Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
depressedj

VERY OILY SKIN..PLEASE HELP!

Hey All,

I suffered from moderate acne, but have been on tazorac the last three months or so and I've seen a substantial improvement. However, even before I started taking taz and now, I notice that I have VERY oily skin. I watch my face about every 6 hours (sometimes every 4-5). This is because my skin gets VERY oily VERY fast. I live and plan my schedule around 6 hour intervals so I can come back to my college dorm room to watch my face. Its terribly inconvenient. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone knows anything i could perhaps take to control the oil and if anybody also sufferes from such oily skin such as mine. Your replies are much appreciated. Thanks.

You really cant change how oily your skin is. You can only hope to control it. I use a moisturizer with oily absorbing powers but I still need to wipe the oil of my face every 2 to 3 hours because it so shiny. I use oil absorbing sheets.

for some reason wipes tend to break me out...im not sure why...what moisturizer do you use? Also what kinda wipes do you guys use?

i have very oily skin as well, and mild acne. Im goin to the derm this monday , and she is goin to perform jessner peels on my face. I heard there was lots of success on elminating oily skin and acne. wish me luck

Unfortunately theres nothing you can really do, oil production is controlled by the male hormone so women can take anti-testosterone pills but theres nothing really for men accept maybe roaccutane which is a short term fix.

Hi, depressedj

Like you I have extremely oily skin. I can wash my face, then 3 hours later it looks like I'm wearing an oil slick! I also adjust my schedule so as to wash my face every 3 hours or so. Many times I have heard that washing my skin so often is bad for it, or that it will increase the oilyness or make the acne worse. But in my experience, that isn't true. In fact, if I don't wash so often, my acne condition gets worse.

Here's what I do:

I use cetaphil liquid soap. You can use it as often as you want, and it doesn't dry out your skin. And you can wipe it off without water, so you can carry a small bottle of it with you when you travel.

I also use Clean & Clear - Clear Touch oil absorbing sheets, by Johnson and Johnson. It soaks up the oil real good.

I've also use vitamine B5. For me it worked - reduced the oilyness and acne greatly. But it only seems to work for a few months, then its benefits drop off. I'm giving it a break for a couple of months, then I'll resume taking it.

Hope this helps,

Ben

when you say the benefits dropped off do you mean that it just stopped working all together or is stoped working as well fo rthe b5??? also im taking minocycline right now, so would b5 have an adverse reaction with the mino? thanks.

when you say the benefits dropped off do you mean that it just stopped working all together or is stoped working as well fo rthe b5??? also im taking minocycline right now, so would b5 have an adverse reaction with the mino? thanks.

this are the only things that really work to reduce the oil production

Accutane

azelaic acid

topical antiandrogens

may be topical isotretinoin or tretinoin

depressedj,

This is how it worked for me: B5 reduced my oil production greatly, perhaps by 90%. I still had oil, but very little. I only had to wash my face once or twice/day. I was a happy camper! This lasted for about 12 wks.

Then, each day I noticed a little more oil. By the end of the 15th week, my face was much oilyer, but still less than before taking B5. At this time, I stopped taking B5. By the 17th week my oilyness is the same like it was before I started B5. I figure I'll hold off on B5 for about 2 months, then take it again.

About the B5 & mino together? I can't say. Perhaps you should discuss that with your derm.

azelaic acid and atopical antiandrogens? Gee, don't know what those are.

Do derms perscribe those?

I have extremly oily skin too ..... greasy looking I may add. First, DO NOT wash your face so much [-X . You are probably making your oily skin more oily.

I have been doing the following things to help control my oil. It is still oily but the greasiness is going away.

I wash my face only twice a day (unless I was sweating).

I use diluted apple cider vinegar (helps with the oil and clears up acne too).

I drink a lot of water (with lemon).

I take vitamins including zinc (which someone mentioned on another board that helps control oil).

I use the Clean and Clear sheets. I love them. Use them everyday, actually every hour. This helps absorbs the oil without messing up your make-up.

I am still looking for ways to help control my oil. My oily skin is probably the thing that bothers me the most. The above items only help control it as I am still oily throughout the day. I will continue to look for other ways to help it. I heard a small amount of milk of magnesia helps control the oil throughout the day. I have yet to try it but I will ... someday.

GOOD LUCK.

Hey I too have very oily skin and I use the same process for cleaning and prevention that you use. I love the Clean and clear sheets. I am also using Proactive but instead of the Proactive toner I use Apple Cider vinegar (not diluted). I wish I could really get RID of the oily skin ~ I always joke with myself saying I could fry an EGG on my face.

I don't wear make up but I am looking into getting some type of foundation that won't promote acne and it is nice to know that the Clean and Clear sheets don't mess up the make up.

Aurelia

I wash my face only twice a day (unless I was sweating).

I use diluted apple cider vinegar (helps with the oil and clears up acne too).

I drink a lot of water (with lemon).

I take vitamins including zinc (which someone mentioned on another board that helps control oil).

I use the Clean and Clear sheets.  I love them.  Use them everyday, actually every hour.  This helps absorbs the oil without messing up your make-up.

I have very oily skin as well, I use b-5 which helped it a lot and Gatsby Brand Oil absorbing sheets, it is much better than the clean and clear, it is larger and also cheaper and seems to absorb oil better. It is imported and made in Japan.

Unfortunately theres nothing you can really do, oil production is controlled by the male hormone so women can take anti-testosterone pills but theres nothing really for men accept maybe roaccutane which is a short term fix.

I have extremly oily skin too ..... greasy looking I may add. First, DO NOT wash your face so much  . You are probably making your oily skin more oily. 

Oh, here's another oily skin tip: I've found that paper napkins, usually from fast-food restraunts, do a great job of blotting up the oil. I keep a bunch of them in my glovebox. You have to experiment, some do a better job than others.

Here's one more, although it may seem a bit gross. The toliet seat covers (also called ass-gaskets!) found in public restrooms soak up oil like gang-busters. Something about the thin, brittle paper works better than anything you can buy. So the next time you're like a King, sitting on your thrown, give it a try. Just be sure to use a clean one!

palladio rice paper

They can be found at harmons or sally beauty supply. They are wonderful. They absorb the oil and shine and keep it away for awhile. I love them.

Hey All,

I suffered from moderate acne, but have been on tazorac the last three months or so and I've seen a substantial improvement. However, even before I started taking taz and now, I notice that I have VERY oily skin. I watch my face about every 6 hours (sometimes every 4-5). This is because my skin gets VERY oily VERY fast. I live and plan my schedule around 6 hour intervals so I can come back to my college dorm room to watch my face. Its terribly inconvenient. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone knows anything i could perhaps take to control the oil and if anybody also sufferes from such oily skin such as mine. Your replies are much appreciated. Thanks.

Where do you people order Vitamin B5, I've looked around and I can't find the specific vitamin..

(preferably someone who ships to Europe - Netherlands).