not sure for how much longer yet, I have red marks & scars which are quite noticeable at the moment. I have 1 Ice pick scar on my cheek and the rest are small shallow ones that are on my inner cheeks. I have had acne since i was 13.5 so my scars are pretty new I think. My face is slightly red which I'm putting down to having acne only 2 months ago and being on Roaccutane which makes my scars look worse.

At the moment I am dealing with them by being careful when I shave, applying Garnier Pure-A daily imperfection moisturiser, Bio-oil and then normal essential care vaseline. When I run my fingers over the affected areas they feel quite smooth which I'm hoping means that they arent too bad.

I know that my scars will get slightly better on their own with time and im hoping the bio-oil helps them fade. Plus I think Roaccutane thins the skin so they look worse than they are. I am going to ask my dermatologist if the NHS has any treatments for mild scarring.

I have heard of chemical peels and how they can help scarring and the such but I have also heard that they are somewhat risky things to undertake, I would love to hear from anyones personal experience and opinions for mild scarring. I am quite pale skinned.

I also think I may have some pore damage, I do not know much about this and would like to know if theres anyway to tell that from normal acne scarring.

After I have finished my Roaccutane course I plan to take certain supplments like Omega 3,6+9, zinc to help the scars but I would love to hear peoples success stories from supplements and mild approaches to dealing with acne scars. I don't belive my scars are serious enough to get collagen fillers or the like.

I have read other peoples posts and the stickys and have taken as much of it in as I can and would really appreicate any help that you could give me. Also I apologise for the long post and will probably make updates when I remember stuff I forgot to put in :P.

Ok I feel very silly now, I didn't say my main question :P.

What I really wanted to know was what are the best ways to reduce the apperance of mild scars with different approchaes. I know my scars will always be with me but I wanted to know the best way of reducing their appearances even slghtly, through supplements etc. Also I am prepared to give procedures and techniques time to work.

Thank you.

Ok I feel very silly now, I didn't say my main question :P.

What I really wanted to know was what are the best ways to reduce the apperance of mild scars with different approchaes. I know my scars will always be with me but I wanted to know the best way of reducing their appearances even slghtly, through supplements etc. Also I am prepared to give procedures and techniques time to work.

Thank you.

look into fraxel repair. Best laser thus far. And I don't know what you mean by accutane "thins out the skin". No such thing.

Thanks Ill look into fraxel.

I may be wrong then about accutane but its just I read that you cant get waxxed 6 months post accutane as the skin can rip etc. I was told by dermatologist that my skin would be more fragile during the course.

Thanks Ill look into fraxel.

I may be wrong then about accutane but its just I read that you cant get waxxed 6 months post accutane as the skin can rip etc. I was told by dermatologist that my skin would be more fragile during the course.

this is true, wait after the 6 months.

Many will tell you that fraxel won't do shit, but it's the best treatment out there thus far. Needling might do you some good, but can cause you more damage and more scarring. If you have some money to spare, look into fraxel.