Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hockey_allstar10

Drinking on accutane...

I know that you're not supposed to drink alcohol on accutane but sometimes I cave in and do. Anyways I was wondering if it's more dangerous to take my pills on a day that I know I'm going to drink or does it make no difference because it's already in my blood? I was also wondering what other peoples experiences were from drinking on accutane?

I am going to start my 4th month soon and I drink pretty much every weekend. I have had one blood test and my liver levels were so good my derm did not make me take a blood test the next month. I have to go on Monday for the next blood test and I am a little worried my liver levels may be a bit high but I am trying to think positive. I eat really healthy and I take milk thistle which is suppossed to be for liver health. Last night I had 3 beers over a course of like 4 hours and I felt fine. When I go out and get way drunk for instance, 4 shots, 8 beers I black out. This particular night I threw up as well. So my advice would be moderation, if you start to feel sick, stop drinking. Also try to drink a glass of water every now and then while out drinking alcohol that will help you feel better. Also before bed drink as much water as you possibly can I notice when I do this my hangover is not as bad the next morning. Since being on the medication I get drunk a lot quicker than I normally would. BEing that the accutane is already in your bloodstream I dont' think it would make a difference if you skipped taking pills on a day you were going to drink but that is just my opinion and I am in no way a professional on taking the meds so really it is up to you. Me personally I would not want to skip a day of taking the pills.

I'm on my 7th week and my face is pretty clear. I drink basically almost every other day and eat any food I feel like eating. One thing I would reconmend though is to try to drink alcohol at a safe and tolerable amount. Don't over kill it by drinking like a 6 pack or something, keep it to a minimum. Try to remember that your liver is working overtime due to the accutane that is there. I drink about 3 or 4 beers a day.

I definitely skip my pill the nights I plan on drinking. Accutane will still be in your system, but at a lower amount and therefore lessens the workload on the liver.

I never get sick or black out, and I drink a decent amount on those nights. A few times I've even skipped taking my tane the day after as well, because I still feel so dehydrated. My acne hasn't flared up and my monthly labs have been far below borderline. I guess everyone is different, but I try to be as easy on my liver as possible because I need it!

Hey there.

It depends on each indervidual and their bodies.

During my first course of Roaccutane I drank alcohol here and there, not much at all and I felt fine in the first month or two but then all of a sudden I got really sick after a night out drinking(didnt even have all that much too drink) and yeah went to the docs had some blood tests done and he said my liver levels were that high that some scarring would have occured. Took ages for me to get better..so on this second course that I've just started I'm not touching the stuff. But I mean thats just me..everyone reacts differently. However my advice is, if you are going to drink only have one or two just to be on the safe side because trust me it feels horrible having a stuffed up liver :sick:

All the very best.

I will be completely abstaining from alcohol while on accutane. I love beer and football season is coming up with lots of tailgating planned so it's going to kill me not to drink.

i just started 120mg per day and my doc said ok to drink. i didn't even ask. he just said mu liver is working on the accutane so cant process the alcohol as fast and that i would just be a lightweight. he said "start today" and i told him i had a bachelor party and he said then start tomorrow. just baby the drinks he said. i got a wedding tomorrow so i will know in 48 hours

I drink on accutane sometimes and i'm fine the next day and my derm doesn't say not to.

It does make me terribly dehydrated and that can cause problems. Be careful cause it's summer so it's hot and then alcohol is a diuretic which pretty much pulls water from your body and tells it to get rid of it. Besides accutane generally makes us so dry to begin with.