Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey All,

I suffered from moderate acne, but have been on tazorac the last three months or so and I've seen a substantial improvement. However, even before I started taking taz and now, I notice that I have VERY oily skin. I watch my face about every 6 hours (sometimes every 4-5). This is because my skin gets VERY oily VERY fast. I live and plan my schedule around 6 hour intervals so I can come back to my college dorm room to wash my face. Its terribly inconvenient. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone knows anything i could perhaps take to control the oil and if anybody also sufferes from such oily skin such as mine. Your replies are much appreciated. Thanks.

Hey All,  

I suffered from moderate acne, but have been on tazorac the last three months or so and I've seen a substantial improvement. However, even before I started taking taz and now, I notice that I have VERY oily skin. I watch my face about every 6 hours (sometimes every 4-5). This is because my skin gets VERY oily VERY fast. I live and plan my schedule around 6 hour intervals so I can come back to my college dorm room to watch my face. Its terribly inconvenient. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone knows anything i could perhaps take to control the oil and if anybody also sufferes from such oily skin such as mine. Your replies are much appreciated. Thanks.

thanks for your reply....Is b5 a topical or an oral medication?...Also, has anyone else seen improvement in oily skin while taking B5 or any other meds?

How many times do you wash your face? Overwashing can cause an overproduction of oil. It's recommended that you wash only 2 times a day, although I wash three times daily, since I like to take all my make-up off after work.

thanks for your reply....Is b5 a topical or an oral medication?...Also, has anyone else seen improvement in oily skin while taking B5 or any other meds?

my skin is VERY oily too.

people have recommended

Eucerin Daily Control & Care Moisturizer,

Neutrogena Extra Gentle Cleanser

Neutrogena Oil-free Moisture

Eucerin Clean Skin formula daily control & care moisture cream... No SPF

or cetaphil

i have no idea which one to pick....

if ur skins that oily then dont moisturise.

is ur face dry and red and tight after washing?

If my skin wasnt then I wouldnt moisturise at all.

i have to moisturize though because of the tazorac...does anyone any medication i can take to deacrease oilyness?...and also has anybody taken b5 and whats there results?

if ur skins that oily then dont moisturise.

is ur face dry and red and tight after washing?

If my skin wasnt then I wouldnt moisturise at all.

I use oil blotting sheets, they help my face looking much less oily ==> help prevent breakout as well. I use Clinique sheets. Hope this help.

i use avodart . oilyness is mostly due to hormonal inbalance, avodart can help with that. my skin was just like yours, i would take a shower and a few hours later my hair and face would be very oily. i have great success with avodart

can men take avodart? also im taking minocylcine...do you kow if avodart has any adverse sideeffects with mino...and lastly, does avodart also help in preventing acne? thanks.

you should check out OC Eight Oil Control Genius.

this is what pharmacy2u says about it:

Description

A breakthrough in skin care that puts you in control of oil and shine. Unique formula with Acrysorb, invisible micro-particles that lock away surface oil on contact. 

Indications

Unique formula OC8 contains Acrysorb - an invisable oil-absorbing polymer. It's micro-particles can absorb and trap up to six time their own volume of facila oil (sebum). The result is clear, shine-free skin for up to 8 hours.

Skin care/make-up - OC8 has been formulated with a light moisturising base. It doesn't dry your skin and as a result use of an additional moisturiser should not be necessary. OC8 is alcohol free and won't cause irritation. What's more, it's non-comedogenic, which means it doesn't encourage spot formation. OC8 soaks up the sebum that causes your face to shine and your make up to streak and run. If applying make-up wait until your face is dry to the touch. Make sure you choose oil-free make-up. 

Directions

If you use a cleanser, cleanse first. Then apply OC8 every morning as part of your daily skin care routine. Gently massage into your face using light circular movements, paying particular attention to your forehead and nose (T-zone). OC8 has been formulated to last for up to 8 hours, but can be re-applied if required during the day. More information available at www.oc8.co.uk 

oily skin..maybe try

Cetaphil® Daily Facial Cleanser For Normal to Oily Skin

Won't clog pores!

Cetaphil® Daily Facial Cleanser For Normal to Oily Skin is effective for normal, combination or oily skin. Its non-irritating formula is designed to remove surface oils, dirt and makeup without leaving skin feeling tight or overly dry. It is a foaming cleanser that leaves skin with a clean feeling. It doesn't leave behind any irritating residue and is non-comedogenic. Available in an 8-ounce bottle.

user posted image

That OC8 stuff is essentially the same thing as Clinac OC. They say it takes two weeks of consistent use to make any difference in oil, but it didn't do a thing for me. I used Clinac BPO (prescription only) as well, which has the Acrysorb as well as 7% BP, and that dried my skin out like crazy. I ended up looking like I had a sunburn, and most of the time I was still oily. The directions say to apply up to three times a day, but I think if anyone did that they'd end up with no skin left! But the BP version did work better than the other one.

The best thing I've found yet is Sebasorb, which contains salicylic acid and some stuff called attapulgite. Though I'm a little confused about this product as well. The first couple days I used it, I was just about entirely oil free all day long. This was really, really strange to me. I've been using it for about two weeks now, and it still makes a huge difference in my level of oiliness, but I still look oily in about 4-5 hours. That's REALLY good for me smile.gif

Those oil blotting sheets do help too, but there are much less expensive brands than Clinique that work as well. The Clean & Clear ones are the most like Clinique - basically the same except bright blue. Burt's Bees makes a cheap and interesting version, though the sheets are still small. My favorite is Palladio oil-absorbing rice powder tissues. They're a little bit larger than the other brands, very inexpensive, and one side is lightly dusted with rice powder which helps absorb oil even more. You can use the powder-free side too, though.

trust me please apple cider vinegar will help alot with oily skin there is a whole thread on it check it out!!

i have really oily skin too. the best advice i've came accross on this board is probally to pat on moisturizer instead of rubbing it in. what i do is apply it to my neck and smooth it around, then get the smallest amount on my fingers possible and lightly pat my skin. Play around with how much u pat in. This has helped me alot. My skin sometimes looks oily during the day so i splash a little bit of water on my face, ive found splashing water is just as effective as really washing your face again, and is less irratating. I dont know if the rumors are true about your face producing more oil to compensate for dry skin but if it is, your face has already overproduced oil, so splashing the water only removes the excess, and your skin wont need to produce more again.

Seriously get those oil sucking sheets from your nearest pharmacy. I think Clean and Clear makes packs. I carry around a pack at all times and swab my face whenever it feels oily. This will help prevent breakouts as well. Be careful not to overdo it as your skin might produce more oil to compensate for you swabbing every 30 minutes or something ridiculous like that. I usually use it every two-three hours.

been using Cetaphil® Daily Facial Cleanser For Normal to Oily Skin

skin is still oily, maybe a little bit less than before, nonetheless..

i never used to have oily skin just mostly flaky skin if anything at all, now all of a sudden i got oily skin, what the f**k